Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock Draft to Start the Weekend

A couple of thoughts as I developed my mock draft:

(1) I hope that we do not give up on Bjoern Werner. He improved dramatically in his second season from his rookie year, and I expect further improvement next season. I like our OLBs with Cole, Mathis, Walden, Werner, and Newsome. I do not feel compelled to draft a pass rusher.

(2) I am also a big fan of Zurlon Tipton. I really liked what I saw at the end of the year, and I am glad he got a taste of NFL football. He reminds me a lot of Arian Foster. Foster never touched the ball his rookie year. I have no problem drafting a running back, just not early.

(3) We need secondary help. Depth is a concern as well as talent. I would try to focus on attaining talent via the draft in part due to the larger contracts doled out in free agency. When Buster Skrine is getting insane money from the Jets to be a nickel corner, it's a tough market.

(4) I am not all that high on the offensive line talent in this draft. I don't mind adding depth in the middle rounds, but I would be very hesitant to use a high pick on an offensive lineman this year.

(5) The 2016 NFL Draft is shaping up to be a really good draft. More talent than this year. If there is an opportunity to trade back and pick up an extra pick next year, I would be game.

2015 NFL Mock Draft

(1) Marcus Peters CB Washington - 6'0 197 lbs

I may be setting myself up for disappointment here as I really hope we can get this guy. I am optimistic he will be available, but we'll see. Good size, physical, press corner, very tough. Great complement to Vontae Davis, and an upgrade to Greg Toler. Most importantly, I feel the Colts' locker room and organization as a whole is a good fit for him, and will help him with any issues moving forward. Vontae Davis had issues in Miami that led to him being traded, and he got his act together with the Colts. I foresee the same outcome with Peters.

(2) Michael Bennett DT Ohio State - 6'2" 293 lbs

Bennett reminds me of Tim Jernigan of Florida State, who the Ravens took last year in the 2nd round. Talented tackle who improves our defensive line rotation, adds some pop to the pass rush from the line. Long arms, great hand usage, good athleticism (4.98 forty). Great leader. Hopefully he will be available in the 2nd round.

(3) Ifo Ekpre-Olomu CB Oregon - 5'9" 195 lbs

Great value in the 3rd round, could be the steal of the draft. This pick is dependent on his knee checking out ok, which seems to be the case. With Toler in the last year of his deal and CB depth a concern Ifo is a nice addition who will not be rushed into action. Very fast and very aggressive. Not afraid to tackle.

(4) Jarvis Harrison OG Texas A&M - 6'4" 330 lbs

Harrison fits what we seem to look for in offensive linemen, he is versatile. He has played all over the offensive line for the Aggies. He will offer improved depth on the interior of the line. Herremans and Mewhort both missed time with injuries last season. He could then battle for a starting role next season.

(5) Joey Mbu NT Houston - 6'3" 313 lbs

I like this guy. He may need a year of seasoning, but is a competitor. He plays hard. Offers a little more pass rush from the NT. Leader.

(6) Josh Robinson RB Mississippi State - 5'8" 220 lbs

I really liked this guy at Mississippi State. We could benefit from him running his forty in the 4.6 range. He reminds me of Branden Oliver from the Chargers last season. Robinson could be a tremendous backup this season.

(6) Greg Mancz C Toledo - 6'4" 300 lbs

Second team All American and first team All MAC. He has played all over the line for Toledo, starting his entire four year career. He may need a year to develop, but he could challenge for the starting center job within a year. Holmes has been injury prone and Harrison has been mistake prone thus far. It may be worth a 6th round pick to add more talent into the fray.

(7) Junior Sylvestre S Toledo - 6'0" 220 lbs

Back to Toledo. This is more of a projection pick. Sylvestre played linebacker in college but would be better served at safety in the pros. He was first team all MAC the last two seasons. He ran a 4.49 forty.

(7) Terrell Watson RB Asuza Pacific - 6'2" 240 lbs

Incredibly productive running back albeit at a lower level of competition. 63 touchdowns over the last 3 seasons. Tremendous size and potential. Ran his forty in the 4.5 range. He has potential. Give him a year on the practice squad and you may have something next year.

I really like it and someone see's the importance of getting the backend squared away. We don't want to be searching for a CB on the free agent market next offseason that will be insanely expensive. We have to come away with Toler's replacement. The idea of Peters and Davis on the outside is very appealing to me.

I would have liked to see an OT in there somewhere. That is the other spot we have to look ahead at. Regardless of Cherilus this year we need that money off the books next year.

I think we need to add a S earlier than the 7th. I like the direction and the players.

One of my favorites, very well done

I am assuming you are a Bama fan from your handle.

What do you think about Nick Perry? The more tape I watch the more I think the kid is being overlooked and can play. The knock on him is his speed but I don't see it. He seems like he would be a steal in the 7th. He wasn't even invited to the combine. Am I missing something?

I will admit I haven't watched a lot of tape on the guy and he wasn't who I was focused on but he jumped out on a couple of plays.

I like it, Manning 1887.

I really like it and someone see's the importance of getting the backend squared away. We don't want to be searching for a CB on the free agent market next offseason that will be insanely expensive. We have to come away with Toler's replacement. The idea of Peters and Davis on the outside is very appealing to me.

I would have liked to see an OT in there somewhere. That is the other spot we have to look ahead at. Regardless of Cherilus this year we need that money off the books next year.

I think we need to add a S earlier than the 7th. I like the direction and the players.

We are on the exact same page here.  CB and RT is going to be very expensive to fill via free agency, at least for good talent, which you need at both positions...and completely agree that Cherilus money needs to be used elsewhere.

Also, I am becoming a Nick Perry fan as a 7th rounder or UDFA...another guy I just read about yesterday (and noticed earlier that SDakColts mentioned him too) is Tra'Mayne Bondurant from Arizona.  He put up good numbers, pretty impressive numbers really from what I see, but did have what appears to be some maturity issues before this last season...however, it appears he has gotten his shtuff together recently...food for thought!

I really like the first 6 picks in this draft. I am still not sure that Michael Bennett is a fit for our scheme but could be a great pick up. I definitely love Ifo Ekpre-Olomu he could play safety or Nickle corner and is a really good cover corner and great tackler. He plays bigger then he is. I really enjoyed this draft!

At least I got the Josh Robinson pick correct! I am stoked we took him, I think he can surprise.

I am also glad we signed Junior Sylvestre as a UDFA. I hope we can give him a year to learn the safety position.

In hindsight, I am really  surprised that Michael Bennett lasted until the 6th round. Mbu went undrafted. I didn't realize the extent of the concern over the Ekpre-Olomu injury.

Harrison was there in the 5th round. I think he will prove to be a steal in the 5th. He will be a quality guard for the Jets. Great pick.

I haven't seen anything about where Terrell Watson ended up.

I really liked Marcus Peters. I thought the Ravens were the team we would have to move in front of, if we wanted him. The Chiefs got him instead. I am still really pleased (and surprised) with the Dorsett pick. I think he will be a great wide receiver.