Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

5 round mock

Yup, another mock draft. And why not?

1. Leonard Floyd, OLB.  The number one need for this team is a pass rush. This guy fits the bill. Tons of potential. 

2. Nick Martin, C.  There is no future at the position with the current crop. The Colts get their Center for the next decade. 

3. Sebastian Tretola, G.  More talent for the beleaguered O-line. Best O-lineman in the SEC not named Ryan Kelly. 

4. Nick Vigil, ILB. This guy can play and the team needs an infusion of talent after letting Freeman walk. 

5. Daniel Lasco, RB. He has home run speed and was a great player for Cal. That's as close as the Colts will come to drafting a Stanford player this year. For what its worth, he tested amazingly well at the Combine. Best standing broad jump for a RB in a decade; best vertical leap, among fastest 40s, etc. 

Leonard Floyd is starting to grow on me. It appears he has bulked up to around 244 lbs for the Combine. I would like to see him above 250 lbs by the time the season starts. I like his athleticism and he had some solid production at Georgia. 

My concern is that he will end up as Barkevious Mingo 2.0. Mingo was the 6th pick in the 2013 draft, he had tons of potential coming out of LSU, very similar size and measurables to Floyd. Mingo has really struggled in Cleveland. 

Love the Nick Martin pick in the 2nd round. I am not sure that Tretola fits what we are looking for in a guard. Grigson seems to like college tackles, and it appears they want more athletic guards given offensive coaching changes. One guy I could see us taking a hard look at is Caleb Benenoch from UCLA.

Floyd would make me very nervous.  I just don't see him as an elite pass rusher, and his style of play doesn't thrill me.  From the tape I watched, he doesn't try to take on blocks, but rather shoot the gaps between them.  Never saw any kind of counter-moves in his pass-rush either.  Never had more than 6.5 sacks in a season in college either, which is pretty crappy production for a supposedly elite rusher.  (I know he wasn't rushing the passer 100% of the time.)  Still, everything about him makes me nervous.

3 minutes ago, Archer said:

Floyd would make me very nervous.  I just don't see him as an elite pass rusher, and his style of play doesn't thrill me.  From the tape I watched, he doesn't try to take on blocks, but rather shoot the gaps between them.  Never saw any kind of counter-moves in his pass-rush either.  Never had more than 6.5 sacks in a season in college either, which is pretty crappy production for a supposedly elite rusher.  (I know he wasn't rushing the passer 100% of the time.)  Still, everything about him makes me nervous.

The most sacks Spence had at OSU was 8.5. Then he went to EKU and got 13.5. Just to put things into perspective. Floyd was also moved around everywhere. Didn't spend as much time rushing the passer as the other top guys.

Our every down pass rushers have to be able to play the run also.  Elite pass rushers that can hold up against the run are top 15 players...and I don't even think there is one in this year's draft.

Its too bad, but you can't draft what isn't there, no matter how badly you wish he was.

If we are going to use pick 18 on an edge player that will play all three downs, I'd just as soon draft Shaq Lawson, and I don't want to draft Shaq Lawson.

27 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The most sacks Spence had at OSU was 8.5. Then he went to EKU and got 13.5. Just to put things into perspective. Floyd was also moved around everywhere. Didn't spend as much time rushing the passer as the other top guys.

Spence 7.5 sacks got them in 13 games at OSU, Floyd was about 5 avg per 13 game season thru 3 years.

Jordan Jenkins was the bigger threat at Georgia over Floyd. He had the same production sacks and better in TFL. He was much more often the one that was doubled and set edge better. I'd love to see the Colts get him in the 2-3 rd.

23 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm aware that he wasn't used as much rushing the passer as many of the other top guys.  The question in my mind is "why?".  If you had a top NFL pass-rusher in the making on your college team, wouldn't you make him  the focus of your pass rush.  Heck, Floyd even got himself benched two years ago for being beyond useless against the run.  Question is: did Georgia make a colossal error by not having him rush the passer more, or did the coaching staff know that he was not the pass-rusher he's being billed as?

23 hours ago, JRnINDY said:

Spence 7.5 sacks got them in 13 games at OSU, Floyd was about 5 avg per 13 game season thru 3 years.

Jordan Jenkins was the bigger threat at Georgia over Floyd. He had the same production sacks and better in TFL. He was much more often the one that was doubled and set edge better. I'd love to see the Colts get him in the 2-3 rd.

Yes sir you got it right Jenkins was the best OLB in Georgia. I really like Jenkins in this draft in the 3rd. We know he can set the edge and bring a pass rush from that side. i think he has huge upside as a pass rusher 

8 hours ago, Archer said:

I'm aware that he wasn't used as much rushing the passer as many of the other top guys.  The question in my mind is "why?".  If you had a top NFL pass-rusher in the making on your college team, wouldn't you make him  the focus of your pass rush.  Heck, Floyd even got himself benched two years ago for being beyond useless against the run.  Question is: did Georgia make a colossal error by not having him rush the passer more, or did the coaching staff know that he was not the pass-rusher he's being billed as?

If you watch how Georgia uses their LBs you'll see it was for scheme purposes. He was a lot more flexible for them than Jarvis Jones was. Remember Floyd is a ridiculous athlete. Think Robert Nkemdiche and how Ole Miss used him. He got a concussion from playing RB for them this past season.

I don't know why they would be upset he couldn't help against the run. That's their fault for not developing him more. As we have seen he's very capable of gaining weight, so I don't see the issue there.

I don't necessarily think 3-4 rush LBs HAVE to be great edge setters. That's not what you pay them for. That's why In my latest mock I have the Colts taking Floyd and Jenkins. Jenkins has always been the edge setter for Georgia, and a very good one while not being a great pass rusher. He's doesn't have the explosion off the line like Floyd does. Floyd also got a lot of pressures as well and showed he's someone that effects every play.

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

If you watch how Georgia uses their LBs you'll see it was for scheme purposes. He was a lot more flexible for them than Jarvis Jones was. Remember Floyd is a ridiculous athlete. Think Robert Nkemdiche and how Ole Miss used him. He got a concussion from playing RB for them this past season.

I don't know why they would be upset he couldn't help against the run. That's their fault for not developing him more. As we have seen he's very capable of gaining weight, so I don't see the issue there.

I don't necessarily think 3-4 rush LBs HAVE to be great edge setters. That's not what you pay them for. That's why In my latest mock I have the Colts taking Floyd and Jenkins. Jenkins has always been the edge setter for Georgia, and a very good one while not being a great pass rusher. He's doesn't have the explosion off the line like Floyd does. Floyd also got a lot of pressures as well and showed he's someone that effects every play.

Good discussion.  I'll try to keep all this in mind if we draft him.  After all, I do think it is the exact correct position for us to draft in Round 1.