Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If you were a Pittsburgh Steelers fan...

DalTXColtsFan

3 hours ago, amfootball said:

The Colts had a pretty lousy stretch between Unitas and Harbaugh and the selling of the franchise as well which we don't need to rehash but that is also part of the history. My only argument here is this run by the Pats since Kraft bought the team in 94 is the best in NFL history and still going.

3 hours ago, amfootball said:

The Colts had a pretty lousy stretch between Unitas and Harbaugh and the selling of the franchise as well which we don't need to rehash but that is also part of the history. My only argument here is this run by the Pats since Kraft bought the team in 94 is the best in NFL history and still going.

The Patriots also had many a lousy stretch between 1960- 2000. The bad stretch of the Baltimore Colts you referred to  occurred between 1972-1983, but still included three AFC East Division Championships . By the way, as you know, the Patriots were in that division.  Between 1984-1995, we had no football, and since 96, the Ravens have had 2 Super Bowls in 20 years, versus 4 Championships for the Patriots in 55 years. Obviously, this is the best era of Patriot football, but overall it pales in comparison to Packer history, or the two separate eras of NFL football in Baltimore that produced 6 NFL Championships over 50 years . 

1 hour ago, The Old Crow said:

The Patriots also had many a lousy stretch between 1960- 2000. The bad stretch of the Baltimore Colts you referred to  occurred between 1972-1983, but still included three AFC East Division Championships . By the way, as you know, the Patriots were in that division.  Between 1984-1995, we had no football, and since 96, the Ravens have had 2 Super Bowls in 20 years, versus 4 Championships for the Patriots in 55 years. Obviously, this is the best era of Patriot football, but overall it pales in comparison to Packer history, or the two separate eras of NFL football in Baltimore that produced 6 NFL Championships over 50 years . 

I am not really sure what you are driving at. The dynastic teams of the NFL are the Steelers, Niners, Cowboys and Pats. Colts are not on that list. That is not to say you don't have a rich history but winning when the league was comprised of a dozen teams back then is not comparable to the 32 of today and no cap or FA either. That is what makes the Pats run the best of them all - the era where the league is designed for every team to finish 8-8 where teams turn over every 3 years. 

1 hour ago, amfootball said:

I am not really sure what you are driving at. The dynastic teams of the NFL are the Steelers, Niners, Cowboys and Pats. Colts are not on that list. That is not to say you don't have a rich history but winning when the league was comprised of a dozen teams back then is not comparable to the 32 of today and no cap or FA either. That is what makes the Pats run the best of them all - the era where the league is designed for every team to finish 8-8 where teams turn over every 3 years. 

The Patriots didn't win when there were a dozen teams. My point is historically, the NE franchise with 4 titles in 55 years pales next to Green Bay, for example. When I look at teams or franchises, I take a longer look than a ten year window. 

1 hour ago, ViriLudant said:

LOL.  Show me any respectable publication that even lists Baltimore as being a dynasty.  The Kraft era has seen the Patriots go to the Super Bowl 6 times.  And anything pre-merger is less than impressive, in such a small league.

I don't think Baltimore is a dynasty, just that they had a more successful overall football history than Boston/ NE. The Baltimore Colts won in 58,59,68, and won Super Bowl 5.  They lost in 64, and Super Bowl 3. 65 lost in playoffs, 67 11-1-2, and lost 71 AFC Chsmpionship game. 

34 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I don't think Baltimore is a dynasty, just that they had a more successful overall football history than Boston/ NE. The Baltimore Colts won in 58,59,68, and won Super Bowl 5.  They lost in 64, and Super Bowl 3. 65 lost in playoffs, 67 11-1-2, and lost 71 AFC Chsmpionship game. 

What year was the merger?  Anything before that (The Patriots were an AFL team) doesn't hold much weight at all.  

11 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

The Patriots didn't win when there were a dozen teams. My point is historically, the NE franchise with 4 titles in 55 years pales next to Green Bay, for example. When I look at teams or franchises, I take a longer look than a ten year window. 

I had already agreed with your point on history. Pats have only been around since 1960 and even though they have made Super Bowls every decade since the 80's, they are not the Packers for sure. My main point has been this dynastic run which has been in the best in NFL history and still going. Bill and Brady are the best HC/QB duo in NFL history as well. But, I am not arguing overall franchise history. Pats have not been around long enough but if their success continues post-Brady then they can make a legit claim as the best of all time. We will see how it all pans out but this run which has occurred during the prime of my life (I am 41) has been absolutely thrilling. I know you lived through Unitas so I am sure you can relate.

11 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

I have, Rosenbloom had the same amount of Championships in

less years. 

Sure, equal on championships but Kraft has 7 SB appearances, 7 conference championships, 14 division championships and his teams have appeared in 36 playoff games with 24 wins. There is no other owner in a 20 year span who has achieved more.

1 hour ago, amfootball said:

Sure, equal on championships but Kraft has 7 SB appearances, 7 conference championships, 14 division championships and his teams have appeared in 36 playoff games with 24 wins. There is no other owner in a 20 year span who has achieved more.

Just to bring this up I think what the Indianapolis Colts have accomplished over the last 20 seasons being 1995-2014 seasons is pretty impressive for a 2 decade run with AFC Title Game appearances in 1995/2003/2006/2009/2014, SB appearances in 2006/2009, and a SB win in 2006. The SB win validates their greatness. What impresses me about the Colts run over the last 20 seasons as an organization though is they have been to Title games with 3 different QB's being Harbaugh, Peyton, and Luck. I will be real curious to see how the Patriots do once Tom retires? I know Bledsoe took you guys to a SB in 1996 as well but really nobody ever really thought the Patriots were a powerhouse until Tom won 3 SB's in 4 seasons in 2004. I think the Colts with Luck have their new franchise QB to take Peyton's place, he has already proven he can go deep in the Playoffs. We just need to put a better team around him to win it all again.

-I personally still think we got ripped off in 1995 in the AFC Title Game otherwise Harbaugh would've been in the SB. One of the Steelers TD's shouldn't even of counted as their WR went out of bounds and came back in to catch a TD (Stewart) and I still think Bailey caught that pass in the end. Had the game been here I highly doubt the REFS would've ruled that incomplete. That is a whole other topic though. It is definitely fact the Steelers shouldn't of had those 7 points I mentioned though. We lost 20-16. No replay back then so what can I do haha 

17 hours ago, ViriLudant said:

What year was the merger?  Anything before that (The Patriots were an AFL team) doesn't hold much weight at all.  

It is NFL history and counts. If you believe that , take down your World Series Championships off the side of Fenway Park from the Red Sox/ Babe Ruth era ! The Packers have 13 titles, like the Yankees have 27. 

I love how Patriot, Steeler, and 49er fans disavow NFL or AFL Championships because they sucked for most of the history of their franchises. 

It must have held some weight or the league's wouldn't have merged !

6 hours ago, amfootball said:

I had already agreed with your point on history. Pats have only been around since 1960 and even though they have made Super Bowls every decade since the 80's, they are not the Packers for sure. My main point has been this dynastic run which has been in the best in NFL history and still going. Bill and Brady are the best HC/QB duo in NFL history as well. But, I am not arguing overall franchise history. Pats have not been around long enough but if their success continues post-Brady then they can make a legit claim as the best of all time. We will see how it all pans out but this run which has occurred during the prime of my life (I am 41) has been absolutely thrilling. I know you lived through Unitas so I am sure you can relate.

Definitely a great era for the Patriots. The key will be continuing it after Belichick and Brady. 

6 hours ago, amfootball said:

Its a good stretch , no doubt. Think about the 58-71 Baltimore Colts though. You are right , they aren't considered a dynasty , but they won three NFL Titles and a Super Bowl during the Packers dynastic era. The Landry Cowboys and Allen Rams were also around. Some very tough rivals back then .

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Just to bring this up I think what the Indianapolis Colts have accomplished over the last 20 seasons being 1995-2014 seasons is pretty impressive for a 2 decade run with AFC Title Game appearances in 1995/2003/2006/2009/2014, SB appearances in 2006/2009, and a SB win in 2006. The SB win validates their greatness. What impresses me about the Colts run over the last 20 seasons as an organization though is they have been to Title games with 3 different QB's being Harbaugh, Peyton, and Luck. I will be real curious to see how the Patriots do once Tom retires? I know Bledsoe took you guys to a SB in 1996 as well but really nobody ever really thought the Patriots were a powerhouse until Tom won 3 SB's in 4 seasons in 2004. I think the Colts with Luck have their new franchise QB to take Peyton's place, he has already proven he can go deep in the Playoffs. We just need to put a better team around him to win it all again.

-I personally still think we got ripped off in 1995 in the AFC Title Game otherwise Harbaugh would've been in the SB. One of the Steelers TD's shouldn't even of counted as their WR went out of bounds and came back in to catch a TD (Stewart) and I still think Bailey caught that pass in the end. Had the game been here I highly doubt the REFS would've ruled that incomplete. That is a whole other topic though. It is definitely fact the Steelers shouldn't of had those 7 points I mentioned though. We lost 20-16. No replay back then so what can I do haha 

The Indy Colts have had a very impressive during the last 20 years. I know Irsay would like more Super Bowls, but they did get one, and have many division titles, and a couple of conference championships. 

You pu definitely got ripped off in that Steelers game. They get many breaks like they did in the Super Bowl with the Seahawks. 

15 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Its a good stretch , no doubt. Think about the 58-71 Baltimore Colts though. You are right , they aren't considered a dynasty , but they won three NFL Titles and a Super Bowl during the Packers dynastic era. The Landry Cowboys and Allen Rams were also around. Some very tough rivals back then .

What do you want to see the Ravens do this off-season?

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Nah. I hope they beat up on the Patriots.

BTW, do you expect Harbaugh and Ozzie back?  I hope so. 

After both are out, I will be extremely happy. I wanted the Jets to win. 

Ozzie and John will be back.  There are no changes contemplated at all. They played better in the second half of the season with 21 players on IR. Need to restructure Joe, cut down dead money, and get guys healthy. Obviously, a very critical draft. 

2 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

After both are out, I will be extremely happy. I wanted the Jets to win. 

Ozzie and John will be back.  There are no changes contemplated at all. They played better in the second half of the season with 21 players on IR. Need to restructure Joe, cut down dead money, and get guys healthy. Obviously, a very critical draft. 

That's great. I like stability and they seem to have a good, harmonious working relationship. I hope my team emulates them.

BTW, do you know Stefon Diggs who is from your neck of the woods?. Seems like everyone from Maryand knew him and would tell Vikings fans how much of a special player he was. 

18 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I won't be happy until those yellow towels are in the gutter after a playoff loss. 

LOL. That is how I feel about the Jets. Glad their season ended today in humiliating fashion to their former coach. You really can't write a better script.

32 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That's great. I like stability and they seem to have a good, harmonious working relationship. I hope my team emulates them.

BTW, do you know Stefon Diggs who is from your neck of the woods?. Seems like everyone from Maryand knew him and would tell Vikings fans how much of a special player he was. 

I'm a big Terps fan so I definitely know Diggs. The Ravens worked him out , and Ozzie gaffed by not drafting him. Great pick by the Vikings. 

32 minutes ago, amfootball said:

LOL. That is how I feel about the Jets. Glad their season ended today in humiliating fashion to their former coach. You really can't write a better script.

The Jets and Mets fans aren't exactly the pillar of high society. I've witnessed them in action, but have a more recent history with Steeler miscreants and their yellow snot rags.