Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hate To Be The Bearer Of Bad News But.....

mahagga73

This reminds me so much of Mike Davis at IU. He took over for Bob Knight and used his system with his players and made it to the Final Four. Then those players were gone and IU took a nose dive and Davis was fired.

Caldwell took Dungy's team with Dungy's system and took them to the Super Bowl. This year Caldwell is forced to coach and we see what he does. His coaching ability has equated zero wins with many fans dressed as plastic seats around me today. Caldwell will be fired, but it depends on how much Irsay is willing to lose before it happens.

This reminds me so much of Mike Davis at IU. He took over for Bob Knight and used his system with his players and made it to the Final Four. Then those players were gone and IU took a nose dive and Davis was fired.

Caldwell took Dungy's team with Dungy's system and took them to the Super Bowl. This year Caldwell is forced to coach and we see what he does. His coaching ability has equated zero wins with many fans dressed as plastic seats around me today. Caldwell will be fired, but it depends on how much Irsay is willing to lose before it happens.

He needs to clean house entirely but that isn't gonna happen I am afraid.

I would bet the farm Caldwell is back next year.Irsay doesn't have the guts to clean house,so get used to bad football for the foreseeable future.I have moved past the notion that it is just PM that is the reason for this but it is so much more,from the Front Office down to the coaches,and especially the Owners box if something drastic is not done in the offseason.This antiquated defense,drafting small players who get their arses kicked in in the fourth quarter,failure to acquire a competent backup QB,failure to do something about special teams,failure to have NFL quality CB's.Failure to acquire a free agent or two to bolster weaknesses,etc...

I think it would be the stupidest move of the decade by the team of the decade if Caldwell returns. I'm sorry to say Caldwell probably will return, if for no other reason that he takes a lot of heat off of Polian and son. As far as the issues you cited in your above post, some of us have been beating that drumbeat for a while. Now that more fans have opened their eyes to the ineptitude, poor front office management and lousy coaching maybe Irsay will ensure proper changes are made. If not, I can see the fan base become apathetic and vote with our wallets.

LOL, you do know that the ball has laces ,right.Because if you don't think Caldwell has nothing to do with this mess, than you you don't even know what game you are watching.

I didn't say Caldwell had nothing to do with the mess I said Jim Caldwell had nothing to do with Painter stinking or perhaps I should have said Caldwell has nothing to do with Painter being a bad football player.

I would like to know why cleaning house requires "guts" instead of intelligent thought, careful analysis, and a plan for a qualified replacement.

same reason it takes guts to punch out the local bully that's bigger than you.You know it's the right thing to do but it takes guts.

I think it would be the stupidest move of the decade by the team of the decade if Caldwell returns. I'm sorry to say Caldwell probably will return, if for no other reason that he takes a lot of heat off of Polian and son. As far as the issues you cited in your above post, some of us have been beating that drumbeat for a while. Now that more fans have opened their eyes to the ineptitude, poor front office management and lousy coaching maybe Irsay will ensure proper changes are made. If not, I can see the fan base become apathetic and vote with our wallets.

sorry to say,I highly doubt it is going to look any different next year.

I didn't say Caldwell had nothing to do with the mess I said Jim Caldwell had nothing to do with Painter stinking or perhaps I should have said Caldwell has nothing to do with Painter being a bad football player.

Was Jim Caldwell not a quarterback coach before becoming the head coach? Painter is awful anyways but you have to give Caldwell some of the blame. Painter is no better now than he was when he took over.

Was Jim Caldwell not a quarterback coach before becoming the head coach? Painter is awful anyways but you have to give Caldwell some of the blame. Painter is no better now than he was when he took over.

I think Moore was the QB coach before the one we have now. Caldwell was the coach in waiting which is what Dungy wanted so in my opinion this was partly Dungy's fault and I like Dungy but didn't like this decision. JMO and I could be wrong on all counts but I have been a Colts fan since they arrived in 1984 so try and stay on top of what is happening. If I'm wrong sorry in advance.

I think Moore was the QB coach before the one we have now. Caldwell was the coach in waiting which is what Dungy wanted so in my opinion this was partly Dungy's fault and I like Dungy but didn't like this decision. JMO and I could be wrong on all counts but I have been a Colts fan since they arrived in 1984 so try and stay on top of what is happening. If I'm wrong sorry in advance.

Caldwell was QB coach at Penn State from 1986-1992, Caldwell was the QB coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2001, Caldwell was the QB coach of the Indianapolis Colts from 2002-2008.

I would say he has plenty of experience coaching quarterbacks. He has failed with Painter, because I see no improvement.

Im surprised no one mentioned the way he was on the sidelines... he seemed like he was into the game today. I hope we arent kidding our selfs the colts have a terrible team, yes some good players here and there but as a team they are terrible and blame goes down from the owner all the way down to the players... especially the players, changing coaches will only take you so far especially with some of the players the colts have.

Colts fans know all too well what having one really good player can do for a team.. or what it cant if he's not playing, if the colts can get that "really good" player on defense like a ray lewis or a troy polamalu then your set.

I think Jim Caldwell gets a pass for the upcoming off season, he may not be the best coach but he aint the worst... and if the colts can somehow manage to land themselves with some good players, not just players that just play good SOMETIMES, then they have a pretty good chance of getting back on top.

If you were to tell a Browns fan Bill was gonna be one of the greatest coaches the NFL would ever see when he was coaching for the browns they would probably laugh in your face but look at him now.

same reason it takes guts to punch out the local bully that's bigger than you.You know it's the right thing to do but it takes guts.

Those are so not related. Wow, that was your best example?

Besides, those guts you speak of just made for a stupid decision. That bully is likely big, and rather impervious to pain from people a lot smaller than he (or she), hence the reason that person is a bully. Weight class is EVERYTHING in a fight, unless the smaller person is Bruce Lee. So go ahead, follow your gut. Punch that bully, then get your teeth pumped down your throat and wonder why you didn't think it through first. The bully wants you to respond instinctively, instead of logically.

Furthermore, are you suggesting that someone is bullying Irsay into keeping the Front Office in-tact? I mean, he's the guy with the money after all. He's the one who has free reign to be the bully. Again, terrible argument.

Intelligence and planning will defeat guts 100% of the time.

yes he was but it's pretty clear Painter just isn't good enough to play in the NFL, I don't care how good of a coach someone might be they can't physically make a player better if they don't have enough talent.

Yeah Denver also found a QB that worked for them give us a QB that worked for us namely Peyton Manning and things would be better. It's not an excuse it's the main reason you might not like it but it is. Jim Caldwell's coaching has nothing to do with Curtis Painter stinking.

True Painter isn't that good and it isn't Caldwell's fault that he isn't Peyton. So when you have three plays at the endzone within the ten yard line and have a running back who is on fire and their defense can't seem to stop you run three passing plays? This is the thing that bothers me the most, we all know Painter isn't Manning yet they run the offense the same as if he was in there. Run simpler plays, run the ball more, minimize Painter's passing as much as possible and run a playbook he is more capable of. Instead they call the game like Manning is out there and fail but claim they are doing everything they can. There are only three QBs even close to being what Manning is, Brady, Rogers and Brees, yet other teams have success with lesser QBs. Teams like Denver and San Fran are winning games with less than desireable QBs, because they adjust their playbook to them so they can be as comfortable and successful as possible.

What type of playbook is Painter capable of exactly? Tony Dungy caught lightening in a bottle with a system but it is simply not working anymore. I feel as if Caldwell and these rest of the staff is beating a dead horse. He is terrible with game management, player development, and adjusting to problems. I detest the Patriots with every ounce of my being, but Billichek(sp?) has overcome and adapted to everything. When something doesn't work, TRY SOMETHING ELSE!!! I can't pretend to be a coach but use some common sense.

True Painter isn't that good and it isn't Caldwell's fault that he isn't Peyton. So when you have three plays at the endzone within the ten yard line and have a running back who is on fire and their defense can't seem to stop you run three passing plays? This is the thing that bothers me the most, we all know Painter isn't Manning yet they run the offense the same as if he was in there. Run simpler plays, run the ball more, minimize Painter's passing as much as possible and run a playbook he is more capable of. Instead they call the game like Manning is out there and fail but claim they are doing everything they can. There are only three QBs even close to being what Manning is, Brady, Rogers and Brees, yet other teams have success with lesser QBs. Teams like Denver and San Fran are winning games with less than desireable QBs, because they adjust their playbook to them so they can be as comfortable and successful as possible.

That running back wasn't on fire in the second half in fact the Panthers were pretty much stopping him in the second half. It was the pass that had moving us down the field late in the game. My guess for why they didn't run the ball down there was that they were running out of time and they were out of timeouts. They didn't want to run Brown have him not get in and have to waste a down and time spiking the ball or having to hurry up and run a play and have miscomuncation out there because of the hurry up. They only ran two plays from inside the three yardline too it's not like they ran five or six plays and didn't run at all. They had a 4th and 5 at the 15 that they converted to get them to the three then Painter had the no call PI to Tamme in the endzone followed up with the INT.

Painter threw the ball 29 times today since they were behind most of the game okay all of the game or tied that's really not a lot of passes since we've seen Peyton throw 50+ times in that spot. Painter only threw 19 passes the week before against the Jags. I think it's pretty clear the Colts are trying to limit their throws with Painter and trying to run the ball more but that works as long as you aren't down two poisions late in the game and the run is working well. The Panthers made us go away from it and the Painter probably played his best quarter of football since the KC game (for the record best quarter of football since then does not equal good football).

The point I am trying to get at is that while Caldwell is part of the problem he isn't the main problem. The main problem is a lack of talent at the QB poistion and no coach is going to make that better.

What type of playbook is Painter capable of exactly? Tony Dungy caught lightening in a bottle with a system but it is simply not working anymore. I feel as if Caldwell and these rest of the staff is beating a dead horse. He is terrible with game management, player development, and adjusting to problems. I detest the Patriots with every ounce of my being, but Billichek(sp?) has overcome and adapted to everything. When something doesn't work, TRY SOMETHING ELSE!!! I can't pretend to be a coach but use some common sense.

Lighting in a bottle? It worked for almost 10 years (and that's not counting the five or so years it worked in Tampa before he got here) in the NFL that's near forever not just lighting in a bottle. Jim Harbaugh's season in 1995 was lighting in a bottle.

As for the rest of your point that's my biggest issue with Caldwell he doesn't adjust. He can come up with a game plan but during the game he can't find the right changes to make unlike Dungy who seemed to know exactly which changes to make. That's why Dungy was a great coach and why Caldwell is an average coach.

I do think Caldwell is good at developing players, I mean we've played how many young guys or new guys in the middle of the season over the past two years? A lot of those guys have had an impact for us as well. So I think it's unfair to say he doesn't develop players. Yes you would like to see more out of a Jerry Hughes but you can also look at a guy like Brown who is finally coming along and gets it or Pat Angerer or Conner who keeps getting better and better. I think the Colts do have an over all talent problem but that goes more on the GM than it does the head coach. I mean the head coach can only develop a guy so much at some point you have to have talent to go with it.

I agree with the over all theme of your post though it's time for something different on defense.