Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Theme of the 2017 draft - Rush The Passer

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I've read multiple people saying next year's draft is loaded with pass rushers (and running backs).

From the small sample I've watched I think there are about 4-5 pass-rushers that are better than the best ones this year(as rushers specifically). And quite honestly probably 4-5 RBs that are at least at the level of Elliot. I'd love it if we manage to get a rusher and RB from the first two rounds of next year's draft.

Tim Williams is insane and he's not even starting for Alabama. I read somewhere he's generated pressure on 30% of passing downs he's played. And from what I am seeing right now people project him to be at the back end of the first round. If we get Tim Williams and one of the top 5 RBs, I'd be stoked...

BTW even the DB class seem pretty good - take a look at Desmond King(Iowa), Jamal Adams(LSU), Adoree Jackson(USC), Jabrill Peppers (Michigan), Jalen Tabor(Florida), Tre'Davious White(LSU), Cameron Sutton(Tennessee), Quin Blanding(Virginia), Jourdan Lewis(Michigan)...

My initial reaction is - I think I'm falling in love with way too many players way too early... This draft class might be pretty good at almost all our positions of need.

10 hours ago, stitches said:

My initial reaction is - I think I'm falling in love with way too many players way too early... This draft class might be pretty good at almost all our positions of need.

This would be the kind of draft I would trade down in gaining several picks. If we pick late in round 1, we should get more partners trying to move into round 1 for the fifth year option, IMO. Picking in the middle normally invites only teams at the end of round 1 trying to move up for a reasonable cost. Picking late in round 1 will normaly intrigue teams picking early in round 2, IMO.

On 5/2/2016 at 7:36 AM, Wesk7 said:

Hopefully one of the tackles we drafted can play guard. If so and they work out we are set at o line for some time. We definitely will need at least 2 olbs next season as three of ours, the top 3 as of now, are 30 or older we will also need a quality rb. We do not know what we have in Varga and Ferguson is even more of an unknown. Gore will be 33 soon. If he even plays next season I can't see much. And corner back is going to need to be addressed again probably. 

Honestly, as much as I like how Good played in his 4 games last year, I think he'd be 2 x's as good at RG.  He's a huge strong guy, who is quick footed and can man handle large DT's backwards into the 2nd level.

And kind of on topic with pass rush, I believe we'll be just fine this year.  Mathis and Langford both had 7 sacks, one only played 1/2 his normal snaps due to injury recovery, and the other is a d-lineman.  We didn't have Art at all,...Anderson may not have had a ton of sacks but alot of pressures in his games before injury, and we have the rookie Ridgeway, who is also known for penetration and getting to the QB.  

I think we'll have a better pass rush this year than last...if 1/2 our starters don't go on IR again >.<

On May 4, 2016 at 5:08 PM, COLTS449 said:

We'll have some cap room next year from what I understand. So IMO our best bet is to fill some holes in free agency with some major signings, and get into the top of the 1st round by any means necessary to draft Myles Garrett. I mean we could stay where we are. Which will be in the 20s most likely, and draft a good pass rusher. Or we could go all in and come out with a superstar the likes of Von Miller and Khalil Mack.

To get in the top 5 which is where Gsrrett is going we would have to pull a Ditka and give up our entire draft and probably our 2018 1st too. That's not happening. 

On May 2, 2016 at 9:05 AM, IndyScribe said:

I think next year we go heavy on pass rusher. I'm wondering though, will we be able to get a good RB and pass rusher with our first two picks. Guys like Chubb, McCaffrey, and other top RBs will be off the board by our second pick.

The RB class is loaded. The only 2 that' go in the 1st for sure are Cook and Fourrente IMO baring injury.

I think Royce Freeman will be the best pro RB to come out of tbe PAC 12 next year. We should grab him in the 2nd. He's not your typical Oregon RB. His fast yes but his big and powerful too. 

The edge class is loaded. I think Gsrrett goes top 5 if Lawson stays healthy all year he's top 10 and Williams will be in the top 15. I think we have a shot at the others.

I think we could come out of the first 2 days with Barnett/Harris 1st 

Freeman 2nd  Fields/Charles/Caraway 3rd If we wanted to double up. 

Fields might not slip thaf far he's balled since being dismissed from TCU. Charles could go in the 1st on talent. He probably will if he has the kind of seasin he should but he's yet to do that. 

I'd be stoked with Barnett/Freeman 1-2. We will get at least 1 pass rusher and a franchise RB 

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

To get in the top 5 which is where Gsrrett is going we would have to pull a Ditka and give up our entire draft and probably our 2018 1st too. That's not happening. 

It depends on how many holes we have. If a bunch of our young guys, and this years drat class step up and we only have a couple holes to fill I think it'd be worth it to get a Von Miller, Khalil Mack type freak pass rusher. We could probably get into the top 5 with our 1st and 2nd, and our 2018 1st. Shouldn't be more than our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and our 2018 1st anyways. It all depends on where we're at in the draft. Which hopefully its 32, but it'll probably be in the 22-28 range.

Okay, my 1st thought when I read the title of this thread is didn't the April 2016 draft just conclude? It's a bit premature to start thinking about our next draft class before fans have had at least 12 weeks in the regular season to analyze our current crop of rookies. 

My 2nd thought is this: Some of these draft guru junkies really need to take a break & enjoy a nice spring breeze. Loosen up people. Is the NFL draft your sole purpose for getting up everyday? Take a deep breath & relax man. 

Let's see what we have first before we lunge ahead shall we....2017 is way too far ahead to get preoccupied with now. 

5 hours ago, akcolt said:

The RB class is loaded. The only 2 that' go in the 1st for sure are Cook and Fourrente IMO baring injury.

I think Royce Freeman will be the best pro RB to come out of tbe PAC 12 next year. We should grab him in the 2nd. He's not your typical Oregon RB. His fast yes but his big and powerful too. 

The edge class is loaded. I think Gsrrett goes top 5 if Lawson stays healthy all year he's top 10 and Williams will be in the top 15. I think we have a shot at the others.

I think we could come out of the first 2 days with Barnett/Harris 1st 

Freeman 2nd  Fields/Charles/Caraway 3rd If we wanted to double up. 

Fields might not slip thaf far he's balled since being dismissed from TCU. Charles could go in the 1st on talent. He probably will if he has the kind of seasin he should but he's yet to do that. 

I'd be stoked with Barnett/Freeman 1-2. We will get at least 1 pass rusher and a franchise RB 

I've watched a little bit of Royce Freeman recently. He looks strong. If we could get him or a comparable running back in round 2 and find value in a pass rusher in round 1 next year, pieces would really be falling into place. 

5 hours ago, Track Guy said:

I've watched a little bit of Royce Freeman recently. He looks strong. If we could get him or a comparable running back in round 2 and find value in a pass rusher in round 1 next year, pieces would really be falling into place. 

The Ducks loss their QB it would hekp our cause if they had a down year