Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defensive expectation for Indy in 2016

Lawrence Owen

On 5/28/2016 at 10:15 AM, BOTT said:

I think your first paragraph will be the biggest factor.

I wish pagano had hired a proven DC.  It's a big step going from LB coach to DC and none of us know how this new guy will perform.

Pagano knows the guy and probably understands his philosophy. As Pagano has been a defensive coach over much of his career, I want to trust this selection and give him a chance to show what he can do. All the great defensive coordinators had to get a chance from someone.

As an optimistic Colts fan, I expect the defense to be good enough to win the SB.  I don't expect defensive dominance, but I expect a good D.

Might not be the most talented, but if everyone stays healthy and the coaches and players do their jobs, I expect the D to carry their weight.

On 5/27/2016 at 10:15 PM, Lawrence Owen said:

I can see Indy being in the top 1/2 of defensive stats overall.  I think we'll probably be in the top5 for TFL's, but possibly also top 5 for allowing big plays (20+ yards).

Just looking at our players and coaching staff kind of shows me a few things:

1: Our D-line will get more penetration than our LB'ers.  Which means TFL's 'should' be abundant.  And that is alright if the LB'ers hold to their assignments and not over-persue.  IF they do, then look for a lot of long runs by medeocre RB's as well.

2: Our D Co-ordinater has already said he's plans to be agressive, attacking.  Again this play's into my #1.  

3: I think the pass defense will be more effected on what the front 7 does this year than in years past.  Before a lot of our sacks were coverage sacks.  This year i beleive it is more likely to be our pass defense will be more effected by the pass rush.  

So basicly, our D-line's skill set of being able to get get behind the line of scrimmage, plus the agressive play calling will put our team in a 'feast or famine' scenario. Some of which we will win,..some we will inevitably loose.   Question is this: Which one will happen more often, Feasting on them?...or them feasting on us?  I think our defence will suprise this year.

***P.S.  This entire spat is predicated on Jones, Anderson, Langford, Parry, and Ridgeway being healthy and playing the majority of the season.

On 5/28/2016 at 5:19 AM, LockeDown said:

It depends on our offense.  If it takes off and starts to give us leads early, I think this defense will play inspired and will be in the top half.

I agree very much with LockeDown. 

I always have said if Freeney and/or Mathis ever make the HOF, the first person they should thank is Peyton Manning.  When our offense was firing back in those days, the job of the D is that much easier, they can be in attack mode and 'pin their ears back' and get after the QB. 

I think the same applies to this D.... if our offense is putting points on the board early and often (which is certainly has the potential to do), it makes the other offense more one-dimensional and should allow for our D to take advantage of that, and hopefully feed off the offensive momentum.

The same can go the other way, though.  If our offense is struggling a little bit and our D is struggling, I think we'll see the offense's problems exacerbated.  A big problem for a long time with Manning was throwing INTs on forced balls, and I have always been convinced he did that in games against teams with good offenses, knowing if he didn't make a big play to extend a drive, the other offense would dominate our defense.  I think Luck has been similar in times when he tries to do too much, maybe because he is young and inexperienced, or maybe it's just who he is, but I think a lot of it stems from fear of allowing our D on the field.

In short, I think the biggest thing to help our D this year will be to have an offense that can put points on the board early and often, therefore allowing our D to attack while forcing the other O to be pretty one-dimensional. 

After giving this some thought, I think the D would be having a much better year if they get to the middle of the pack. I believe this because of the strides made by the other teams in the division. The front 7 depth is improved, given the return of key players; and if the O doesn't put them in big trouble over and over as they did last year, the top 3rd of the league is a possibility. That being said, its awfully early. I think I'll know more after the pads come on.

I would be pleased if this was a middle of the pack defense.   15-20th would be great.   i expect to see them closer to the 21-25th range.   I'm not sold on a pass rush at all.   I question our CB's and we are not big enough on the line to stop the run in my opinion.  

That said, if the offense produces lots of points then the run "D" won't be as much of a liability in the regular season.  

On May 28, 2016 at 7:19 AM, LockeDown said:

It depends on our offense.  If it takes off and starts to give us leads early, I think this defense will play inspired and will be in the top half.

If our defense needs the offense to play well to inspire them then the coaches need fired 

31 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

If our defense needs the offense to play well to inspire them then the coaches need fired 

Isn't that just what happened? I think when the offense does sputter and have too many 3 and outs it puts too much pressure on the defense. Having a balanced team helps each other. Ball control keeps your defense rested throughout the game. I think that is what LockeDown was getting at. Just saying.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Isn't that just what happened? I think when the offense does sputter and have too many 3 and outs it puts too much pressure on the defense. Having a balanced team helps each other. Ball control keeps your defense rested throughout the game. I think that is what LockeDown was getting at. Just saying.

Yep.  I didn't say we had a great defense yet.  I said our defense can play inspired if the offense plays great.  I also want a dominant defense but we aren't there yet.

My take on this shape of the team was a simple 2 year plan. This season it is all about fixing this oline first and foremost. If that leads to great thing with our offense this season that's a positive but protecting Luck is priority #1. I believe if that line is repaired with the draft and other players stepping up, the new OC game planning much better than Pep did, this team can score 30+ every game. Now, I think the team will hope for improvement from the D as well but the 2 year plan will come from the draft and high D picks next year and competing for a deep playoff run, if not sights on a SB run. The defense will be expected to do just enough with what we have this season, mid pack perhaps, then to really step up next year with both sides coming together in harmony next year after the focus on defense with the draft next season. My vision for it anyway and this isn't saying the team is writing off this season as a competitor but I think they had to reset and really take an honest look at what we've had and how we retooled.