Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rick Venturi's in depth assessment of Game 1.

Lawrence Owen

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

I agree with you on this front. Rangy LBs like Telvin Smith of the Jags and the hybrid LB role that Deone Bucannon of the Cardinals plays, has made positions like those of Geathers out of style, IMO. 

Agreed.

I also liked the comment by Venturi where he said the lack of pressure on Luck was due to scheme change, and that whenever he tried to set up longer to go more vertical, like last year,  he still got pressured. 

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

Agreed.

I also liked the comment by Venturi where he said the lack of pressure on Luck was due to scheme change, and that whenever he tried to set up longer to go more vertical, like last year,  he still got pressured. 

In all fairness, if you set up to go deep, you have to hold the ball longer than 2-3 seconds.  Asking 5 people to block out 4-5 people for longer than that in the NFL EVERY time is nonsense.  There will be pressure on most plays from anyone who sits back in a pocket for 3-4+ seconds, unless that defense is either really bad, or you dropped a lineman back into coverage.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

In all fairness, if you set up to go deep, you have to hold the ball longer than 2-3 seconds.  Asking 5 people to block out 4-5 people for longer than that in the NFL EVERY time is nonsense.  There will be pressure on most plays from anyone who sits back in a pocket for 3-4+ seconds, unless that defense is either really bad, or you dropped a lineman back into coverage.

They should run out of max. protect enough to set those long plays out of max. protect too. Bengals kept playing single safety high most of the time, it looked like. I am not as enamored with the home run ball as long as we take enough shots down the field but move the chains and score enough points. 

8 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Agreed.  I think part of the success of NEs oline on the long drop back plays is that the Dline has been trained to constantly charge slower, potentially needing to peel back to get Edleman, White, et al on those short pass plays near the LOS.  So when NE actually looks to go long, the dline starts off the ball a bit slower waiting to see if they need to peel off, or at least jump and bat the ball.

If all you do on every pass is have a 5 to 7 step drop, few quick routes, the dline can charge full ahead to the spot the QB will be.  Just a poor offensive scheme that makes any oline look worse than what it is, IMO.