Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WTHR's McDaniel article

csmopar

https://www.wthr.com/article/mcdaniels-hungry-to-try-to-get-better-as-head-coaching-opportunity-looms-in-indy

PUBLISHED: JAN 30TH, 2018 - 2:58AM (EST)
UPDATED: JAN 30TH, 2018 - 6:58AM (EST)

MINNEAPOLIS (WTHR) — As he prepares to coach the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LII Sunday, Josh McDaniels couldn't escape the questions about his future at Monday's Opening Night.

Eyewitness News sports anchor Jason Spells spoke with McDaniels at the event, formerly known as "Super Bowl Media Day," where the Patriots offensive coordinator talked about what he's learned from a career that has taken him from New England to Denver to St. Louis and back to the Patriots.

"I've learned a lot in my career, whether it's here, my time in Denver and St. Louis, every step of the way has been invaluable to me. I think there's so many good people and so many good coaches and so many good personnel people that are willing to share what they know and help you along the way and I've tried to pick up little things here and there from everybody that I've worked for," McDaniels said. "Sometimes, I think failure is the best teacher and I've learned certainly over the course of my career, whether it was here or somewhere else that things maybe you didn't do as well, you understand what the cause of that is, what the source of it is, and then you try to do it better as you move forward to try to implement it as quickly as you can to try to make yourself better this year."

McDaniels coached the Broncos to an 8-8 record in 2009, then was fired by the team after a 3-9 start in 2010.

"I'm nowhere near a finished product as a coach myself. I love the game of football, and I'm hungry to try to get better and try to serve the guys that I work for and try to serve the people that I work with, so that's the best attitude I can have and hopefully that will serve me well moving forward," he said Monday.

Patriots tight end Dwayne Allen, who played five seasons in Indianapolis, praised his offensive coordinator.

"A wonderful coach, a smart coach, he's a leader and most importantly, he's a winner," Allen said. "Leaving Indianapolis, it was tough. I gave five years of my heart, my sweat, my tears, my blood, in some cases, and I want nothing but the best for that city, so if Josh McDaniels is the choice, then good luck.

While the health of quarterback Andrew Luck may still be a question for Indianapolis headed into the offseason, Allen says the combination of McDaniels and the veteran signal caller would be an exciting one for Colts fans.

"Get ready for a spectacular offense," he said. "Josh McDaniels would be the coach able to give Andrew that challenge he needs to return back to that dominance."

I’m optimistic for several reasons:

The NFL, in spite of the physicality, is really a thinking man’s game and McDaniel has shown he can get players open and change up mid-game. 

Ballard seems like he knows what he is doing and can spot talent.

I don’t think the talent level for the Colts is as bad as some say. Inexperience and injury forced Pagano and staff to play backups so I don’t think we’ve seen the best of what we had to begin with.

The return of Luck (hopefully).

Our draft position.

Money available for FAs.

Even though the schedule looks tough next year, I’m optimistic for next year.