Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ray lewis gets a statue

CR91

I think character matters.  If character didn't matter then Joe Paterno's statue would still be standing based solely on the accomplishments and statistics of his career on the field.

Yes, I know, I know, one had to do with child abuse cover up for years, the other an alleged murder.  But, character is character.  I think the Ravens can find someone more worthy of a statue eventually who isn't such a controversial figure.

I have to admit I'm conflicted about it. From a football perspective, love it, from a character perspective , dicey. Good analogy with Joe Pa. I'm obviously not a Penn State fan, I'm a Terps guy , but they must have similar feelings up there. Ray got a chance for rehabilitation , but Joe never did. The Paterno story is very sad because 99.9. % of the things he did were great. Maybe because of his advanced age, he didn't follow up on the heinous accusations against Sandusky. These types of stories should be cautionary tales for all players , coaches, and owners.

Just a joke. Always like to give some publicity to my favorite moving company !

I know that TOC. I like your brand of humor & I didn't mean to come across as critical. I was giving you credit along with Vance for making me laugh. It's all good man. No need to explain yourself. I just like humor that's a little racy & provocative that's all. 

I still respect Ray Lewis. Nothing changes there ever. I just like equal opportunity slammers. I joke around about your franchise & you joke around about mine. We're fine TOC. We're fine.  :thmup:

I know that TOC. I like your brand of humor & I didn't mean to come across as critical. I was giving you credit along with Vance for making me laugh. It's all good man. No need to explain yourself. I just like humor that's a little racy & provocative that's all. 

I still respect Ray Lewis. Nothing changes there ever. I just like equal opportunity slammers. I joke around about your franchise & you joke around about mine. We're fine TOC. We're fine.  :thmup:

Thanks, I like Ray also, but understand the baggage. It has been a funny thread in places .

I have to admit I'm conflicted about it. From a football perspective, love it, from a character perspective , dicey. Good analogy with Joe Pa. I'm obviously not a Penn State fan, I'm a Terps guy , but they must have similar feelings up there. Ray got a chance for rehabilitation , but Joe never did. The Paterno story is very sad because 99.9. % of the things he did were great. Maybe because of his advanced age, he didn't follow up on the heinous accusations against Sandusky. These types of stories should be cautionary tales for all players , coaches, and owners.

Joe is on a different plane though. True, he did not participate in unspeakable acts against innocent children, but the scandal happened under his tenure at the University & he didn't do enough to stop these sexual acts of molestation once he became aware of them. And if a person is going to call into question Joe's age & awareness, then maybe he should not have still be coaching a college team quite so long. 

The crime doesn't take you down; the coverup is what takes you down. Did Joe do some remarkable things at Penn State? Yes. Is it fair that this scandal is all people remember of him? No, but it still transpired under his watch & sadly that cannot be erased or forgotten. 

I agree use the Penn State case as a cautionary tale of what not to permit on campus or organizational grounds. I do feel bad for Alumni students of that fine institution though. 

Thanks, I like Ray also, but understand the baggage. It has been a funny thread in places .

I prefer people with a little baggage actually as long as they are entertaining storytellers, survive some pitfalls, & know what not to do next time in the same circumstance. All the phrase "checkered past" means is I hope I sit next to this guy or girl on the flight. Saints are nice, but sinners are legendary & we all fall down at some point I don't care who you are. 

The question is: What will you do after you get up & dust yourself off? Besides, I enjoy the company of people with a few battle scars from life under their belt anyway. Perfection is overrated. LOL! 

Gotta go watch the Hawks vs the Packers now...

I have no problem with him moving on with his life and making major contributions to the game, and of course his home team. He deserves to be honored and I realize what he means to the Baltimore community. However, I will never respect him for his final playoffs....where he was for the most part ineffectual, and his team carried him, and in his final limelight, all he talked about was himself...........not the guys who carried him to that "fitting end".

No, my opinions are not because he played for the Ravens. If Manning or Luck acted the same way in the same situation, I would lose all respect for them as well.

In all, a statue erected in your honor signifies your greatness to the team. He certainly earned that.

I have no problem with him moving on with his life and making major contributions to the game, and of course his home team. He deserves to be honored and I realize what he means to the Baltimore community. However, I will never respect him for his final playoffs....where he was for the most part ineffectual, and his team carried him, and in his final limelight, all he talked about was himself...........not the guys who carried him to that "fitting end".

No, my opinions are not because he played for the Ravens. If Manning or Luck acted the same way in the same situation, I would lose all respect for them as well.

In all, a statue erected in your honor signifies your greatness to the team. He certainly earned that.

I think there is something to Ray's narcissistic tendencies. Certainly the Ray of 2012 wasn't the Ray of 2000. However, I think there was something to the retirement announcement that gave the Ravens a boost in that post season. His leadership was also pivotal , although is play wasn't up to his older standards. You could see the following year after Lewis and Reed left , the leadership void that was a factor in the Ravens finishing 8-8. As a player, there is no doubt he made the Ravens franchise what it is. For that, he deserves a statue , but it's hard to deny that he is a flawed hero.

Joe Paterno is prime example of how no matter what you do in life one mistake can cost you everything. The simple act of him speaking up could have stopped a lot of bad things from going on there, and people namely children from being hurt. Penn State was all about sports, stats, wins... and I still think the school should have been given the same treatment as SMU who got in trouble for MONEY.

Ray Lewis from what we know at least straightened his life out, and never was caught up in anything else. I'll give him that.

Joe Paterno is prime example of how no matter what you do in life one mistake can cost you everything. The simple act of him speaking up could have stopped a lot of bad things from going on there, and people namely children from being hurt. Penn State was all about sports, stats, wins... and I still think the school should have been given the same treatment as SMU who got in trouble for MONEY.

Ray Lewis from what we know at least straightened his life out, and never was caught up in anything else. I'll give him that.

Yes, agree about Paterno. Very sad what happened to those kids. Ray did turn his life around. I know we've talked a lot about Jim Irsay and Ray Rice, and I think both of those guys will turn it around also. Paterno reported the incident, but stuck his head in the sand when no one followed up on it. This was another failure of leadership, and one with tragic consequences.

I think there is something to Ray's narcissistic tendencies. Certainly the Ray of 2012 wasn't the Ray of 2000. However, I think there was something to the retirement announcement that gave the Ravens a boost in that post season. His leadership was also pivotal , although is play wasn't up to his older standards. You could see the following year after Lewis and Reed left , the leadership void that was a factor in the Ravens finishing 8-8. As a player, there is no doubt he made the Ravens franchise what it is. For that, he deserves a statue , but it's hard to deny that he is a flawed hero.

He certainly has done a lot of good in that community and has been an inspiration to a great many young people. I don't want my own disappointment in his final days as an indicator that anyone should feel how I feel. I'm real big on humble. In some ways that is why I already appreciate Luck more than Manning as a person....down deep...he is more humble.

I respect your honesty.

He certainly has done a lot of good in that community and has been an inspiration to a great many young people. I don't want my own disappointment in his final days as an indicator that anyone should feel how I feel. I'm real big on humble. In some ways that is why I already appreciate Luck more than Manning as a person....down deep...he is more humble.

I respect your honesty.

I like humble also. Watch Unitas after he handed off to Ameche in the 58 Championship game. He just walked off the field and said nothing. Those guys from that time were real humble. They often worked extra jobs in the local communities in the off season, and stopped by the local watering holes. Those older NFL and MLB players were something else. It was a simpler time.