Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Change one play in colts history

CR91

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tumblr_inline_n1hn46leS61rkq1nw.gif

And the crowd goes wild with approval & jubilation...

The decision to sit Peyton and insert Painter against the Jets

I'd almost forgotten about that until you mentioned it FFW. An excellent choice BTW. 

The hit is very much reminiscent of how the Saints beat up Favre (simultaneously high and low pushing the envelope of a second later than the whistle). No co-incidence it was the same DC Gregg Williams.

Yeah Chad, as much as I criticize Favre, I have a ton of respect for the brutal smack down he took in the 2009 NFC Championship which #4 darn near won. Bogie & Bloody Champ should appreciate that.  

Super Bowl III Unitas has a guy wide open ion the end zone and he is waving his arms trying to get Unitas's attention but Unitas never saw him. Worst game of my life.

It was Earl Morrall who didn't (so he said) see Jimmy Orr.  In later years there are those who say he saw him, but the gamblers had the fix in.

It will always be the onside kick for me. I believe in momentum and New Orleans got all of it in their favor after that.

Actually I think the momentum shifted after Garcon's horrible drop on 3rd down late in the second quarter. Not only does that continue our drive he could have possibly scored on it...and it was right in his gut....it was a horrible drop...that sticks with you. Looking on that play it seemed like we never got our mojo back and was pinned back trying to run and played on our heels after that the rest of the game.

There are so many obviously...anything happening in that SB because well thats the SB. Freeney being hurt on the last play the week before, the dropped pass, the onside kick, the telegraphed interception. Heck it could have just been a 3rd down sack during the game that could have changed soo much.

Ben tackling Harper was huge though....the whole field to score with and he runs right into Ben....just terrible. We didn't deserve to win that game but that was by far our most talented Colts team we've had here in Indy.

3 that stick out

I wasn't alive at the time, but the 1965 western playoff between the Colts and Packers, there was a late field goal that helped the packers tie it that was no good but because the low posts and no video replay the Colts didn't get to play in the last NFL championship before the Super Bowl

January 1996, hail-mary play against the hated Steelers, Phil Simms yelling out he caught it was the biggest tease of my sports life.

2011,Jim Caldwell calling time-out in the wildcard against the Jets

Actually I think the momentum shifted after Garcon's horrible drop on 3rd down late in the second quarter. Not only does that continue our drive he could have possibly scored on it...and it was right in his gut....it was a horrible drop...that sticks with you. Looking on that play it seemed like we never got our mojo back and was pinned back trying to run and played on our heels after that the rest of the game.

There are so many obviously...anything happening in that SB because well thats the SB. Freeney being hurt on the last play the week before, the dropped pass, the onside kick, the telegraphed interception. Heck it could have just been a 3rd down sack during the game that could have changed soo much.

Ben tackling Harper was huge though....the whole field to score with and he runs right into Ben....just terrible. We didn't deserve to win that game but that was by far our most talented Colts team we've had here in Indy.

Forgotten play and possibly the most costly. You are correct. I actually thought it at the time.

3 that stick out

I wasn't alive at the time, but the 1965 western playoff between the Colts and Packers, there was a late field goal that helped the packers tie it that was no good but because the low posts and no video replay the Colts didn't get to play in the last NFL championship before the Super Bowl

January 1996, hail-mary play against the hated Steelers, Phil Simms yelling out he caught it was the biggest tease of my sports life.

2011,Jim Caldwell calling time-out in the wildcard against the Jets

Good ones. Not only those that saw the '65 game knew immediately that the Packer FG was no good.

Still remember the second I also thought the '96 drop by Bailey was a catch for a second.

2011 Caldwell timeout was the only time I have ever seen Peyton stand up and basically say wth about a coach's decision.

That. I'd change that

I agree with what you said later and yes this play was terrible.

Some other plays I'd like to have back:

-- Because Reggie Wayne would be a sure fire HOFer if he was healthy all of the past 2 seasons -- now he definitely has a shot but is kind of on the bubble.

I can't find a video clip, but also Marvin and Edge's injuries.  Marvin was the fastest WR ever to very many milestones -- who knows if he didn't get hurt what sort of numbers he would have put up over the remainder of his career.  Hard to say he would have surpassed Jerry Rice, but it definitely would not have been impossible.  Edge was also the fastest to many milestones.  IMO, both Edge and Marv should both have been first-ballot HOFers -- had they not gotten injured (and Marv not gotten the legal things), I think they both would have been sure shots to be first-ballot.  I also wonder what our team would have been like had the triplets been able to stay together longer.

This is EASY for me.. The Super Bowl onside kick. Change that to recovering it and we have 2 Super Bowls and Manning's entire legacy changes. Other considerations would be:

-08 Playoff loss at SD- changing the coin toss! lol

-05 Playoff loss to Pitt- Nick Harper not getting stabbed the night before

-03 home reg season game against NE- Willie McGinnist not faking the injury and making a game saving tackle that made us play the AFCCG in NE instead of at home. 

-10 Playoff loss to Jets- Caldwell not going full R-word and calling a timeout at the end of the game to allow for the deep bomb to Braylon Edwards(?) I believe it was