Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ravens Hire Jim Caldwell

KyFan18

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realize that being a QB coach was supposed to be his "specialty" and It was his Call as the Head coach what to do.

This has been discussed. it's quite simple. The first couple of games Painter looked pretty good, so you give him the chance. Then he didn't show any of the expected improvement, but at the same time the oline became a shambles; to the point where they were signing a guy on Tuesday and he was starting on Sunday. So as a coach you look at that and say, "well is it Painter or the line?" so after a few weeks the line gets back to normalacy and Painter still does not improve for a couple of weeks, so they make the switch.
If he was such a great QB coach why would he not be able to tell that Orlovsky was better.
Painter was not very good. I didn't see a whole let of evidence that Orlovsky was better.
I mean fans sitting at home could see who was better,
You mean the same fans that wanted Painter to start over Collins?
Just because he was the HC at the time doesn't mean he doesn't deserve any blame that is just silly. he deserves blame cause that was his "specialty", I mean he worked his way up from that job and returned to it.
Umm because he wasn't the QB coach. And the reason for the delay has been explained.
Why does being a HC make him blameless for the whole Painter fiasco? It was by far the most important part of his job after Peyton went down. And your acting like he never should have cared about the QB situation.
That's not what I'm doing, but if it makes you feel better to say so, fine by me. It was Caldwell's job to work with what he had. He did that.
And really? Your comparing Caldwell to BB? Did you pull any muscles with that stretch?

Comparing the situation. There is a big difference, not that I expect you to see the difference.

That can go both ways, Joe Lefeged was the better Saftey, much faster, good tackler, better in coverage... that is not being a good evaluator. Caldwell kept playing those two guys based on situations when really more than half the time he wouldnt know what the offense would run so he would have the wrong personnel on the field... he did not have the better guy on the field and that to me is wrong evaluation.

Putting the wrong Personnel on the field is bad coaching not bad talent evaluating, no wonder we disagree. They were not bad players and deserve to be in the NFL. Caldwell put them in bad situations cause he is a bad coach.

This has been discussed. it's quite simple. The first couple of games Painter looked pretty good, so you give him the chance. Then he didn't show any of the expected improvement, but at the same time the oline became a shambles; to the point where they were signing a guy on Tuesday and he was starting on Sunday. So as a coach you look at that and say, "well is it Painter or the line?" so after a few weeks the line gets back to normalacy and Painter still does not improve for a couple of weeks, so they make the switch.

Painter was not very good. I didn't see a whole let of evidence that Orlovsky was better.

Really 2 wins in the NFL don't count as evidence of being better? If Painter played all 16 games we would be 0-16. If Orlovsky played all 16 we all know we would have more then 2 wins and to insist their was no visible difference between Orlovsky and Painter is just ignorant. Painter constantly made mistakes and costed us multiple games. Orlovsky controlled the ball and almost beat the Patriots. No evidence Orlovsky was better? Really?

I understand he was not the QB coach I don't know why you keep repeating that, But as a Head coach it is your call to make. For all we know the QB coach told Caldwell Dan was better and Caldwell insisted he go with Curtis. Its all just speculation. But as a current head coach and former QB coach it was his job to make the final call and he went with Curtis over and over..... Look all I am saying as a Head coach it was his call to make no one elses. So what does it matter if he wasn't the QB coach at the time? He should've been spending ALOT of time evaluating QB talent when Peyton went down and if he did just leave it all to some QB coach then he deserves blame for that too. Why do you believe he does not deserve any blame? Because repeating over and over that he wasn't the QB coach is a terrible reason.

Saying it was Caldwell's job to work with what he had? really? Cause he HAD a better QB on the bench and yet even after the Saints game he kept starting Painter. Also your argument is that they didn't know if it was Painter or the Oline? REALLY? Cause i'm pretty sure losing 62-3 it was not the lines fault..... Lol 62-3 and you blame the offensive line? Wow.... Maybe the Offensive line didn't help Painter much but they did not lose the game for the colts. I don't know if a team will ever lose like that again even if their entire offensive line was Tony Ugoh and company.

While I am surprised that they hired him, I said he would never again be a HC.

I am a Ravens fan from Baltimore. I just want to say that I wish Pagano the best of luck while working for the Colts, except of course when they play against the Ravens. You guys probably did get the better part of that deal. I hope that Caldwell can do half as good for Baltimore as Pagano did for the Ravens.

I do sincerely wish the Colts do well under Pagano. He is a good man.

I just wish you guys would have taken Cam Cameron with him as a package deal. By the way, you think we could trade even up for our field goal kicker? lol

Putting the wrong Personnel on the field is bad coaching not bad talent evaluating, no wonder we disagree. They were not bad players and deserve to be in the NFL. Caldwell put them in bad situations cause he is a bad coach.

David Caldwell missed his assingments so many times during the season on passing plays its not even funny... especially when the colts played the pats.. like i said that can go both ways.. caldwell did not field the better player which was Joe Lefeged and thats not being much of a good evaluator.

David Caldwell missed his assingments so many times during the season on passing plays its not even funny... especially when the colts played the pats.. like i said that can go both ways.. caldwell did not field the better player which was Joe Lefeged and thats not being much of a good evaluator.

Not fielding the correct players on gameday is a coaching error end of story. He signed the best player and put him on his team. he Just failed to put the good player in good situations. That is not an evaluation problem it is a coaching problem. If he sucked at Evaluating he never would've signed Lefeged. He just failed to use him properly cause he is a bad coach. Deciding what players to play on gameday is a coaching error no matter how hard you are trying to spin it the other way.

The titans also scooped Gilbert Gardner as soon as he was released that doesn't mean he's good

Are we watching Gilbert Gardner and the Titans going for the superbowl this Sunday? Big difference between the Titans evaluation process and that of the future SB champs.

Are we watching Gilbert Gardner and the Titans going for the superbowl this Sunday? Big difference between the Titans evaluation process and that of the future SB champs.

lol really? they also have tony ugoh on their roster... what does that say about their evaluation process... that was never the point, the point was just because a team picked him up doesnt mean he would be a star or starter on the team.

Not fielding the correct players on gameday is a coaching error end of story. He signed the best player and put him on his team. he Just failed to put the good player in good situations. That is not an evaluation problem it is a coaching problem. If he sucked at Evaluating he never would've signed Lefeged. He just failed to use him properly cause he is a bad coach. Deciding what players to play on gameday is a coaching error no matter how hard you are trying to spin it the other way.

Funny i thought you guys thought polian was the one who had his hands on everyones head, caldwell did not sign Lefeged CP did, like i said earlier you can paint that occurance both ways...

Funny i thought you guys thought polian was the one who had his hands on everyones head, caldwell did not sign Lefeged CP did, like i said earlier you can paint that occurance both ways...

First of all Tony Ugoh is not a starting member of the Giants offensive line. Most Colts fans would actually agree that Tony Ugoh is a good backup in the NFL. The problem is the Colts drafted him in the first round as a starter and had to pay him as such. The Giants got a cheap expierenced backup tackle. Sounds like great evaluating to me.

Also It wasn't you who said that it could go both ways between the Polians and JC it was me when I said

"How can you state as a fact that Jim cut Tryon, How can you be so sure that Polians hands were not in the mix? I dont get how you can put all that on Jim as a fact."

But thanks for trying to take credit for things I said. I will take that as a compliment.

First of all Tony Ugoh is not a starting member of the Giants offensive line. Most Colts fans would actually agree that Tony Ugoh is a good backup in the NFL. The problem is the Colts drafted him in the first round as a starter and had to pay him as such. The Giants got a cheap expierenced backup tackle. Sounds like great evaluating to me.

Also It wasn't you who said that it could go both ways between the Polians and JC it was me when I said

"How can you state as a fact that Jim cut Tryon, How can you be so sure that Polians hands were not in the mix? I dont get how you can put all that on Jim as a fact."

But thanks for trying to take credit for things I said. I will take that as a compliment.

I dont think your actually understanding what im saying... i said it could go both ways when your trying to call caldwell a bad coach instead of a bad evaluator in that occurance with david caldwell and joe lefeged... i was not trying to take credit for what you said, we arent getting paid for this so it would be pointless.

I think your also missing the point about tony ugoh, you mentioned the giants evaluation process like it was that great or something for tryon to be picked up by them... so i mentioned Ugoh... at the time the giants picked up ugoh he had no upside, he may have found his love for the game but we do not know since he isnt starting...

to my recollection they also picked up jim sorgi... A+ for that pick up