Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You guys would know a lot more than me but I just hear people ranting and raving about him all day on 1070 The fan, and Sirius XM NFL chan. Seems like many people make it sound like he's a top tier pass rusher.

On the NFL chan on the way back from work they said he's been getting calls from teams still picking low in the first, Colts possibly one of them, lol???? No clue.

If you read the Indy Star today, you can read an article which says Grigson will not consider Ray or Gregory. He is quoted as saying he does not take players with character red flags until after the fourth rounds. He considers players in those rounds as ones you need to hit on and he does not want to take a chance on character concerns, so with his toe, marijuana and now in the NFL testing program, and his poor pro day, I don't think you have to worry, unless he slips to the 5th round. :thmup:

<iframe width="675" height="550" src="http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253743&gif=PiercingHighlevelHypacrosaurus"frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Shane Ray Holding the edge forcing the running back inside for minimal gain

When he does struggle against the run its not because of strength its because he rushes to the inside a lot...Predictable....Correctable and well worth correcting at such a young age

I don't think we touch him in the 1st if he falls to us which Im fine with because we can get good pass rush prospects late in the draft probably....many of which have brought up on this board....Bu if he somehow falls as far as some predict...4th-5th round then I'd be all over it (Though I don't see that happening)

<iframe width="675" height="550" src="http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253743&gif=PiercingHighlevelHypacrosaurus"frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Shane Ray Holding the edge forcing the running back inside for minimal gain

When he does struggle against the run its not because of strength its because he rushes to the inside a lot...Predictable....Correctable and well worth correcting at such a young age

I don't think we touch him in the 1st if he falls to us which Im fine with because we can get good pass rush prospects late in the draft probably....many of which have brought up on this board....Bu if he somehow falls as far as some predict...4th-5th round then I'd be all over it (Though I don't see that happening)

Are you sure that's the right clip? He literally just got shoved out of the play by the TE. Ray did absolutely nothing there. The MIKE was unblocked in that play and had the guard went up and grabbed him, that play goes for 5+ easily.

Are you sure that's the right clip? He literally just got shoved out of the play by the TE. Ray did absolutely nothing there. The MIKE was unblocked in that play and had the guard went up and grabbed him, that play goes for 5+ easily.

Actually your right I think. At first glance it looked like to me Ray was holding the edge on that play forcing the rb to have to keep the ball inside, Though the TE clearly had a good blocking angle on him and it does look like Ray was trying to dislodge himself, So I can see that

Actually your right I think. At first glance it looked like to me Ray was holding the edge on that play forcing the rb to have to keep the ball inside, Though the TE clearly had a good blocking angle on him and it does look like Ray was trying to dislodge himself, So I can see that

Had the guard not doubled down on that TE and cause the TE to get off balance, that TE would have had Ray pretty much on the sidelines. Ray read the play right however his technique was bad, and he had ZERO leverage as he was basically standing straight up moving down the line. The TE easily got underneath him and just moved him out of the play.

This is why I don't believe Ray is any more than a 3rd or 4th round talent. He's EXACTLY like Jonathan Newsome. His strength to play the run just isn't there. I think he'll be a decent pass rusher, but he's going to have to develop a lot more to get there. The best thing for him would be to fall in the draft, land a decent role as a pure pass rusher (Mathis/Newsome), develop, and in year 3/4 show everyone he can be the guy (Mathis).

Had the guard not doubled down on that TE and cause the TE to get off balance, that TE would have had Ray pretty much on the sidelines. Ray read the play right however his technique was bad, and he had ZERO leverage as he was basically standing straight up moving down the line. The TE easily got underneath him and just moved him out of the play.

This is why I don't believe Ray is any more than a 3rd or 4th round talent. He's EXACTLY like Jonathan Newsome. His strength to play the run just isn't there. I think he'll be a decent pass rusher, but he's going to have to develop a lot more to get there. The best thing for him would be to fall in the draft, land a decent role as a pure pass rusher (Mathis/Newsome), develop, and in year 3/4 show everyone he can be the guy (Mathis).

Well I think he clearly has first round acceleration off the snap, 3rd-4th round strength, I thought Jerry Hughes was a 2nd round pick because of how raw he was but he also had elite acceleration off the snap, He just had to get stronger but Ray has better instincts then Hughes did coming out and is a better tackler, Both just lacked the strength and pass rush repertoire, Ill say top of 2nd no later for Ray, I just cant imagine him as a 4th round talent given that acceleration and production plus flashes of ability to play the run well