Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One thing I've noticed..

myic90

So I have the habit of not only watching the Colts players' and coaches' interviews before game weekend, but also the interviews of the opposition team's players and coaches.

This week in particular, if you go to the pats website and listen to all of their interviews, you'll notice each and every player and coach is able to name almost every colt player they'll go against and their tendencies (not that they reveal much) - speaks to me a lot about their attention to detail, they do this each and every week, and they talk about even fringe players.

Admirable.

Reason I'm bringing this up is: can someone who's played or coached football at any level shed some light as to - and I know a lot of our forum members have experience in this - what exactly goes on in player meetings during the week and am I being presumptuous in thinking that our players don't or aren't able to do the same thing? Not that this has to be indicative of anything of course.

Obviously this is the NFL and every team is well prepared and well-coached and that's why they get paid the way they do but..

So I have the habit of not only watching the Colts players' and coaches' interviews before game weekend, but also the interviews of the opposition team's players and coaches.

This week in particular, if you go to the pats website and listen to all of their interviews, you'll notice each and every player and coach is able to name almost every colt player they'll go against and their tendencies (not that they reveal much) - speaks to me a lot about their attention to detail, they do this each and every week, and they talk about even fringe players.

Admirable.

Reason I'm bringing this up is: can someone who's played or coached football at any level shed some light as to - and I know a lot of our forum members have experience in this - what exactly goes on in player meetings during the week and am I being presumptuous in thinking that our players don't or aren't able to do the same thing? Not that this has to be indicative of anything of course.

Obviously this is the NFL and every team is well prepared and well-coached and that's why they get paid the way they do but..

From what I understand, it's just a lot of film study.  You watch as a unit (eg. offense or defense), then you also watch with your positional unit (eg. DBs, WRs, etc.).  You can also watch it on your own or with another group, like WRs with QBs.  You watch your own film from the last week to see what you did well or poorly, then watch film of the upcoming opponent.  Our players are doing the same thing.  The difference comes in how focused you are when you watch film (for example, Seattle claims that's a big reason for their defensive success), and how you design and implement your game plan against what you've seen on film.  Good attention to detail (eg. this offensive tackle has his heel up on pass plays, but down on run plays; this WR pulls his gloves when he comes to the line on a play where he's the primary target) is what can put you over the top

From what I understand, it's just a lot of film study.  You watch as a unit (eg. offense or defense), then you also watch with your positional unit (eg. DBs, WRs, etc.).  You can also watch it on your own or with another group, like WRs with QBs.  You watch your own film from the last week to see what you did well or poorly, then watch film of the upcoming opponent.  Our players are doing the same thing.  The difference comes in how focused you are when you watch film (for example, Seattle claims that's a big reason for their defensive success), and how you design and implement your game plan against what you've seen on film.  Good attention to detail (eg. this offensive tackle has his heel up on pass plays, but down on run plays; this WR pulls his gloves when he comes to the line on a play where he's the primary target) is what can put you over the top

I thought their secret was adderall? :)

Admirable.

I'll use an old soccer coach of mine's rhetoric to explain.  

"At this level everyone has played the game for years and knows the exact same things everyone else knows, or else they wouldn't be at this level.  The factor that sets players apart from others is the mind.  Do they know how to take advantages and mask weakness'?  It no longer becomes who is the better athlete but who is the better strategist and quicker thinker. You have to be creative, smart, and most of all confident."

I feel like that applies too all sports even football. 

I read that the pats line the defense or offence for different formation's their next opponent use, so they can actually feel ( I don't know

if feel is the right word) and see the formations on the field.

I don't know if other teams do the same thing.

yes that's team period where 1st defense goes against PS OFFENSE AND vice versa