Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My offseason mock

Resign

Jack Doyle, four years, $25m - I like Doyle but any more than this and he can walk.

Robert Turbin, two years, $4m

Zach Kerr, one year, $1.5m

Eric Swoope, two years $2m

Darius Butler, three years $11m - He can still be a good contributor both at safety and in the slot.

I'd also keep Harrison and Thornton on 1 year minimum deals. Neither are great but they already have familiarity with the other members of the line and can give adequate depth in the interior. They're very much on the bubble though if an unexpected free agent of UDFA show up well.

Donte Moncrief,  five years, $40

Jack Mewhort, - Undecided on his extension but don't see a reason to give him a long term, expensive contract when he's showing some signs of wear and tear. I'd need more information on his

Major Free agent additions:

Nick Perry - 5 years - $45m - In the absence of Ingram he becomes the only real FA option to improve our woeful pass rush.

Robert Woods - 4 years - $32m - in an offseason that should be dominated by defense he's my one real concession to the offense. I'm not sold on Dorsett by any means and Woods looks to me like the absolute perfect compliment to Moncrief and Hilton. He should improve and what he's done in Buffalo and the prospect of catching passes from a QB like Luck for 4 years before hitting free agency again aged 28/29 should be a good deal for him. He actually reminds me of Reggie Wayne.

Nick Fairley - 1 year $7m - He seems to be slowly rebuilding his career and he'd hopefully continue that on here and give us more disruption from our D-Line

Draft:

Round 1 - Reuben Foster - I didn't think he would get past the Bengals but after the incident the other day they're going to have serious doubts about adding him to a Linebacker corp that already includes Vontaze Burfict, It doesn't bother me one bit though and I want some swagger and physicality in the middle of our D.

Trade picks 46(2), 80(3) and 200(6) to Dallas for pick 28. - Hassan Riddick - His flexibility and athleticism alongside the tone setting physicality of Foster changes our defense overnight. Although he's mainly going to play inside he also gives us the option of adding to the pass rush from multiple positions.  Giving up a 2nd and 3rd is a big deal but it's worth it to make this impact.

If we can't make this trade happen or Riddick is gone I'd go with Chidobe Awuzie in the 2nd and Tanoh Kpassagnon in the 3rd. i wouldn't be upset at all if it played out this way but I would prefer to get younger, better and more physical in the middle of that defense. 

Round 4 - Damontae Kazee - A cornerback with slightly less than ideal spead who makes up for it with above average ball skills, good instincts and very solid tackling.

Round 4 - James Conner Physical running back who runs round linebackers and over defensive backs. 1,092 yards,5.1 yards per carry carries, 16 touchdowns and apparently "not at his best". Maybe he won't contribute massively in the first year while Gore and Turbin are still the main backs but can spell for either of them and a year down the line can give our running game explosion and physicality

Round 5 - Kai Nacua - Possibly undersized and lacking a little athleticism but like Kazee he's instinctive and has excellent ball skills. Think he could be a good compliment to Green and Geathers,

Overall I'm putting a lot of trust in the young guys on the offensive line to continue to develop (which i think they can) and focusing on getting young playmakers in the linebacker room and instinctive guys who can provide turnovers at the back end. I doubt it turns us into Superbowl winners in a single off season but I like the young base it gives us on both sides of the ball to push us forward and should fix a few of our immediate needs while covering up some of our existing deficiencies.

Not a huge fan. For free agency I don't think Doyle and Moncrief are worth that much money. And I'm not huge into the other free agents you signed. Perry is an average pass rusher, nothing special.

For the draft, I like both Foster and Reddick, but they both would play ILB in this system and a pure pass rushing OLB is much needed. I'd rather trade down acquiring an extra 2nd and take Reddick in the 1st, then trade back up in the 2nd to get Takk McKinley, and with the other 2nd round pick get the best CB available. Possibly Gareon Conley.

Ooooooo baby wouldn't this be something!!! Won't happen but ima leave you alone and let you enjoy yourself. Imagine that tho Ruben and Reddick our D elevates to average. Then add Nick and Nick, MMMM that's nice. Instead of Robert tho I'd give that money to Zach Brown, Play Reddick as the Weak side OLB on the edge opposite Perry. Dayyyyyyyum or D would be top 10.

4 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Not a huge fan. For free agency I don't think Doyle and Moncrief are worth that much money. And I'm not huge into the other free agents you signed. Perry is an average pass rusher, nothing special.

For the draft, I like both Foster and Reddick, but they both would play ILB in this system and a pure pass rushing OLB is much needed. I'd rather trade down acquiring an extra 2nd and take Reddick in the 1st, then trade back up in the 2nd to get Takk McKinley, and with the other 2nd round pick get the best CB available. Possibly Gareon Conley.

Doyle is at least worth that amount we might have to pay him more and why wouldn't we he's our best TE and a potential top 10 in the league. Moncrief as well. How is Nick Perry average? Your opinion I guess but check his #s last year, he's legit as it gets. Reddick can play all over our 3-4 and he'd be best at OLB. 

I like the Robert Woods signing.  I have always liked him and he would be a great addition to our receiving corp. His receivers coach is now with us and I would bet he is giving him high praises.  I would also think about Torrey Smith now that he has been released. I wouldn't bother with Kerr, Harrison and Thornton.  I also wouldn't extend Moncrief or Mewhort.  I like Perry and I would also sign a Guard.  Foster would be a great pick with our 1st.

In my opinion you are allocating too much money to the WR group. From various interviews and articles written about and with GMs, I think GMs spend their cap categorically (essentially allocating a certain percentage/amount to a position group and trying to stay within that, obviously a max level QB will get his and a max-level player will get his but overall trying to stay within reasonable limits and not overspending on one position). 

TY Hilton is geting upwards of 10 million a year (which is fine, he totally deserves it and in fact its kind of a steal now with the cap increasing).

However, in this plan you are allocating 8 million a year to Robert Woods and another 8 million a year to Donte Moncrief. That is WAY too much money going to a WR group. Our WR3 doesn't need to be paid that much and the argument can be made that Donte Moncreif doesn't get that much money and that many years due to his injury history. I love the guy but I say a 6-7 million a year for 3-4 years is more reasonable. 

2 hours ago, masnerj said:

In my opinion you are allocating too much money to the WR group. From various interviews and articles written about and with GMs, I think GMs spend their cap categorically (essentially allocating a certain percentage/amount to a position group and trying to stay within that, obviously a max level QB will get his and a max-level player will get his but overall trying to stay within reasonable limits and not overspending on one position). 

TY Hilton is geting upwards of 10 million a year (which is fine, he totally deserves it and in fact its kind of a steal now with the cap increasing).

However, in this plan you are allocating 8 million a year to Robert Woods and another 8 million a year to Donte Moncrief. That is WAY too much money going to a WR group. Our WR3 doesn't need to be paid that much and the argument can be made that Donte Moncreif doesn't get that much money and that many years due to his injury history. I love the guy but I say a 6-7 million a year for 3-4 years is more reasonable. 

I think you're right about allocating too much money to that group. In my mind I justified it by thinking that I'm just using the money we should have had to spend on Dorset if he'd turned out to be as good as hoped.

As for Moncrief individually, I thought it was a decent guess at his potential earnings and it will definitely be interesting to see what he gets.

6 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Doyle is at least worth that amount we might have to pay him more and why wouldn't we he's our best TE and a potential top 10 in the league. Moncrief as well. How is Nick Perry average? Your opinion I guess but check his #s last year, he's legit as it gets. Reddick can play all over our 3-4 and he'd be best at OLB. 

Doyle yes, Moncrief......  don;t even think about extending atm.  Perry?  Hell, look at his career, he is at, or slightly above average, in basically everything.  He's not a top tier edge rusher, never has been..... wth are you talking about?

17 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Doyle yes, Moncrief......  don;t even think about extending atm.  Perry?  Hell, look at his career, he is at, or slightly above average, in basically everything.  He's not a top tier edge rusher, never has been..... wth are you talking about?

Moncrief is in a prove it year if he can stay healthy and produce at a high level you Dam right we keeping him. Did I not say last year? If you could evaluate talent you'd understand he has more potential then his career numbers say. Had 11 sacks last year and looked dominant LAST YEAR but didnt his first few. Same was said about Melvin Ingram, they're late bloomers. As for bringing him to the Colts it'd have to be at the right price, Jabaal Sheard is a cheaper alternative and he's my guy. What "elite" edge rusher do you have us signing? Since Nick Perry insnt good enough for you?

I like Perry, don't get me wrong, I just think he is going to get crazy money thrown at him, hopefully not by Indy......  I took you wrong on Moncrief, I think we mostly agree there, and he shouldn't cost too much.  if Donte can stay healthy ,his talent and size are great.  I like Sheard as a mid-level alternative to Perry as well.  Not sure we will get as much edge talent as we would like as fans from FA this year....