Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock 1-17 based on team needs - Colts are now on the clock. Who are we taking?

15 hours ago, Superman said:

Watch the game film. He's plenty explosive.

Edit: He ran an unimpressive 3-cone, but on film, he has plenty of agility, bend and change of direction ability. He can bend the corner, he can close on the QB, and he pursues well. He has burst from a three point stance and a quick first step from a two point stance. Explosiveness is not an issue with Spence. He needs to refine his technique, and he'll be a double digit sack guy.

http://draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258081&gif=WickedPoisedGemsbuck

Odd I don't see him as explosive but extremely knowing of the game.  I think his technique is extremely high and his body positioning top notch.  He knows how play the game and I see that as his biggest value.  

I see his pop from 2 point but do not see it from his 3 point (of course we are relatively speaking to existing rushers in the NFL).  For example in the clip you posted he covers not even a yard in the first movement and takes that leaping 2nd step to cover ground.  In the NFL that isn't going to work because the Tackle will already be on the edge and will either A. Knock him off balance or B. Shield him out of the play. 

My opinion of course.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/21/2016 at 4:04 AM, crestmount said:

Ryan Kelly--our greatest need is the O-line, and we desperately need a high quality Center--There is no way Kelly will still be available when we pick in the 2nd rd, so we have take the plunge now

Based on what I am reading, he is a plug and play 10 year starter.  Most people are going to say it's a reach at 18, but if he is what they say and recognizing that it's a position of dire need for the Colts, would it REALLY be such a reach to get what is being touted as being a plug and play 10 year starter with very realistic Pro Bowl / All-Pro upside?

Also note, so many people seem to just assume that trading back is an easy peasy proposition, but in reality I suspect it is WAY harder to do than most people realize.  

Bottom line, though, I would be not one bit upset by this "reach" at 18, assuming that Ryan Kelly is who they are touting him to be.

As for Jaylon Smith, if he is there when the Colts pick in the second round, which is beginning to sound more and more like a very real possibility, then I would take the risk and snatch him up.  Top 5 talent that if he recovers will be THE pass rusher everybody seeks ... I would happily take him and wait for a year, if full recovery can be expected.

Nearly every mock  I have seen has us taking some type of OL, especially T. Definitely need OL, but more C & G than tackle. But with out 1st pick would love to see us address getting a playmaker, somebody who is going to help change the game- sacks, pressures, tackles for loss, interceptions... just don't have enough of those guys right now. Would have hoped that Darron Lee would fall to us, but going with this mock, I would take

Eli Apple or William Jackson.

Huge hole at CB2 & we have the opportunity to possibly put together at great team of CB's with Vontae.   

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Which website is this?    Edit note:   I see this is from NFL.com.     Hmmm?    Interesting perspective....

When I select a 1st round draft pick I'd like to get a decade out of him.     I don't see a sub-6'1" 310 pound NT holding up for a decade.      That's a lot of tonnage crashing down on him for 10 years.

Summary report on him form Scout Bill Roos, RFN-

Andrew Billings

Strong points- lock out motor, Get off, Hoops drill, Tacle

Weak points- high pad level when stemming, speed

Summary of run ability
Explodes off LOS. Made contact on other side of ball. Gets hands under blocker. Sheds then
tackles. Pursues down LOS, makes plays bounce.

Summary of passing ability
Natural Bull Rusher who then will tug & rip. Forces QB off launch point and reads screens.

Summary of Football Ability
Big man in the rear Holds up$vs. Double$Teams. Creates new LOS. Lots of energy. Every down
player. Could be a two gap 3 - 4 DE or a 4 - 3 DT/NT.  GRADE: 7.01

5 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Summary report on him form Scout Bill Roos, RFN-

Andrew Billings

Strong points- lock out motor, Get off, Hoops drill, Tacle

Weak points- high pad level when stemming, speed

Summary of run ability
Explodes off LOS. Made contact on other side of ball. Gets hands under blocker. Sheds then
tackles. Pursues down LOS, makes plays bounce.

Summary of passing ability
Natural Bull Rusher who then will tug & rip. Forces QB off launch point and reads screens.

Summary of Football Ability
Big man in the rear Holds up$vs. Double$Teams. Creates new LOS. Lots of energy. Every down
player. Could be a two gap 3 - 4 DE or a 4 - 3 DT/NT.  GRADE: 7.01

I'm sorry....     but something looks completely wrong here.      A 3-4 DE and NOT a 3-4 NT?!?    Huh?

Or a 4-3 DT/NT.....    that's the position I think he'd fit best in.        

How many 3-4 DE's are there who are shorter than 6'1" and 310.     I suspect that number would be less than five and likely close to..... zero.

What website is RFN??

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm sorry....     but something looks completely wrong here.      A 3-4 DE and NOT a 3-4 NT?!?    Huh?

Or a 4-3 DT/NT.....    that's the position I think he'd fit best in.        

How many 3-4 DE's are there who are shorter than 6'1" and 310.     I suspect that number would be less than five and likely close to..... zero.

What website is RFN??

Pat Kirwan's football site.    RealFootBallNetwork.com

I think until recently he was listed at 6'2' and over 310 lbs.  and he was just recently measured at just over 6 feet (6'1") and 311.  But his 33" arms gives him some 'length' back.  Plus, he has a special combination of massive power at the point of attack plus the burst to get after the quarterback. Many big tackles like Billings are stationary, but Billings has shown the speed to close and make tackles outside of his gap(s)  Scout Bill Roos thinks he can play 5 technique or undertackle.  I don't know whether he can or not.