Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 Seahawks and the 1997 Packers

Synthetic

Remember when the Packers won that SB with Brett Favre?

Then the next year they plowed through most of the year, went back to the SB after creaming the 49ers and then they fell to the Broncos.

Seeing Seattle fall like that sorta reminded me of them. 

Colts fans will probably remember that year as they were the team that stopped GB's undefeated streak when they beat them in a shoot out 41-38. Also the Colts first win that year.

But if you look back at 1997, it seemed like all year long someone was going to rise up and stop the Packers. And that Packers team was great, Favre in his prime, MVP form, an old Reggie White, and Dorsey Levens who had a solid year at running back. Despite how good they were, they had obvious issues in the season on defense and their offense suffered from time to time. It was not uncommon for the Packers that year to have a game where they got sliced badly by the run. Carolina and Dallas ran all over them despite winning against those teams. 

Then they ran into into the Broncos who had the right formula to hurt them with Terrell Davis. But that SB was also entertaining cause it could have went both ways. GB got out coached , and had stopped running the ball when Levens was on fire. Denver just wanted it more.

The 2014 Seahawks remind me of this. Looking back, they were destined to run into a team that stopped them. They had issues in the regular season with teams that could punch it on their defense. 

Then in the playoffs, I feel as if the Packers should have beat them. 5 turnovers and you lose that game? Come on. 

New England wanted it more, and they were the team that ran into them ready to stop them. 

1997 all over again. 

I think it just also goes to show you tough it is to repeat. To have the same hunger in back to back years in today's league.

Although I think the 1997 Packers were better then this years Seahawks. Favre>>>>>>>Wilson, easily. Not even close.

Brady at his age though now can be compared to Elway. But, Brady had won them early on and Elway didn't. But, yeah an older QB winning it all is very rare too.