Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colt's Freeagency

wanabecoach

With all the new Administraitve postions that we have filled with coaches and a new GM, it will be interesting to see what there "vision" is that we keep hearing about. Tomorrow kicks off the Combine of course but also what will the vision see through free-agency. I read an intersting little tid bit on NFL.com that the Pitt is worried about Mike Wallace signing with another team. He is a free agent and he does have ties with Bruce Arians. What are the odds of that being the first splash so to say? He is reguarded as one of the fastest players in the entire NFL, something the Colt's don't have a WR currently. Also any other players that you feel should be discussed with a legit shot at landing in Indy. GO COLTS!

With all the new Administraitve postions that we have filled with coaches and a new GM, it will be interesting to see what there "vision" is that we keep hearing about. Tomorrow kicks off the Combine of course but also what will the vision see through free-agency. I read an intersting little tid bit on NFL.com that the Pitt is worried about Mike Wallace signing with another team. He is a free agent and he does have ties with Bruce Arians. What are the odds of that being the first splash so to say? He is reguarded as one of the fastest players in the entire NFL, something the Colt's don't have a WR currently. Also any other players that you feel should be discussed with a legit shot at landing in Indy. GO COLTS!

I think the situation with Wallace is that he is going to get the franchise tag but the Steelers would be unable to match a giant long term contract that some other team can throw at him. Being tagged, that team would have to give up a first round pick to the Steelers, but if you're the Bengals or Pats who have 2 first round picks, you can live with that. So the Colts can't get him unless the want to give the Steelers the #1 overall pick for Wallace.

I think the situation with Wallace is that he is going to get the franchise tag but the Steelers would be unable to match a giant long term contract that some other team can throw at him. Being tagged, that team would have to give up a first round pick to the Steelers, but if you're the Bengals or Pats who have 2 first round picks, you can live with that. So the Colts can't get him unless the want to give the Steelers the #1 overall pick for Wallace.

but doesnt the player have the right to turn down the franchise tag? i could be wrong, thought i heard that somewhere. and if they can then wallace can deny it and find work else where. but as far as the colts signing him, i wouldnt see that happening. he will want to much money. and i doubt he will want to be on a rebuilding team. that is the only hard part about rebuilding is trying to sign big name FA's who are in their 20's still as they want to go to a team with a shot to win.

but doesnt the player have the right to turn down the franchise tag? i could be wrong, thought i heard that somewhere. and if they can then wallace can deny it and find work else where. but as far as the colts signing him, i wouldnt see that happening. he will want to much money. and i doubt he will want to be on a rebuilding team. that is the only hard part about rebuilding is trying to sign big name FA's who are in their 20's still as they want to go to a team with a shot to win.

I don't think the player has the option to turn down the franchise tag. And this year it's lower than previous.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/02/nfl-franchise-tag-period-begins-monday-under-new-rules/1#.T0QsUodmKf5

The player can't turn it down but he doesn't have to sign it which means he doesn't play for anyone until its signed and he doesn't get paid for the year. The problem though is the team has to account for that tag even if the player doesn't sign it so it kinda puts the team in a huge bind and it either forces the team to find a trading partner, take the tag off the table or the player signs it or a long term deal is made. And there is a minus 4000% that the Colts go after Wallace, he is going to want and most likely get, huge money. I also think if someone signs away a franchise player, they are obligated to give up 2 firsts but usually seems to get negotiated down by trading teams. I would guess that Pitt finds some way to hold onto him though.

The player can't turn it down but he doesn't have to sign it which means he doesn't play for anyone until its signed and he doesn't get paid for the year. The problem though is the team has to account for that tag even if the player doesn't sign it so it kinda puts the team in a huge bind and it either forces the team to find a trading partner, take the tag off the table or the player signs it or a long term deal is made. And there is a minus 4000% that the Colts go after Wallace, he is going to want and most likely get, huge money. I also think if someone signs away a franchise player, they are obligated to give up 2 firsts but usually seems to get negotiated down by trading teams. I would guess that Pitt finds some way to hold onto him though.

Is that really a choice?

Don't sign = don't play, and don't get paid.

Sign = play and get paid.