Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What does RAS stand for?

Trace Pyott

I keep seeing people posting something with RAS on it and it has a numerical value to all their pro day and combine stats. My question is who had the highest RAS total at different positions? I'm kinda confused because for instance the hooker pick, it said he was no where near the top of the players picked at that position based on RAS. Is that based on all the guys in college that tested from his position or is that everyone in the NFL at that position? Also what running back had the best RAS this year??

6 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

Really? Wow. Is there somewhere to look all this up?

This is where I found the RAS for RB's, but you can find most of it by just searching "RAS (insert position) NFL Combine".

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/3/5/14819660/2017-combine-results-2017-rb-class-relative-athletic-scores-christian-mccaffrey-samaje-perine

9 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

It stands for Relative Athletic Score. Highest RAS score for a Running Back this year was Christopher Carson with a score of 9.57. The next highest RAS just happened to be Marlon Mack with a 7.33. 

Yep...I'm very excited. I can't wait to see what Mack can do in this offense. He is a super athletic player and can take it the distance any time he touches the ball. I just hope for two things from him.....patience (not try to do too much) and ball control. If he can learn that he might have a great career here with us!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2017 at 8:26 PM, Trace Pyott said:

I keep seeing people posting something with RAS on it and it has a numerical value to all their pro day and combine stats. My question is who had the highest RAS total at different positions? I'm kinda confused because for instance the hooker pick, it said he was no where near the top of the players picked at that position based on RAS. Is that based on all the guys in college that tested from his position or is that everyone in the NFL at that position? Also what running back had the best RAS this year??

It's basically a metric that quantifies a player's combine/pro day metrics into a cumulative score and it's weighted against players at the same position.  So for instance, a score of 8.0 for a running back is not the same as a score of 8.0 for a defensive tackle.  In essence, it puts players athleticism/power on a bell curve for players of the same position.

@WarGhost21 posted the link you can take to find out everything you need to know.  It's a helpful resource, but at the end of the day, it wont' really tell you anything you can't already see with your own eyes.  But it is helpful in the sense that his table is a one stop shop so you don't have to pull up individual player profiles and compare them on separate screens and stuff.

It stands for Relative Athletic Score. You can read about it here:

https://relativeathleticscores.com/

Relative Athletic Scores take player measurements and put them on an easy to understand 0 to 10 scale compared to their position group. A final score is then produced which is also on a 0 to 10 score to show overall athleticism for a draft prospect. This data can be used to chart trends over time, showing that overall athleticism is likely a contributing factor to player success in the NFL.

5 is about average. Hooker didn't have RAS score because he didn't test at the combine and at his pro-day because of his injury. Purely watching him from tape and guessing his athletic measurements, I would guess he would have scored as an elite athletic prospect if he had tested.