Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Smart Teams are looking North to the CFL

Posted below is a link to a really good article on OTC. I really enjoy reading their stories like this. The story says more teams are looking at the CFL since the NFL has evolved into such a passing lead, and other factors have made CFL players more desirable to the NFL for roster spots. He talks about Indianapolis and Duron Carter, gives a very good assessment of his talents, and also talks about the Ben Heenan signing and his talent. It is a very interesting read because it is from an agent to be angle, and talks about why the CFL is becoming a good place to look for low cost, good talent which can really develop into steals. Let me know what your thoughts are. I have to say when you read about Carter, you may come away thinking we really may have gotten quite a steal. I sure hope so, and Hennan looks good also. Fifteen teams were looking at Carter, and the best part as someone stated, it is like a draft pick but better due to the financial terms, even though we don't know what they are. It does talk about what Cameron Wake made at first, so maybe it is a place to start some comparison. Still really a good read!

http://overthecap.com/smart-teams-looking-north-cfl/

Something that makes me feel even better about the Carter and Heenan signings is that we got them when there were lots of interest from other team in both of them. Usually when 15 GM's (In Carter's case), are interested in a free agent from the CFL, that means there is something there. When there is no demand for a player, usually there's a reason. You always have to keep that in mind, especially for a minor league like the CFL. Anyways, reading this article makes me feel even better about having Grigson as GM with his ties to the CFL. There are so many gems that have succeeded from there, and he seems to have the inside scoop on the best and brightest from there. We are getting extra draft picks basically. I would of liked to get the CB that NO got from the CFL that stopped Carter, but we can't always get everyone. This can be our farm system like baseball if used properly, and it's a huge asset.

As with any process of finding players, looking to the CFL isn't perfect.  You'll have guys who turn out great, like Cam Wake.  But you'll also have guys who end up as duds, like Kenton Keith.  Smart teams look at all available options and find guys who fit their system and who their coaching staff can mold (it also helps having a coaching staff that can mold players).  But looking to the CFL doesn't make you a smart team.  Ignoring the CFL could make you a stupid team though