Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who do you think should start week one at QB?

RockThatBlue

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God.....

In this rough, unofficial poll,  Morris wins by roughly 5-to-1.

Didn't see one poster who noted that Tolzein played mostly against the 1's,  and Morris played mostly against the 2's,  3's,  and even the 4's....

All people can see is Morris played better without considering who he was playing against.    

Coaches are typically risk-adverse....    I suspect they'll go with Tolzein,  and I'm OK with that.

I post a story I shared in another thread that almost no one saw.....

At the half-time of the Detroit game,  Ballard was interviewed about the team and when it came to the QB position he basically said that there was nothing new to report about Luck.     That there was some good and bad with Tolzein.     And that Walker was a very nice surprise.      There was not a single word said about Morris.   In fact, Ballard didn't even mention his name.     It was as if Morris wasn't even on the team.

No one here knows how Morris is in practice.   

No one here know how Morris is with the playbook.

No one here know how Morris is with audibles and blocking adjustments.

All fans here know is that they want him to start........

I don't envy Morris if his first start is on the road against a very good Rams defense with Wade Phillips coaching them.

Look NCF, 

Against Wade Phillips it really won't matter what QB you put under center. They're about to be harassed, sacked, & have a horrible day. I just don't see what all the love for Scott is for. He wasn't great in college & he's clearly not even a poor man's Aaron Rogers, even though he was "Discount Double Check's" backup understudy. I know Tolzien. He can't carry or even inspire a team. I don't care who got the most reps with the 1's. It means absolutely nothing. 

Basically, both field generals are going to be running for their lives. 

BTW, I like you NCF, but stop with the guilt trip nonsense. It's really a lame argument. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

The offense seems to light up and play hard when Morris is in there I don't see that with Tolzien is out there.

Yep. With Morris running the show, I feel like all hope is not lost when INDY's offense is trying to move the chains. 

@Newcoltsfan, 

I wasn't mad at you & I get the point you're making. The guy who has handled the ball more with the starting lineup should be given the green light. Risk adversity is like never taking the training wheels off. Put Morris out there just to see if he can generate a spark. 

Wade Philips is gonna come after us like bloodthirsty wolves starving for fresh meat. Throw Morris in there & if he turns the ball over & looks like a deer in headlights, you can always go back to Scott. It's really a question of which guy scrambles faster & slides better to me. 

46 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Look NCF, 

Against Wade Phillips it really won't matter what QB you put under center. They're about to be harassed, sacked, & have a horrible day. I just don't see what all the love for Scott is for. He wasn't great in college & he's clearly not even a poor man's Aaron Rogers, even though he was "Discount Double Check's" backup understudy. I know Tolzien. He can't carry or even inspire a team. I don't care who got the most reps with the 1's. It means absolutely nothing. 

Basically, both field generals are going to be running for their lives. 

BTW, I like you NCF, but stop with the guilt trip nonsense. It's really a lame argument. 

Guilt trip argument?

Sorry,  I don't follow.......

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Guilt trip argument?

Sorry,  I don't follow.......

"Dear God..In this rough, unofficial poll,  Morris wins by roughly 5-to-1...Didn't see one poster who noted that Tolzein played mostly against the 1's,  and Morris played mostly against the 2's,  3's,  and even the 4's...." 

Your tone or word choice would seem to indicate that anyone who thinks Tolzien shouldn't start is a fool or at least extremely naive.

"Dear God" appears to convey outrage on your part. Now, to be fair, perhaps all you were saying is that Scott is being treated like a no nothing scrub which you believed was a mischaracterization of the vast majority of Colt fans. And the forum should be a place where even contrary opinions are respected & listened to. 

Speaking for me & only me here, I just felt that your post came across as a are you folks crazy? We can't put Morris out there week 1? Why not? Okay sure, playing late in games against athletes who won't be playing in the league is hardly an indication of breaking down quality secondary coverage. True. However, you know when a QB has a quick release, pushes the ball decisively downfield, & makes guys blocking feel like if we give Morris time, good things will happen. It's all about drive, momentum, & confidence. Morris gives fans that. 

Remember, Trent Green was the starter in 1999 with the Rams before Kurt Warner took over. I know Morris isn't a future HOF QB. I just mean that kid has something special or more exciting than Scott right now. 

I don't wanna stifle your freedom of expression or creativity NFC. I just have a difference of opinion on which backup gives me the mojo to win early with Luck still out. Keep posting & I promise to keep reading my friend.   

BTW, I'm fully prepared to eat crow. If Scott plays great & Pagano starts popping off wins, I promise to admit publicly that I misread both situations & was way off base. I don't gloat excessively either should I call both the QB & HC situation correctly. Unless we cream a team I hate like Dallas or finally show flashes of Steelers big boy hang time pants in the regular season. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

"Dear God..In this rough, unofficial poll,  Morris wins by roughly 5-to-1...Didn't see one poster who noted that Tolzein played mostly against the 1's,  and Morris played mostly against the 2's,  3's,  and even the 4's...." 

Your tone or word choice would seem to indicate that anyone who thinks Tolzien shouldn't start is a fool or at least extremely naive.

"Dear God" appears to convey outrage on your part. Now, to be fair, perhaps all you were saying is that Scott is being treated like a no nothing scrub which you believed was a mischaracterization of the vast majority of Colt fans. And the forum should be a place where even contrary opinions are respected & listened to. 

Speaking for me & only me here, I just felt that your post came across as a are you folks crazy? We can't put Morris out there week 1? Why not? Okay sure, playing late in games against athletes who won't be playing in the league is hardly an indication of breaking down quality secondary coverage. True. However, you know when a QB has a quick release, pushes the ball decisively downfield, & makes guys blocking feel like if we give Morris time, good things will happen. It's all about drive, momentum, & confidence. Morris gives fans that. 

Remember, Trent Green was the starter in 1999 with the Rams before Kurt Warner took over. I know Morris isn't a future HOF QB. I just mean that kid has something special or more exciting than Scott right now. 

I don't wanna stifle your freedom of expression or creativity NFC. I just have a difference of opinion on which backup gives me the mojo to win early with Luck still out. Keep posting & I promise to keep reading my friend.   

OK....

To be clear,  I knew I was stirring it up.....    I don't write that type of stuff and thinking it won't be noticed.    

But I assure you I'm not guilt tripping anyone.     I find this site sort of Guilt Trip Proof.

Look.....    I'm a big boy,  I don't mind disagreeing with anyone.     I don't expect people to agree with me.

But sometimes I get astonished that there will be a whole thread of nonsense.    And everyone will miss the most obvious point.      Like Morris has done almost nothig against the 1's, while that's mostly what Tolzein has faced.      No one posted that.     And it's not the first thread where people haven't noticed it.

And so when that happens,  I get frustrated and exasperated.     I'm going to vent it somewhere....

I think this has been a very disappointing off-season on a number of levels with a number of very disappointing threads.      And my posts barely make a dent if they do at all?!?

So, I'm not going to Guilt Trip anyone here.....      just speaking my peace....   and I'm willing to rub some people the wrong way to express some frustration.     It's not that I''m trying to * people off,   but sometimes I couldn't care less if do.....

Hope that clarifies,  SW1....

I think the upside with Morris overshadows that of Tolzien. And I don't dislike Tolzien. If the strength of the team centered around a powerhouse defense, I might have a different opinion. As it is now, without Luck and given the current state of the team, I don't see that there is a lot to lose by putting Morris out there who gives you that spark...

OK....

To be clear,  I knew I was stirring it up.....    I don't write that type of stuff and thinking it won't be noticed.    

But I assure you I'm not guilt tripping anyone.     I find this site sort of Guilt Trip Proof.

Look.....    I'm a big boy,  I don't mind disagreeing with anyone.     I don't expect people to agree with me.

But sometimes I get astonished that there will be a whole thread of nonsense.    And everyone will miss the most obvious point.      Like Morris has done almost nothig against the 1's, while that's mostly what Tolzein has faced.      No one posted that.     And it's not the first thread where people haven't noticed it.

And so when that happens,  I get frustrated and exasperated.     I'm going to vent it somewhere....

I think this has been a very disappointing off-season on a number of levels with a number of very disappointing threads.      And my posts barely make a dent if they do at all?!?

So, I'm not going to Guilt Trip anyone here.....      just speaking my peace....   and I'm willing to rub some people the wrong way to express some frustration.     It's not that I''m trying to * ppeople off,   but sometimes I care less if do.....

OK....

So, I'm not going to Guilt Trip anyone here.....      just speaking my peace....   and I'm willing to rub some people the wrong way to express some frustration.     It's not that I''m trying to * ppeople off,   but sometimes I care less if do.....

Thanks for elaborating & going into greater detail. I appreciate that.

"I'm a big boy,  I don't mind disagreeing with anyone." No one is calling into question your intelligence or manhood NCF. I'm not anyway. That line made me laugh though. 

I think most of us regulars on here know that Tolzien got all the meaningful reps. Fans just look at Morris & go well look at that we're actually moving the ball on offense. I'll be darned. Superman in some earlier threads this season made the point that Morris has a problem with inconsistent accuracy. He does, but that might be a byproduct of limited reps alone. Give him more time with the 1's & see if his accuracy rises or declines. I haven't watched the Steelers game yet, but I will this week. 

I guess for my vantage point I don't understand why Pagano doesn't alter the QB rotation for a week & checkout how Morris responds to more pressure in his face. Analysts often say bad accuracy can't really be fixed. I don't know about that. Maybe it's just poor footwork or depending on your arm & shoulders too much as opposed to your hips, core, & lower body. I wanna see what Morris can really do when he is treated as the starter & how he reacts when the wheels fall off & the team is down. Does he panic & force things with the 1's or stay calm, exude moxy, is his first inclination to run or remain in the pocket? Does he know when to throw the ball away or does he like to force the ball into tight windows he shouldn't? When he does throw a pick, what's his body language? Does he let the ball carrier go or try to bring him down? Me? I'm a let the pick go guy & allow our D get the ball back for ya kind of guy. Don't get busted up. Just read the DBs in the secondary & focus on good exchanges from the center & back during handoffs. 

I get it depending on my mood sometimes, I can be defiant myself. Point taken. If it's one of my friends; usually, I account for that & cool my jets. 

I don't think anybody was ignoring what you wrote. They just either didn't subscribe to your perspective or think that Morris needs more action because under him our offense didn't feel like it stuttered or misfired. Also, INDY has a habit of playing backups too long before they try somebody else a la Curtis Painter in 2011 before we brought Kerry Collins in for a shot. Like we're too loyal based on the money they were making at that spot vs who gives us the best shot to claw, fight, & go down swinging.   

28 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Thanks for elaborating & going into greater detail. I appreciate that.

"I'm a big boy,  I don't mind disagreeing with anyone." No one is calling into question your intelligence or manhood NCF. I'm not anyway. That line made me laugh though. 

I think most of us regulars on here know that Tolzien got all the meaningful reps. Fans just look at Morris & go well look at that we're actually moving the ball on offense. I'll be darned. Superman in some earlier threads this season made the point that Morris has a problem with inconsistent accuracy. He does, but that might be a byproduct of limited reps alone. Give him more time with the 1's & see if his accuracy rises or declines. I haven't watched the Steelers game yet, but I will this week. 

I guess for my vantage point I don't understand why Pagano doesn't alter the QB rotation for a week & checkout how Morris responds to more pressure in his face. Analysts often say bad accuracy can't really be fixed. I don't know about that. Maybe it's just poor footwork or depending on your arm & shoulders too much as opposed to your hips, core, & lower body. I wanna see what Morris can really do when he is treated as the starter & how he reacts when the wheels fall off & the team is down. Does he panic & force things with the 1's or stay calm, exude moxy, is his first inclination to run or remain in the pocket? Does he know when to throw the ball away or does he like to force the ball into tight windows he shouldn't? When he does throw a pick, what's his body language? Does he let the ball carrier go or try to bring him down? Me? I'm a let the pick go guy & allow our D get the ball back for ya kind of guy. Don't get busted up. Just read the DBs in the secondary & focus on good exchanges from the center & back during handoffs. 

I get it depending on my mood sometimes, I can be defiant myself. Point taken. If it's one of my friends; usually, I account for that & cool my jets. 

I don't think anybody was ignoring what you wrote. They just either didn't subscribe to your perspective or think that Morris needs more action because under him our offense didn't feel like it stuttered or misfired. Also, INDY has a habit of playing backups too long before they try somebody else a la Curtis Painter in 2011 before we brought Kerry Collins in for a shot. Like we're too loyal based on the money they were making at that spot vs who gives us the best shot to claw, fight, & go down swinging.   

Pagano DID alter the QB rotation....

Morris was moved from 3rd string to 2nd string and he played n the 1st half of the game.....      that's progress.

I want to be clear about this.....    I like Morris....   and I'd like to see more of Morris and try to find out what we have.      I even wrote BEFORE the Pittsburgh game that I'd be fine with starting Morris and see where it goes....

But I'm of the belief that until you prove yourself against the 1's,  then you haven't proven all that much.     Could Morris be the better QB?     Sure.      But for me,  until he proves it against the 1's,  then things aren't as clear for me as they appear to be for so many others here....      

I'd like to see it,  but I'm not going to crush Pags,  Chud and Ballard if they don't give Morris more of a shot....

I need to say this: I know in the past I haven't been very supportive of UW-Madison QBs, one of my alma mater colleges. Namely, Jim Sorgi, Russel Wilson, & now Scott Tolzien. Hey man, I want my Colts to win games & if these guys aren't cutting it I'm gonna say it. The Blue Horseshoe takes top precedence over my colleges ties. 

Regarding RW, I knew that dude was sharp as a tack & a darn nice guy. I'm still miffed that Wilson beat Manning in 2013 at the SB & there is no way GB should have lost that Championship Game to Seattle after RW played like crap for 3 & a half quarters. Yeah, I know anything can happen in the playoffs. Grrr! 

Peytonator was right too. Melvin Gordon did light it up for the Chargers. I was wrong. I figured he was gonna be Ron Dayne #2. Tremendous college back lousy NFL one. Oops! My bad. :D

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Pagano DID alter the QB rotation....

Morris was moved from 3rd string to 2nd string and he played n the 1st half of the game.....      that's progress.

I want to be clear about this.....    I like Morris....   and I'd like to see more of Morris and try to find out what we have.      I even wrote BEFORE the Pittsburgh game that I'd be fine with starting Morris and see where it goes....

But I'm of the belief that until you prove yourself against the 1's,  then you haven't proven all that much.     Could Morris be the better QB?     Sure.      But for me,  until he proves it against the 1's,  then things aren't as clear for me as they appear to be for so many others here....      

I'd like to see it,  but I'm not going to crush Pags,  Chud and Ballard if they don't give Morris more of a shot....

I can't really talk about Morris yet until I see him vs Pittsburgh. I'll try to remember to return here after I watch it or I'll send you a PM on the forum. 

If I'm being honest, Chuck knows he's fighting to retain his job this season & because of that, logic would suggest go with the Tolzien because of his experience. I just need to see Morris's decision making first & ball placement. I can't say much more than that for now. 

I don't think you hate Morris or anybody NCF. Well, except for Keith Olbermann right? I kid; I kid. 

Sorry about my double post earlier. I don't know what happened there. It was an accident. I say that as Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" just played on the radio. Is that a sign that I'm not warm & fuzzy? Once a jack you know what, always a...right? Hey, let's not get truthful. Ha! Ha! 

Morris has outplayed Tolzien in every way possible for 2 years even the Steelers play by play guy knows that. His time has been limited vs the 1's because of Pagano unwillingness to move on from Tolzien. Morris can only play who he's on the field against. It's like Ballard said the players will know who has played better the fans sure do. 

What pisses me off the most about this complete QB saga is not the lack of info about Luck but WHY not give Morris reps with the 1st team to see what WE got!  Clearly he passes all the eye tests against 2nd/3rd team talent but we're ALL left to wonder can he do it against Talent?  WHY is NFL caliber Mgmt not seeing what we see?