Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ron parker gets overpaid

12isthenew18

Yes....I know that.

But he clearly wasn't happy getting slapped with the franchise tag.

And what does this leave the Chiefs cap-wise? Could they match an offer sheet?

Because OTC shows them approximately 800k under the cap now.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

They could match an offer sheet if the first year of guaranteed money was under 10 million or so. They would be able to free up the 13 + million the tag is worth. Who is gonna give up the two firsts though?

They could match an offer sheet if the first year of guaranteed money was under 10 million or so. They would be able to free up the 13 + million the tag is worth. Who is gonna give up the two firsts though?

Well...I guess according to league rules, if an offer sheet is tendered on Draft Day...then the two first rounders can be charged against the 2016 and 2017 drafts.

IMO....he's worth two 1st rounders...but Grigson has already gone another route at OLB with Trent Cole, and that's fine.

I wouldn't rule out someone else taking a stab at him though.

The Chargers maybe? The got cap space left and Freeney is near the end. :dunno:

It's actually five years, $25m, with incentives that can take it to $30m. 

Still more than I would have wanted him for. I really didn't want him, to be honest.

I guess he allowed a 93.0 passer rating with 22 missed tackles in 2014, per PFF...so that is quite pricey.

A sidebar question.....

With the Chiefs down to 800k under the cap, according to OTC, could another team effectively "poison pill" an offer sheet to Justin Houston in the form of a bonus structure that KC has now perhaps spent themselves beyond?

I guess he allowed a 93.0 passer rating with 22 missed tackles in 2014, per PFF...so that is quite pricey.

A sidebar question.....

With the Chiefs down to 800k under the cap, according to OTC, could another team effectively "poison pill" an offer sheet to Justin Houston in the form of a bonus structure that KC has now perhaps spent themselves beyond?

Yes, the potential exists. 

They just reworked Ben Grubbs' contract, presumably reducing his 2015 cap hit. They just signed Jason Avant. They have several other contracts they can adjust, and even some potential cuts they could make. Alex Smith has a base salary of $11.9m, which could easily be reduced with a restructure/extension. Eric Berry has a high cap hit, and I'm not sure what his status is at this point. 

They're somewhere around $3m under the cap right now, best guess, until we see terms on Grubbs, Avant, Fanaika, etc.. That's with $13m for Houston. So if you want him, you probably have to work out a 2015 cap hit of more than $20m. Or KC has to be willing to let him go in exchange for the two first rounders. If they want him, I think they can keep him. But they've already spent a lot of cash.