Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brett Kollman Film Room: Saquon Barkley Evaluation

Kollman is a good source of player evaluation, he did some last year, including Malik Hooker. Something I worry about taking Barkley is not that he’s a bust– he’s an excellent back– but that he’s be our bust, like he would be better off somewhere else.

Our run blocking over the past few years has been pretty awful. I think Barkley could disguise it with his running ability and Mack to complement him, but it’s something the Colts  would need to work on as a whole. I know new linemen are no doubt coming in this year, but it’s the possibility of our offensive line not being good enough blockers for him that worries me the most. 

That being said, I don’t think we should pass on him if we get the chance. I agree with Kollman on both those points, when he mentions the two big runs he had, but on later runs excluding the breakaway, he averaged less than 3ypc. Then the other point of him being a corner piece of a franchise. We would have a Steeler-esque like trio between Luck-Barkley-Hilton as the Steelers have the killer bees. 

Anyway, watch the evaluation and enjoy! Brent Kollman is one of the best. 

17 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

To be fair I do see that is being plausible.  That our run blocking is so bad that any RB would bust here.  

we need get better at run blocking regardless of who the back is

that shouldnt be a reason to not take him, it should be motivation to improve, even if we dont get him 

Its a deep RB class.  Our running game would be better served getting Nelson at G and a RB in the 3rd than with our current Oline and Barkley at #3.

See what happens in free agency.  If we sign a G, then Barkley makes sense.  If not, we'd have to draft a G if we drafted Barkley.  Then you're using too may high draft picks on O, when Luck returning to a new scheme should be enough to give the O a boost.

I think the pick is Chubb or trade down and get Nelson or a LB.