Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Crossing the border into NY from Canada to see the Colts?

DalTXColtsFan

I'm on a business trip to Mississauga Ontario Canada over the weekend.  According to Google maps my hotel is a 2-hour drive from the stadium.  I'm giving serious thought to going to the game.

It looks like I'll be taking the Queen Elizabeth Way to the Buffalo & Port Erie public bridge, then taking I-190, I-90, 197 and Abbot Rd to the stadium.

Thoughts?  If I leave my hotel in Mississauga at 9am will I realistically make it to my seat in time for the 1pm kickoff?

Cool Reality. Are you saying that if you leave at 9am from Toronto you expect to get to the game on time?

Probably. It's about a 1.5 hour drive to Buffalo with no bad traffic and not a horrible border crossing wait time. Add 20 minutes to get to Orchard Park specifically and it's about a 2 hour drive, I just like to have extra time to cushion traffic, border security etc. 9 should leave you with lots of time.

Hey, Im in Mississauga as well lol. And yeah leaving at 9 you should be good. I'm gonna leave at 9 30.

Do you ever go to the Buffalo Wild Wings near Winston Churchill and Argentia to watch games?  I was just there with some coworkers tonight watching Steelers/Patriots.  Planning to be there for Colts/Jets next Monday night too.

Crossing from Niagara Falls might be quicker.

You think so?  Port Erie seems shorter - it is because we can pick up I-190 near Niagara?

Do you ever go to the Buffalo Wild Wings near Winston Churchill and Argentia to watch games?  I was just there with some coworkers tonight watching Steelers/Patriots.  Planning to be there for Colts/Jets next Monday night too.

Haven't been to that Wild Wings in a while. Usually go to the Boston Pizza on Eglinton. But from what I can remember from being there, it was decent. Now is the best time to go out to watch games as Hockey season hasn't started yet. 

Do you ever go to the Buffalo Wild Wings near Winston Churchill and Argentia to watch games? I was just there with some coworkers tonight watching Steelers/Patriots. Planning to be there for Colts/Jets next Monday night too.

You think so? Port Erie seems shorter - it is because we can pick up I-190 near Niagara?

I have not crossed at Port Erie, but when I drove by it on the Buffalo side it looked very, very busy. My understanding is that it's one of the busier border crossings. I crosssed from downtown Niagara last year and there were hardly any cars. Smooth sailing.

9am is too late, IMO.  It's Fort Erie, not Port Erie.  Fort Erie is one of the busiest border crossings into the United States.  I wouldn't go there.  You should take the QEW, which is sometimes also a bear, to the Rainbow Bridge crossing at Niagara Falls.  The bridge crossing there is a tourist crossing point, but tourists usually aren't leaving the falls that early on a Sunday.  Most Canadian Bills fans  cross there to come to the games.  So usually, but not always, the wait is about 10 minutes or so.  Then take the Robert Moses Parkway to the 190 then 90, to Orchard Park.  The stadium lots will be full by 11:30.  It's probably the best tailgating in the NFL or certainly top 3.  Meaning, you'll most likely be parking in someone's yard a little ways from the stadium and walking about 20 minutes.  Leave 10 minutes to get in the gates. 

I would easily leave no later at 8am, and be a little bit early than get stuck with whoever is getting there at the last minute.  Those are the people that go to events late, and expect everything to go smooth and then + about it when it doesn't.  8:30 at the latest.  Coming from Canada is sometimes a pain because of all the unknowns that can happen.