Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deon Cain

horseshoecrabs

I think there’s a good chance of him becoming the number 1 in this offense.  I’ve always said that TY is to small and to inconsistent to be your number 1 option.  However, we’ve seen this before, the WR training camp darling everyone talked about.  Several years ago it was Duron Carter, no longer in the league. Before that Hakeem Nicks had a good training camp and nothing. Chester Rogers had an amazing training camp going until he got hurt and then rarely saw the field even when healthy.  I just think it’s to early.

• Like 1

I think this team will thrive when we become less TY dependent.  Other players need the reps and catches to increase their confidence.  I personally would love to see TY lead us in yards, Rogers in catches, and Cain in TD’s with all 3 having good production across the board.  The less predictable and TY dependent our offense is the more successful we’ll be. 

7 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I think there’s a good chance of him becoming the number 1 in this offense.  I’ve always said that TY is to small and to inconsistent to be your number 1 option.  However, we’ve seen this before, the WR training camp darling everyone talked about.  Several years ago it was Duron Carter, no longer in the league. Before that Hakeem Nicks had a good training camp and nothing. Chester Rogers had an amazing training camp going until he got hurt and then rarely saw the field even when healthy.  I just think it’s to early.

Not to derail the purpose of this thread, but I totally agree with you.  We spend a lot of time calling TY a WR1, because he's our best WR.  But that's not what a WR1 is all about.  A WR1 is the guy who is your possession receiver -- who runs the best routes and consistently makes the catch in traffic.  TY is about speed and separation, and makes his best plays 20 yards down field.  That makes him a WR2.  When he was drafted, his size and speed suggested he would be a slot receiver.  But through shear ability, he broke through that supposition to become our best WR!

Now, Deon Cain is impressing HUGE in camp.  And I love it.  But let's be objective.  He's making making amazing acrobatic catches at the top of the jump, along the sideline.  Great!  That makes you Pierre Garcon.  You won't be Reggie Wayne until you consistently make the 5 yard slant for a first down, in traffic.  Only then will you be a WR1.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

• Thanks 1