Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

who is next, dead wood

OLD FAN MAN

13 hours ago, csmopar said:

Well I can think of really only 2 others that truly have under performed from their expectations constantly, game in and game out.

Castonzo and Dewayne Allen. Both of these are on fresh or relatively fresh so I doubt they get cut. 

D'Quell Jackson  had  precisely zero solo tackles in the Colts first loss. Two assists. And he played every defensive snap. What a mistake to keep him and get rid of Jerrell Freeman. I get tired watching him trying to catch up to tight ends running away from him. The man is just too slow.

Just now, GoBlue12 said:

D'Quell Jackson  had  precisely zero solo tackles in the Colts first loss. Two assists. And he played every defensive snap. What a mistake to keep him and get rid of Jerrell Freeman. I get tired watching him trying to catch up to tight ends running away from him. The man is just too slow.

I said that the moment it happened...Freeman's going to eat us alive Sunday and Chicago is thrilled.  

1 minute ago, GoBlue12 said:

if the lbs don't start getting some tackles for losses more will go

11 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Well, it would still be a waste of 6 million of Irsay's money if Allen were cut in 2017.

@Superman you'll be the man in the know here, but would it really be $6 Million total dead money if we were to cut him in 2017?

I find the roster bonus of $2.5 million interesting, I know you're not expecting to cut a guy the 2nd year into his 2nd contract but it seemed to claw back some of the deal towards the Colts side of the bargaining table.

For those of you saying that AC should be a potential cut....

You do realize that the Colts would have to find someone to play left tackle, right?

You can't just cut someone because of poor play.  You cut them ONLY if you have someone else capable of playing their position equally or better?

Who will play LT?

15 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

According to sportrac...

Cutting Castanzo would result in:

18.2 million dead cap 2016

8.4 million dead cap 2017

5.6 million dead cap 2018

2.8 million dead cap 2019

Cutting Allen would result in:

11.5 million dead cap 2016

3 million dead cap 2017

2 million dead cap 2018

1 million dead cap 2019

As I said, the Colts are strapped with those contracts for the foreseeable future.

Also,  the Colts paid Gosder Cherilus (who was cut in July of 2015) 2.9 million in 2015 and are currently paying him 5.8 million for 2016 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/gosder-cherilus-3272/

Apparently Grigson didn't structure that contract very well? 

Grigson structured contracts based upon which players he thought would be rostered long term.  Out of all of the players he is criticized for "overpaying",  the only two where he wrongly structured the deal was Cherilous and Landry.  All others that have been cut he knew were short term stop gap players when they were signed.

I would also add Allen.  It was a bad deal the day it was signed, and I said so last spring.

AC currently has some issues to work out, but he has been a steady quality player for 4 years at least.

The two I consistently notice on offense are Allen and Ferguson. Ferguson gets snatched to the ground by the first arm tackle that touches him (nothing there) and Allen just can't catch the thing. ILB is starting to look like a problem on D but only on pass coverage.

5 hours ago, bleevit said:

The two I consistently notice on offense are Allen and Ferguson. Ferguson gets snatched to the ground by the first arm tackle that touches him (nothing there) and Allen just can't catch the thing. ILB is starting to look like a problem on D but only on pass coverage.

agree

9 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

@Superman you'll be the man in the know here, but would it really be $6 Million total dead money if we were to cut him in 2017?

I find the roster bonus of $2.5 million interesting, I know you're not expecting to cut a guy the 2nd year into his 2nd contract but it seemed to claw back some of the deal towards the Colts side of the bargaining table.

Not sure I understand the whole question, but no, there's only $3m dead money if Allen is cut prior to the 5th day of the 2017 league year. Per Spotrac, his 2017 roster bonus and base salary are not guaranteed until then. So there would just be an acceleration of the remainder of the $4m signing bonus, which is $3m. 

That sounds good, but the problem would be that we paid him $12m for one season. Just because you can easily get out of a deal doesn't make it a good deal. His contract is still frontloaded, which is contrary to how Grigson and Bluem usually do contracts, and once that money is paid, it's gone. The contract gains more balance moving forward.

Like you said, you're not expecting to cut a young player one year into a four year deal, but what if that player comes out and plays like garbage? I think people are going to the extreme on Allen right now, but he's definitely not playing well so far...