Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does New Era Mean Peyton Goes?

JColts72

http://www.rotoworld.../peyton-manning

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on
SportsCenter
Wednesday that Peyton Manning "will not push back" his $28 million roster bonus and will either stay with the Colts or be released by the Colts.

Per Schefter, the sides are dug in. Owner Jim Irsay isn't going to trade Manning, and Manning won't restructure his contract to allow the Colts to get something in return. The $28 million bonus is due on March 8. Irsay is staunch in his commitment to pay Manning if he's healthy, but he's going to have to receive medical clearance from neck surgery in order to see the money.

Well there you have it folks/

Not sure why it has to be reported that the sides have dug in when it was already established that the deadline can't be pushed back no matter who wants it to.

I think he's just being as factual as possible while lending a touch of drama.

This is a jim irsay quote directly:"I've already paid him alot of money not to play this year,so 'why' wouldn't i pay him another 28 million?"

This is 'JIM IRSAY' talking.You know...the guy that's the OWNER OF THE FRANCHISE.

What if Manning is not healthy?

That quote supposes that he will be healthy. No way they pay him the bonus if he isn't.

He's close enough now(90%).We'll carry the option.

No one can definitively say that. I would bet even Manning cannot make that statement today.

What's more is that even with the knowledge today that Manning will be completely healthy next season, there is still a very reasonable business decision to be made that releasing him is the best long term decision for the team. Cutting him this year saves $10 million off the 2012 cap. If they did pay him his bonus and he got hurt next year and was forced to stop playing, his 2013 cap hit would be $28 million. That is an unmanageble figure. Plus he will be 36. I don't envy Grigson or Irsay because they have some tough decisions and even though cutting him will be hard, that may be the right thing to do.

No one can definitively say that. I would bet even Manning cannot make that statement today.

What's more is that even with the knowledge today that Manning will be completely healthy next season, there is still a very reasonable business decision to be made that releasing him is the best long term decision for the team. Cutting him this year saves $10 million off the 2012 cap. If they did pay him his bonus and he got hurt next year and was forced to stop playing, his 2013 cap hit would be $28 million. That is an unmanageble figure. Plus he will be 36. I don't envy Grigson or Irsay because they have some tough decisions and even though cutting him will be hard, that may be the right thing to do.

If it were any other player,but its manning.This situation is different.He's the face of the NFL and this franchise(i don't count any BMC players).

If it were any other player,but its manning.This situation is different.He's the face of the NFL and this franchise(i don't count any BMC players).

Do the laws of medicine not apply to Manning?

If Joe Montana, Wayne Gretzky, Johnny U, Joe Namath among others can be traded or released so can Manning. You fooling yourself if you believe otherwise.

Do the laws of medicine not apply to Manning?

If Joe Montana, Wayne Gretzky, Johnny U, Joe Namath among others can be traded or released so can Manning. You fooling yourself if you believe otherwise.

The only great player that you mentioned there is WAYNE GRETZKY.The others' are not in MANNING'S league.Especially the crewcut and namath.

nu uh, it's PEYTON MANNING!

I hope he's healthy, because that's really the only thing, but even Archie keeps saying "he's trying".

I'm not big on conventional wisdom in these situations, and frankly as much as Peyton is a rock star and has established the Indianapolis Colts, a clean break and 30 million to spend on the "depleted" roster makes a lot of sense, more so with Luck coming in at a much lower price than Manning.

I personally couldn't careless about the money issue.In my opinion,this contract has more to do with what he's already done for us.Its his money and he's earned it.But manning is a class act and will probably restructure on a volunteer(no pun intended) basis.

And this is why you'd be a failure as an NFL owner.

Owners cannot and do not pay players for their past performances. Teams would be in massive cap trouble if that were the case.

If successful teams played their players based on the past, there'd be no dominant teams.

The only great player that you mentioned there is WAYNE GRETZKY.The others' are not in MANNING'S league.Especially the crewcut and namath.

Answer the laws of medicine question. Does Manning heal differently than other humans?

And the notion that only great player on my list of guys who were traded or cut is simply wrong. Comically so.

WOW.

Joe Montana's not in Manning's league?

Montana, who is often referred to as the #1 QB of all time?

Montana, who has never thrown an INT in a SB, versus his 14 TDs? Funny, I remember Manning throwing a pick-six that sealed the deal two years ago.

Please. Manning isn't on Montana's level.

WOW.

Joe Montana's not in Manning's league?

Montana, who is often referred to as the #1 QB of all time?

Montana, who has never thrown an INT in a SB, versus his 14 TDs? Funny, I remember Manning throwing a pick-six that sealed the deal two years ago.

Please. Manning isn't on Montana's level.

Nothing but a system quarterback.I think steve young/jeff garcia proved that.And young was the best of the bunch.

Nothing but a system quarterback.I think steve young/jeff garcia proved that.And young was the best of the bunch.

To say Joe Montana is not in Mannings league is absolutely absurd. I may get the banhammer for this one but that is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Montana a system QB?

someone shoot me

To say Joe Montana is not in Mannings league is absolutely absurd. I may get the banhammer for this one but that is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Montana a system QB?

someone shoot me

Just look at the success the others had in that system,then tell me differently.All THREE had similiar numbers and production,with young being the best.I think montana's rings cloud everybodies opinion.He WAS NOT that good.

Just look at the success the others had in that system,then tell me differently.All THREE had similiar numbers and production,with young being the best.I think montana's rings cloud everybodies opinion.He WAS NOT that good.

Jeff Garcia played four seasons for the Niners, He is currently (maybe not now) a backup on the Texans. He had two good seasons with the niners. Two. Zero championships.

Steve Young played 8 full seasons (injured in his last) with the niners and his numbers are lower than Montanas. He has one SB ring.

Joe Montana has 4 super bowls, 4-0 in the SB, countless GW drives, has a QB rating of 127.4 in 4 Super Bowls.95.6 in the playoffs. Higher than Manning and Brady.