Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The best backup QB ever?

bap1331

Ive always without a doubt thought is Charlie Batch. He had everything to do with their championships especially when Big Ben went down on 2008 for a couple of weeks. He had to help the team stay in the race for the playoffs.

He was so clutch everytime he went in and I always thought the Steelers were selfish to not let him have an opportunity as a starter somewhere else. I always felt like he was wasting his time in Pittsburgh but I guess he didnt mind. lol. Maybe he didnt believe he would be successful as a starter

You've never heard of frank reich? He was jim kellys back ip for years and was the qb for one of the biggest comebacks in the history of the nfl

oh no. And I watched a lot of Kelly those years. However you're much more astute with facts than I am ;)

Batch is up there...and don't hate the Steelers for it. He wanted to be a backup those last few years.

Young also counts even though he was also a starter. He won a ton of games that nobody thought he would win, as a backup. Same can be said about Warner.

Frank Reich of course...probably my #1.

Doug Flutie?

Doug Williams?

Doug Funnie?

Batch is up there...and don't hate the Steelers for it. He wanted to be a backup those last few years.

Young also counts even though he was also a starter. He won a ton of games that nobody thought he would win, as a backup. Same can be said about Warner.

Frank Reich of course...probably my #1.

Doug Flutie?

Doug Williams?

Doug Funnie?

Flutie was supposed to be a starter. Not sure how long a back up because he was in CFL for awhile.

Doug Williams have no idea how long he was a back up. He did win a SB tho.

Flutie was supposed to be a starter. Not sure how long a back up because he was in CFL for awhile.

Doug Williams have no idea how long he was a back up. He did win a SB tho.

Flutie won a game or 2 every time he made it on the field, which wasn't just in NE and SD I'm pretty sure, but I could be wrong.

Steve Young turned into a Hall of Famer and was Joe Montana's back up. Either him or Johnny U when he was backing up Earl Morrall wins this IMO.  I'd probably have to go with Steve Young as he had not come into his prime yet when he was backing up Montana where as Johnny U was nearing the end of his career. 

Good old school call on Johnny U. His position as a backup counts as much as the others. Countless old quarterbacks have kept playing just to be a backup. There are probably more from other eras that belong on this list. Didn't the '72 win a ton of games with the backup?

If we are only talking about accomplishments as a backup QB, then it's hard to beat Jim Plunkett.  

Plunkett was the Raiders backup QB in 1980 when their starter went down midseason.  He guided the Raiders to a wildcard berth and four straight playoff victories culminating in the first ever Super Bowl victory by a wildcard team.  Plunkett was named the Super Bowl MVP.

Plunkett resumed the backup role in 1983 but once again took over after an injury to the starter and once again he led the Raiders to the playoffs and a Super Bowl victory as a backup QB.

You are our winner, 'J' and I think he's the only one to ever do that,

In a lot of respects, Colin Kaepernick led the 49ers TO the Super Bowl...but he (in Harbauigh's mind) was the better player

Brady and Warner also led their teams to superbowls as backups