Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Many Years Left On Brackett Contract

Case

Just wondering how many years he has left on his contract. Do you think he will be let go if this is last year in contract? Or do colts deal him because of great play by other backers. Or keep him do we can have depth. I would like to keep him. Just want other peoples OPINIONS.

He will probably be a cap casualty if the cap penalty is not bad. Angerer has been a beast at the MLB and I just do not see pushing him back to the outside where he has not be as effective.

Angerer is cheap, younger, and has been really effective at MLB. That does not bode well for Brackett's continue presence here.

I love Brackett....and I hope he stays...but Angerer says he's not confident playing outside LB...

..and we his need speed.. in the middle......and you cant argue with his play...

Can you financially keep them both in case one is injured?

Ideally, Gary would restructure and stay. How does everyone think he would do on the outside? Maybe a WLB?

I could see him at Will, especially in the 4-3 Under, where it's very similar to a nickel defense, where the mike and will are essentially both Mike linebackers, and the SAM is on the LOS... but in a more standard 4-3 Cover 2, possibly at Will, maybe better at Sam? If he could play outside, or the scheme changed, I would advocate a resign if it was reasonable price wise..

In a more standard 4-3 Cover 2.. which the Colts should shift to after this season as a minimum change.. the Will covers Slot WR's and RB's..where the Sam covers TE's and RB's.... I think I would rather Brackett play Sam in a more standard Cover Two..like Chicago's or Detroit's.

BASE SALARY S. BONUS MISC. BONUS CAP HIT
2010 800,000 2,400,000 - 3,200,000
2011 2,000,000 2,400,000 - 4,400,000
2012 5,000,000 2,400,000 - 7,400,000
2013 6,600,000 2,400,000 - 9,000,000
2014 6,600,000 2,400,000 - 9,000,000

For 2012, cutting him this offseason he would cost 7.2 in a dead cap space hit.

For 2012 letting him remain on the roster is a cap hit of 7.4.

Cutting him after 2012 would be a 4.8 dead cap hit compared to a 9.0 cap hit if he plays.

For 2012, cutting him this offseason he would cost 7.2 in a dead cap space hit.

For 2012 letting him remain on the roster is a cap hit of 7.4.

Cutting him after 2012 would be a 4.8 dead cap hit compared to a 9.0 cap hit if he plays.

This is exactlly why I said trade him, even if he brings the Colts a kicking tee back, at least that cap hit is gone! rotfl

But if he is going to play next season 2012, then he will need to be on the outside, Will if its a 4-3 Under look, and Sam if its a more standard Cover 2...

This is exactlly why I said trade him, even if he brings the Colts a kicking tee back, at least that cap hit is gone! rotfl

But if he is going to play next season 2012, then he will need to be on the outside, Will if its a 4-3 Under look, and Sam if its a more standard Cover 2...

It is only saving 200k if we were to cut/trade him before the 2012 season. His replacement would be more than that if he were a off the street rookie. Now after this season I can see a true savings.

In a more standard 4-3 Cover 2.. which the Colts should shift to after this season as a minimum change.. the Will covers Slot WR's and RB's..where the Sam covers TE's and RB's.... I think I would rather Brackett play Sam in a more standard Cover Two..like Chicago's or Detroit's.

So you see a possibility of Brackett playing the SAM...(is that the short side of the field)..LB?

with Angerer..younger and faster....the WILL on the wide side?

Define WILL and SAM as it would apply here...if you could please.

It is only saving 200k if we were to cut/trade him before the 2012 season. His replacement would be more than that if he were a off the street rookie. Now after this season I can see a true savings.

I miss read then. because I thought that was cut/released, and on the roster... didn't know that included a trade... why would a trade result in a cap hit?

So you see a possibility of Brackett playing the SAM...(is that the short side of the field)..LB?

with Angerer..younger and faster....the WILL on the wide side?

Define WILL and SAM as it would apply here...if you could please.

It would depend on the formation to relegate linebacker duties. In any 4-3 scheme, there are three linebackers, will (weakside) mike (middle) sam (strong side).. The SAM linebacker lines up on the side along the tightend, the weakside is on the opposite side. So the duties of the Sam are to run downhill and defend against the run, and cover the tightend in coverage. The weakside has the slot receiver and the running back in coverage on the opposite side. Now in a stnadard Cover 2 like Chicago's... Gary would be better suited to play SAM, as he is a better run defender and the little coverage duties he would have would be on a tightend.. and the Colts could draft a good Will linebacker who is fast and explosive. In the 4-3 Under which I also want the Colts to run, the Will and Mike are essentially the same position, so Brackett could play the Will, because its Mike linebacker duties just on opposite sides, think of a nickel defense..usually only two linebackers, that's what the 4-3 Under is like. Except the SAM is on the line of scrimage like an additional DE, so it would look like a 5-2 Front, but this linebacker has to be a superb athlete, because he blitzes, has coverage duties on the tightend, and supports against the run. So Gary could play a combination of Sam and Will, it just depends on the formation...

I miss read then. because I thought that was cut/released, and on the roster... didn't know that included a trade... why would a trade result in a cap hit?

If you look at the 2nd column. That is the signing bonus being prorated over his contract. So at this point 4.8 of it has been used(2.4 in 2010, 2.4 this season). Heading into this coming season there are 3 years (2.4x3) a total of 7.2 that has not been allotted. If he were cut, or traded, those funds accelerate into the current year. Which is why Manning, if he does not have his option bonus picked up will count 16 million against the cap, but we are currently carrying in our 2011 cap 5.6 million of his yet to be paid option bonus, and if he were to be released that 5.6 million would be counted as a credit for 2012, thus making his dad cap space hit equal to 16 million - 5.6 million or 10.4 million.

I could have worded it better... On the roster vs. off the roster...

It would depend on the formation to relegate linebacker duties. In any 4-3 scheme, there are three linebackers, will (weakside) mike (middle) sam (strong side).. The SAM linebacker lines up on the side along the tightend, the weakside is on the opposite side. So the duties of the Sam are to run downhill and defend against the run, and cover the tightend in coverage. The weakside has the slot receiver and the running back in coverage on the opposite side. Now in a stnadard Cover 2 like Chicago's... Gary would be better suited to play SAM, as he is a better run defender and the little coverage duties he would have would be on a tightend.. and the Colts could draft a good Will linebacker who is fast and explosive. In the 4-3 Under which I also want the Colts to run, the Will and Mike are essentially the same position, so Brackett could play the Will, because its Mike linebacker duties just on opposite sides, think of a nickel defense..usually only two linebackers, that's what the 4-3 Under is like. Except the SAM is on the line of scrimage like an additional DE, so it would look like a 5-2 Front, but this linebacker has to be a superb athlete, because he blitzes, has coverage duties on the tightend, and supports against the run. So Gary could play a combination of Sam and Will, it just depends on the formation...

Thank you..that's very interesting....

so Pat Angerer actually can play SAM, WILL or MIKE....because he's fast and a good tackler......

while Bracket or Ray Lewis..due to age...would be better suited for the SAM...

..and New England's success is that it gets a 2 tall tight end mismatch on SAM...or a slow or small WILL right?

...Will what New England is doing with twin tower pass catching tight ends make the Cover 2 obsolete...?

Thank you..that's very interesting....

so Pat Angerer actually can play SAM, WILL or MIKE....because he's fast and a good tackler......

while Bracket or Ray Lewis..due to age...would be better suited for the SAM...

..and New England's success is that it gets a 2 tall tight end mismatch on SAM...or a slow or small WILL right?

...Will what New England is doing with twin tower pass catching tight ends make the Cover 2 obsolete...?

Pat is best suited for Mike, problem is I think he lacks that real punch of a Mike, hopefully he can develop to play Will.

Ray Lewis is different because of the 3-4 using two inside linebackers, but Brackett would be better suited for Sam in the Cover 2.

Yes about the mismatch with New England, but wrong linebacker, its typically on the SAM linebacker in the 4-3.