Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colt's New Strategy With Luck

King Colt

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 8:49 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Andy Dalton was #35 on the NFL Channels top 100. Andrew #92. hahalmao Dalton couldn't carry Andrew's jockstrap. What a dumb list. I cant wait for this season to start!

That list was based on what the players did LAST YEAR.  Based on LAST YEAR, what exactly is wrong with Dalton being ranked that much higher than Luck?  If anything was dumb about that list, it was having Luck on it at all.  Not only did he barely play half the season, but the half he did play he was pretty bad aside from the Denver game.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 4:48 PM, Superman said:

Getting rid of the ball quickly and using designed rollouts aren't mutually exclusive. Everyone should know that I'm the biggest advocate for Luck getting rid of the ball quickly, making hot throws, etc. But there's nothing wrong with putting him on the move as part of a balanced passing attack.

I don't think he has issues with accuracy while on the move. There's plenty of this on his highlight reel: 

And Luck is not like Peyton, Eli, Brady, Brees, Rivers, etc. He has physical gifts that none of them have, and one of those is his feet. 

That's fine. A good play. I know he can do that. He is very athletic and has a strong arm. I'm more concerned with his deeper throws (this is like a 8 yd in). All I was concerned with was that when his mechanics break down he often overthrew his receivers..leading to tipped passes and sometimes interceptions. This mostly happened when he didn't set his feet....and primarily on throws down the field (over 15yds). But as you said...a few designed roll outs shouldn't hurt much. I know he is a big strong guy and I know he could get hurt anytime but with how important he is to the team I do get nervous with him outside the pocket....just seems there would be greater risk with him outside the qb protected area where the rules/officials and the design of the protection are set up. All your points are very valid...still it makes me nervous. I've guess after watching so many years of Peyton and Tom with that internal clock and getting rid of the ball I get nervous when a qb is on the move because many times that clock gets skewed when they are on the move (a false sense of safety) and often they aren't in a good position to protect themselves. Just a personal thing with me....I just worry lol.

Oh and that seems like it took a long time for Luck to look off his first read to get the ball to his second...he was open much much sooner once the he occupied the corner in the slot...he probably didn't need to scramble at all if he gets rid of the ball sooner....but oh well...in the end he is definatley athletic enough to move him around.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

That's fine. A good play. I know he can do that. He is very athletic and has a strong arm. I'm more concerned with his deeper throws (this is like a 8 yd in). All I was concerned with was that when his mechanics break down he often overthrew his receivers..leading to tipped passes and sometimes interceptions. This mostly happened when he didn't set his feet....and primarily on throws down the field (over 15yds). But as you said...a few designed roll outs shouldn't hurt much. I know he is a big strong guy and I know he could get hurt anytime but with how important he is to the team I do get nervous with him outside the pocket....just seems there would be greater risk with him outside the qb protected area where the rules/officials and the design of the protection are set up. All your points are very valid...still it makes me nervous. I've guess after watching so many years of Peyton and Tom with that internal clock and getting rid of the ball I get nervous when a qb is on the move because many times that clock gets skewed when they are on the move (a false sense of safety) and often they aren't in a good position to protect themselves. Just a personal thing with me....I just worry lol.

Oh and that seems like it took a long time for Luck to look off his first read to get the ball to his second...he was open much much sooner once the he occupied the corner in the slot...he probably didn't need to scramble at all if he gets rid of the ball sooner....but oh well...in the end he is definatley athletic enough to move him around.

We're talking about stuff like Y Banana, simple rollouts with easy progressions. The QB doesn't even necessarily have to throw on the move.

As you can tell, I think it will be fine. I don't think they're going to run a bootleg offense, but more play action, some designed rollouts and so on will add a dimension to the passing game, should simplify things for the QB, and will even make protections easier. I think it's a good thing.