Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Down the Stretch Mock Draft

After the close game against the Browns, a couple of things I liked: 

• Khaled Holmes did a nice job at right guard. I am not sure that should be his permanent home, but he definitely appeared to be an improvement over Reitz. I hope he gets the start against Houston to get a better feel how good of a guard he can be going up against JJ Watt. 
  • Defensively, Montori Hughes had a nice game at NT. 
  • Josh Gordy and Darius Butler looked good (although Hoyer looked really bad). 

The way I see the 2015 draft playing out: 

1.) Marcus Peters CB Washington: 6'0" 190 lbs

I could see Peters dropping into the 20s and being too good to pass up. Peters has a chance to be a truly elite level talent, and our secondary outside of Vontae Davis is suspect. I am very lukewarm on Toler (some of you really like him), and he is a free agent after next season anyway. Darius Butler and Josh Gordy are free agents this offseason. Peters is a physical ballhawk, and I would love to see him paired with Vontae Davis next season. 

2.) Antwan Goodley WR Baylor: 5'11" 220 lbs

Goodley is a bit under the radar, but has great size given he is under 6 feet. He packs a punch when he has the ball, and has blazing speed to boot. I see wide receiver as a need with Nicks gone after the season, and Wayne possibly being gone as well. I hate to see the Wayne era end, but his play has declined (despite injuries). Hilton, Moncrief, and Goodley is a nice trio of receivers for Luck to throw to. Regardless of needs elsewhere, I see Goodley as being the best player available at this spot in the draft. 

3.) Stephone Anthony LB Clemson: 6'2" 240 lbs

Anthony is a stud linebacker who is hidden in the shadow of Vic Beasley. Hopefully he will fall to us in the 3rd because he would dramatically improve our inside linebacker play. I am interested in seeing what Henouc Muamba can do, but he seems to be 4th or 5th on the depth chart

4.) Eric Rowe S Utah 6'1" 200 lbs

Starter at free safety since his freshman season, fast and tenacious, can play free or strong safety as we seem to like our safeties; apparently runs a 4.39 40 http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/rowe_eric00.html 

Peters certainly has talent but after seeing him clash with the coach this last year, I'm not sure I'd want to use a first round pick on him. Just recently, Loucheiz Purifoy was cut for having disciplinary issues and clashing with coaches and was subsequently kicked off the team. Grigson and Pagano want guys that fit into the positive locker room and I'm not sure Peters would.

I'm also not much of a fan of Goodley. I think there will be much better value throughout the draft at the receiver position.

Peters certainly has talent but after seeing him clash with the coach this last year, I'm not sure I'd want to use a first round pick on him. Just recently, Loucheiz Purifoy was cut for having disciplinary issues and clashing with coaches and was subsequently kicked off the team. Grigson and Pagano want guys that fit into the positive locker room and I'm not sure Peters would.

I'm also not much of a fan of Goodley. I think there will be much better value throughout the draft at the receiver position.

That's because the colts give up on players too easy.

That's because the colts give up on players too easy.

I think if players repeatedly break the rules then they need to go. I was a huge fan of Purifoy, but if he insisted on clashing with the coaches and breaking rules then he shouldn't be on the team. Purifoy had a terrible junior year, had run-ins with the law, turned police informant to get himself out of trouble and then, knowing this may well be his late chance at professional football, repeatedly butted heads with the coaching staff. I was a huge advocate to give him a shot at the beginning of the year but he wasted his chance. You have to hold the players responsible for their actions on and off the field. Purifoy, Rogers, Brazille, etc. have all been given multiple chances and failed to hold themselves accountable. They, therefore have no place on this team.

If Rowe lasts into the 6th round, I'd be surprised. I definitely agree that CB is a huge need for us though. Toler can't stay healthy for an entire season, and since we let Purifoy and Burley go, our depth is terrible. 

I think WR is less of a need if we end up signing from the CFL. If we don't get him , I see us drafting a WR later than the 2nd round since LB and safety are a bigger need as well. 

We need an O-lineman too. 

So many needs. Geesh. 

Anthony is a 6th round prospect and in second we won't go receiver with pressing o-line needs. Like to see mario edwards or someone. Good job tho

I think Anthony will end up in the 3rd/4th round area after all the postseason games, combine, workouts, etc. You may be right, and if we can nab him later, I am all for it. 

Personally, I would prefer us to address the offensive line via free agency. We have a number of young guys on the roster, I would prefer to add a veteran with experience. I am interested in seeing Khaled Holmes get a chance at guard to see if he is in the mix as a potential long-term solution. Adding a young, unproven player does not necessarily help the line. 

If Rowe lasts into the 6th round, I'd be surprised. I definitely agree that CB is a huge need for us though. Toler can't stay healthy for an entire season, and since we let Purifoy and Burley go, our depth is terrible. 

I think WR is less of a need if we end up signing from the CFL. If we don't get him , I see us drafting a WR later than the 2nd round since LB and safety are a bigger need as well. 

We need an O-lineman too. 

So many needs. Geesh. 

I agree that we have a number of needs to address. However, my personal philosophy regarding the draft (and what history has shown) is that it is a mistake to bypass talent for need. 

Duron Carter is the wide receiver from the CFL. I am not familiar with his game, but he is a roughly 6'5" 200 lb receiver who was a top recruit coming out of high school. He had some issues in school that led him to the CFL. If we sign him, I could see bypassing WR early in the draft. In the latter part of the second round, Goodley may represent value. It seems like there could be a run on pass rushers early which could leave some receivers and offensive linemen available in the second. 

One name on the line I would be interested in is Hroniss Grasu, C Oregon. I really have no clue what to think about the Center position. Harrison has his moments where he shines as well as mental lapses. Shipley was overmatched at times yesterday. Holmes looked good at right guard. It just seems like the team has no faith in him. Grasu could possibly help solidify the interior of the line.

One name I just read about online at Bleacher Report that seems intriguing is DeForest Buckner. He is a 6'6" 290lb defensive end. He could replace Redding and provide a nice bookend to Arthur Jones. I have not watched many Oregon games though. It sounds like his stock is skyrocketing as well. 

I agree that we have a number of needs to address. However, my personal philosophy regarding the draft (and what history has shown) is that it is a mistake to bypass talent for need. 

Duron Carter is the wide receiver from the CFL. I am not familiar with his game, but he is a roughly 6'5" 200 lb receiver who was a top recruit coming out of high school. He had some issues in school that led him to the CFL. If we sign him, I could see bypassing WR early in the draft. In the latter part of the second round, Goodley may represent value. It seems like there could be a run on pass rushers early which could leave some receivers and offensive linemen available in the second. 

One name on the line I would be interested in is Hroniss Grasu, C Oregon. I really have no clue what to think about the Center position. Harrison has his moments where he shines as well as mental lapses. Shipley was overmatched at times yesterday. Holmes looked good at right guard. It just seems like the team has no faith in him. Grasu could possibly help solidify the interior of the line.

One name I just read about online at Bleacher Report that seems intriguing is DeForest Buckner. He is a 6'6" 290lb defensive end. He could replace Redding and provide a nice bookend to Arthur Jones. I have not watched many Oregon games though. It sounds like his stock is skyrocketing as well. 

Grasu has issues with getting bullrushed by bigger D-lineman and doesn't really shine in run blocking. I'm more intrigued by Florida State's Cameron Erving who was a left tackle then moved to center and has been playing like a natural. Offers huge upside and versatility.

Collins G/T LSU will eventually take over for Cherilus

Kevin Johnson CB Wake Forest

Harris S Virginia

Armstead DE Oregon may be one the rise after the combine a freakish athlete has had a down year would be a steal here if he falls this far.

We need some difference makers on D.

It is to early and this is without a lot of thought or research.

I hope we don't take a WR early but if Montgomery from Stanford is hanging around in the 3rd like Moncrief was last year I would swoop in on that kid. I may have trouble letting him get by in the the second. I really like that kid.                                                                                          ;

Is anyone familiar with DeForest Buckner from Oregon?

Apparently his stock is on the rise. He is a junior who is 6'6" and 290 lbs. He is having a great season and is currently projected to be a first round pick if he declares. I read a piece on Bleacher Report about him, I was a little surprised because I haven't heard much about him. I haven't watched many Oregon games though.