Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nick Fairley is probably about to sign with the Rams.

Yeah, I'm beefing with Grigson now. Knighton for $4m, Fairley for $5m...? And we sign Kendall Langford for four years? I don't get that.

Might not have had a shot at either of them. But I'm irritated. So is Arthur Jones.

I don't mind the Langford or Cole signing, Im upset with the terms also.  I like have Andre Johnson as well but I really don't feel we needed him.  After signing Carter, I think we had enough good WR's.  We've went back and forth on it before, but I just don't see how a #4 WR can be very productive.  Therefore we don't need to overspend (on a position that isn't a BIG NEED like NT is).  Granted Carter was cheap, but If he was our #3 WR he would definitely outplay his contract in terms of value. 

That being said, the biggest offseason issue we needed to address was stopping the run.  Langford is the only guy we brought in to do that.  While Grigson is throwing around money to veterans, he didn't throw money to a talented NT.  Personally, I wanted Knighton or Hardy (Greg is still a ? tho).  Suh is way to expensive.  I think Fairley isn't as good as what most people think.  Mostly because his successes had a lot to do with playing next to Suh.  Wilfork, well he is getting pretty old, and I would rather have somebody younger. 

Cole got 6 Mil/yr and Johnson got 7/yr?  That's the problem I have.  Both will be making more than what Fairley and Knighton got.  I understand that different positions market a higher salary, but as the old saying goes you must serve your needs before your wants!

I'm trying to stay positive though.  Look on the Brightside, we have all our picks in the draft, and we can get a good NT in the draft (if we put our needs before wants) and pick one first.  I know you disagree with that strategy, because of BPA, but at this point we MUST do something to stop the run!

I don't mind the Langford or Cole signing, Im upset with the terms also.  I like have Andre Johnson as well but I really don't feel we needed him.  After signing Carter, I think we had enough good WR's.  We've went back and forth on it before, but I just don't see how a #4 WR can be very productive.  Therefore we don't need to overspend (on a position that isn't a BIG NEED like NT is).  Granted Carter was cheap, but If he was our #3 WR he would definitely outplay his contract in terms of value. 

That being said, the biggest offseason issue we needed to address was stopping the run.  Langford is the only guy we brought in to do that.  While Grigson is throwing around money to veterans, he didn't throw money to a talented NT.  Personally, I wanted Knighton or Hardy (Greg is still a ? tho).  Suh is way to expensive.  I think Fairley isn't as good as what most people think.  Mostly because his successes had a lot to do with playing next to Suh.  Wilfork, well he is getting pretty old, and I would rather have somebody younger. 

Cole got 6 Mil/yr and Johnson got 7/yr?  That's the problem I have.  Both will be making more than what Fairley and Knighton got.  I understand that different positions market a higher salary, but as the old saying goes you must serve your needs before your wants!

I'm trying to stay positive though.  Look on the Brightside, we have all our picks in the draft, and we can get a good NT in the draft (if we put our needs before wants) and pick one first.  I know you disagree with that strategy, because of BPA, but at this point we MUST do something to stop the run!

I think we're fine at NT. Chapman is good, but played too many snaps last year. When we did get run on, it wasn't because of Chapman. Especially in the Pats games. And we have Jones and Hughes who can take NT snaps, and there are some draft prospects who can take NT snaps. So I never thought we should throw money at a NT. Dan Williams was the only one really available in free agency, and I think he's a little overrated.

And I don't think Carter would have been an acceptable #3. I'm glad we signed Johnson. WR was a bigger need, IMO, than NT.

I think we're fine at NT. Chapman is good, but played too many snaps last year. When we did get run on, it wasn't because of Chapman. Especially in the Pats games. And we have Jones and Hughes who can take NT snaps, and there are some draft prospects who can take NT snaps. So I never thought we should throw money at a NT. Dan Williams was the only one really available in free agency, and I think he's a little overrated.

And I don't think Carter would have been an acceptable #3. I'm glad we signed Johnson. WR was a bigger need, IMO, than NT.

I do think this season could be a breakout year for Chapman.  I've been impressed with him this far in his career, but now it's time to make a bigger step.

I think Johnson will have a huge influence on the maturation process of Moncrief and Carter.  When it's time for AJ to hang em up, both of those receivers should be ready to roll along side of TY.  Those 3 in their prime (also Fleener and Allen) with Luck throwing to them... I feel sorry for the D-Coordinators that will be losing sleep over them!