Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Touchback rule change

CR91

You are all missing the main reason for the rule change. It was necessitated by the extra point rule change. 

Since the extra point is no longer a "gimme" fans need to stay and watch to see if it's made or not. That takes away the time when everyone used to go to the concessions and use the bathroom.

Now we can go during the kickoff! It's genius! 

1 hour ago, coltsva said:

You are all missing the main reason for the rule change. It was necessitated by the extra point rule change. 

Since the extra point is no longer a "gimme" fans need to stay and watch to see if it's made or not. That takes away the time when everyone used to go to the concessions and use the bathroom.

Now we can go during the kickoff! It's genius! 

Have you ever been to a game?  When you go to the bathroom or concession stand you are gone for 30-45 minutes.   The extra point or kickoff isn't going to effect that

21 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Have you ever been to a game?  When you go to the bathroom or concession stand you are gone for 30-45 minutes.   The extra point or kickoff isn't going to effect that

haha Great point. Hey jvan, for an aging old decrepit man like myself, it takes me 30-45 minutes just to go at home sometimes. Mercy! :) Thank God, for DirecTV & DVR. Getting to a game is a long overdue excursion for me. 

On 3/24/2016 at 4:35 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

The league wants to remove the kickoff.  The most concussion suffered are during the kickoff.  Many less during punts.  But there are twice as many punt returns for TD's than kickoffs.  Seeing the slow death of special team, Mike Westhoff and Pat Kirwan/Jim Miller have proposed two separate alternatives.

Westhoff proposes a kickoff from their own 25.  10 yard space as before.  9 of the receiving team must line up on the line 10 yards away, only 2 back deep. But also, the next 15 yards as automatic downed ball for receiving team.  So no pooch pop up kicks.  Kicking team must get the ball past the 50 in order to be able to recover it.

Pat Kirwan proposes teams lineup for a punt from the 40.  A QB (backup or starter) cannot be on the field in opening or after a score 'punt/kickoff' team.  The initial punt can be blocked and ran in for a TD.  The punt can be fair caught, returned, or allowed to roll and downed as a normal punt.  Jim Miller also proposes no Fair Catches with less than 9 minutes to go in the game.

Either would allow a traditional onside kick as is today, but that takes away the Sean Payton surprise onside (super bowl vs. Colts).

They both have started to come up with plays that keep special teams players and coaches employed and part of the game  and less a one man (QB) show.  They both know the handwriting is on the wall for traditional kickoffs with its full speed missiles running 40 yards untouched and blowing up blockers and kick returners.  NFL is trying to discourage returms, but I agree with jvan, this one will backfire.  no more touchbacks will happen, and kickers will corner kick to the 2-5 yard line and get after them from there.

Westhoff was asked by the Jets to return as Special team coordinator.  He said why?  There currently is no job or coaching to do there (so many touchbacks).  So a creative way to save special teams and reduce concussions is making its way across some experienced (ex) NFL minds.

I'm not sure about that.  College football already does this and kick off returns in college seem pretty rare.

Maybe some coaches will tell the kicker to try to drop it at the 1 or something, but it seems like a big risk to be taking over 5 yards of difference.  

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 10:22 AM, OffensivelyPC said:

I don't see that being the case.  They could squib it down the field or pop it up every time, but the momentum of the ball would carry it into the endzone.  Teams returning the ball would want it to go into the end zone because returning the ball caught 5 yards deep in the endzone, as the Colts have been accustomed to hardly yields starting field position at the 20, let alone 25.  You take the yards you know you can get.

That is the way I see it too. I said in an earlier comment it wouldn't change what Boomstick does now. The only thing it might effect is playing in adverse weather conditions like kicking into a strong wind.

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm not sure about that.  College football already does this and kick off returns in college seem pretty rare.

Maybe some coaches will tell the kicker to try to drop it at the 1 or something, but it seems like a big risk to be taking over 5 yards of difference.  

Kirwan predicts with the current rule this year they will hang kick to the one outside the numbers.  He says the kickers he's worked with can place it on a dime.  Remember, no holder, no defensive rush, no time limit (within reason).  Maybe they even perfect the backspin for recovery. notably into a wind),  thinking returner lets it roll into the end zone.

But the two alternatives I had illustrated above are to reduce concussions yet still having a potential play in place, with the spacing of return team vs cover team keeps cover team from running 40 yards untouched and blowing up blockers and runners.

On 3/28/2016 at 0:53 PM, jvan1973 said:

I go to 4 games a season. I miss 2 plays for a bathroom trip and the concession trip is before the game starts for a pretzel and water. Best time to go is on 4th down when Colts are punting. You get the punt, the TV timeout, and maybe 1 offensive snap for the other team.