Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dan Connolly?

I think Mewhort could be an excellent RT.  He and Castonzo would be a nice physical pair of tackles. That just leaves the mess on the interior.  Iupati would be a nice long term puzzle piece, but since the draft is so weak on the interior OL, what about a vet like Dan Connolly.  The Patriots always roll over us, and he always seems to make key blocks.  Do you think the Pats would let him go?  A quality Vet stop-gap might be in order until we can finally develope some youngsters.

Also curious about Orlando Franklin.  Not the greatest, but he would be a physical fill-in.

There is no chance SD lets King Dunlap go, but that would seem like a nice piece.

Connolly could be a guy for next season, yeah. He's not as good as a Mike Iupatti, but he's still a veteran player and he'll come with a smaller price tag. I'm starting to think Cherilus could be gone next season. If that's the case, then if we keep Mewhort at LG then we'll probably need to draft a RT in the first round in May. If we move Mewhort to RT, then we could draft a new G in round 2, but I also think we'd need to find a new backup tackle because Reitz and Nixon both appear to only be useful as guards. And I'd want a guy who had the athleticism to stand a fighting chance on the left side. Because can you imagine if Castonzo got injured? I don't know if Ulrick John might fit the bill, simply because I don't know enough about him.

If we do cut Cherilus I think a line of... Castanzo-Iupati-Holmes-Thomas/Thornton-Mewhort would be the way to go. I would let Thomas and Thornton battle it out for the RG spot, or possibly cut Thomas and sign a mid tier player such as Connolly. Thomas was solid last year in the couple games he played before the injury. Also I've heard the Saints may release one of those beast Guards they have, Grubbs and Evans. either one would be a nice addition.

I still like Daryl Williams out of Oklahoma.  He could shoot up to the first round like JaWuan James. 

Castonzo  Connolly  Holmes  Mewhort  Williams.

Mewhort would probably be better on the right side, and Williams could be a beast.    Shaq Mason in later rounds could be a nice depth pick at OG.  He is ultra-athletic.

The left side with Castonzo and Mewhort looked good why risking that by putting Mewhort to the right? It's like closing a hole by opening another...

It's not like we have a lot of other choices, and right tackle is a much more important hole than left guard.

RT may have been Mewhort's long-term destination all along....   it's not clear yet.

If we do cut Cherilus I think a line of... Castanzo-Iupati-Holmes-Thomas/Thornton-Mewhort would be the way to go. I would let Thomas and Thornton battle it out for the RG spot, or possibly cut Thomas and sign a mid tier player such as Connolly. Thomas was solid last year in the couple games he played before the injury. Also I've heard the Saints may release one of those beast Guards they have, Grubbs and Evans. either one would be a nice addition.

I could be wrong on this,  but I'm not aware that Grubbs and Evans are still beats.    I think their best days are behind them.

I think we're going back 2/3 years if we're considering them beasts.