Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Combine Day 3

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take Shaq over Spence and all the rest of them. Spence would be my 2nd though.

Shaq to me is more in the Terrell Suggs/Mcphee mold. He's got great hands, solid quickness but is going to be beating you more with power and brute strength. Plus he's awesome against the run registering tons of TFL. You can leave him on the field for all 3 downs. He's a well coached player who has shown very little if no evidence you will have to worry about him off the field.  In my mind he equates to what Grigson and Pagano are talking about when they say "Horse Shoe Guy", or "Blue Traits".

21 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I'd actually like to see Shaq lose about 10-15 pounds. That would help with his acceleration off the snap I think. Its alright but not great

I don't think Lawson is that athletic. That's his issue. Plays with a relentless motor and power, but doesn't appear to have the athleticism to win with speed of the edge or be comfortable in coverage.

Dropping weight will make him quicker, but not more explosive.

I do have a concern with Shaq having some pudge on him and early on it took a while for him to understand how to do one of the position drills which I think he probably should have been doing before the Combine. Maybe I'm reading things wrong with him but those two things are a bit concerning to me if I'm a GM

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

I like Ngakoue too.  Not at 18 though.

I like him round 3 because 4 might be too late. At 18 I'm mainly looking at Floyd if he kills the rest of his day. Spence is probably off the board for character concerns and Lawson isn't really impressing. Floyd is pretty much the last hope for a 1st round rusher for us IMO. After him I like Calhoun round 2.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I like him round 3 because 4 might be too late. At 18 I'm mainly looking at Floyd if he kills the rest of his day. Spence is probably off the board for character concerns and Lawson isn't really impressing. Floyd is pretty much the last hope for a 1st round rusher for us IMO. After him I like Calhoun round 2.

Speak for yourself on Lawson. He's been fine to me!  You know I'm opposite of you on Floyd so we are different.  Not a problem because that happens between us sometimes.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Speak for yourself on Lawson. He's been fine to me!  You know I'm opposite of you on Floyd so we are different.  Not a problem because that happens between us sometimes.

Nothing wrong with a difference of opinions haha. I think Lawson is a great player, but he'll be better in a 4-3. I like him going to the Bucs round 1.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I've read very little that says Shaq Lawson can play OLB effectively.    

Most everything I've read is 4-3 DE.

For a 3-4, he's not big enough for a lineman, and not athletic enough nor good enough in space for an OLB.

Says who?  And exactly how much are we dropping him in space?

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I havent watched any film on Darren Lee, but I saw he ran a 4.47.  What's your take on him?

Lee is like Ryan Shazier but not as physical. He's a 4-3 Will who will fly around the field and make plays. He's a great coverage guy as well. But I don't think you can play him inside. Perry is the more traditional LB of the two.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Manusky had people like Chapman doing zone drops so I'm not getting my underwear in a wad worrying about how good of a zone dropper Lawson is.

I don't think Lawson dropping into zone would be a problem either but Manusky dropping Chapman into a Zone speaks to one of the examples of why he was fired

1 minute ago, Gavin said:

I don't think Lawson dropping into zone would be a problem either but Manusky dropping Chapman into a Zone speaks to one of the examples of why he was fired

I agree.  And I'll give credit to your guy Floyd, he ran a nice 4.6

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I hope Floyd isn't done though. Didn't run his second 40 and was messing with his leg on the sideline. I hope he was just cramped.

I don't think he's running again. I think he was good with his first time so he stopped.

I think you take excellent ball players in the first round.  I see Shaq as more of a SAM backer due to his outstanding run defense, but one with very good pass rush ability. Better than what we have been getting out of Walden. Plus he's a bigger guy than Walden is at 6'4" 260.  You can bring him as the Rush or SAM, but I think the SAM would be his home.   In my mind if we can add a pure pass rusher like Correa along with whoever we choose in FA we'll be much improved.

34 minutes ago, krunk said:

Says who?  And exactly how much are we dropping him in space?

The same sites I normally quote...    ESPN,  NFL.com,   CBS Sports.

And if he's an OLB,  then he'll be dropped into space some....   and he'll be operating in space as an OLB.   I don't think that plays to his strengths.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The same sites I normally quote...    ESPN,  NFL.com,   CBS Sports.

And if he's an OLB,  then he'll be dropped into space some....   and he'll be operating in space as an OLB.   I don't think that plays to his strengths.

You mean your source on NFL.com Lance Zierlein who translates him directly into a 3-4 as a Sam Backer?

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

You mean your source on NFL.com Lance Zierlein who translates him directly into a 3-4 as a Sam Backer?

Mayock also said during the broadcast that he has been talking to several teams, and they see Lawson as a 3-4 OLB as well. Many don't see him as only being a 4-3 end.