Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Video of luck changing the play like 5x in one plAy?

Trace Pyott

When we drafted luck I was watching videos on YouTube of luck to see if he was as good as advertised. I remember seeing this one clip of Andrew when he was at Stanford, and he had the team lined up one way. Then he said something and the whole line changed dramatically. Then he audibles another time and the offense switches again. Then he says another thing and they totally switch again. And Again and Again. I don't think it was to trick the opponent or anything I believe it was to show how in control of their offense he was. Anyways I have looked everywhere and cannot find it. Does anyone know where that video can be found or can you guys post it on here? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks n lv colts!

As a longtime Stanford fan and someone who saw every play of every game that Luck played in college, I can assure you that Luck didn't ever do anything to show how in control of the offense he was.  

Not a chance.    Luck is ego-less that way.

Luck's DNA isn't wired for that.    And Harbaugh and Shaw, his two HC's,  would not allow that.

The constant changing was always to trick the defense.    Make them confused as to what Stanford was going to do.   To create mismatches and keep the defense off balance.

I've never seen the clip you reference.    Though in the Orange Bowl against Virginia Tech,  Stanford did a lot of shifting throughout the game and Jon Gruden, who was doing color commentary,  was not impressed by what Stanford was doing.    Said he thought what Stanford was doing was not necessary.    He didn't like it and he made his feelings pretty clear.

But the shifting worked.   I think Stanford led by 3 or 4 at the half and won by 28....    the Cardinal was dominant that night.   That might've been the game you're thinking of....?

Hope this helps..........    and as a new member of the website....   welcome...  hope you enjoy it!    :thmup:

I feel like all those shifts were just for show.  I don't think the team actually had 4 plays set up and changed it 4 times.  I think they had their very last play ready, but they just shifted many times to confuse the defense.  Luck barely takes any time to actually read the defense before calling the next shift, and it's almost the call for the shift is almost instantly after the last guy gets set from the previous shift.  I can't say for sure, of course, but I think the shifts were all for confusion, they weren't 4 different plays.  Perhaps they would have ran a play if the defense was just completely out of it, but I don't think that was the plan

http://youtu.be/O0PY-POQbEo

Here is the part I was talking about. It starts at around 5min 5 sec into the video. I thought it was pretty cool and have never seen anyone do that before.

To be honest, while Stanford did a lot of shifting during the Harbaugh years -- especially the last two of his four years in Palo Alto --   we never shifted like that before.    That was put in just for Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl.   And it absolutely was done to confuse the Hokies.     Honestly,  it was overkill.    I don't remember what the result of that play was.   Did Va Tech stuff it?   Did Stanford break off a big gainer?     I don't know.

But it was put in for that game specifically....  we had never done before or since....    but Harbaugh was big on doing special things on The Big Stage.    And the Orange Bowl was the biggest game Stanford had played in roughly 12 years since the Rose Bowl in 2000.  

To be honest, while Stanford did a lot of shifting during the Harbaugh years -- especially the last two of his four years in Palo Alto --   we never shifted like that before.    That was put in just for Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl.   And it absolutely was done to confuse the Hokies.     Honestly,  it was overkill.    I don't remember what the result of that play was.   Did Va Tech stuff it?   Did Stanford break off a big gainer?     I don't know.

They stuffed it... 2 maaaybe 3 yard gain. 

I can't remember any of those plays going for big gains. Always 2 yds and a cloud of shifts.

Are referencing the play where the OL is all funky then shifted back to normal? Like NewColtsFan said, it was a play to confuse VT. It wasn't the same thing as what Peyton and Brady do. It was a designed play used once. Luck says a word and they shift to phase 2, another then onto step 3, then step 4 and so forth.

I feel like all those shifts were just for show.  I don't think the team actually had 4 plays set up and changed it 4 times.  I think they had their very last play ready, but they just shifted many times to confuse the defense.  Luck barely takes any time to actually read the defense before calling the next shift, and it's almost the call for the shift is almost instantly after the last guy gets set from the previous shift.  I can't say for sure, of course, but I think the shifts were all for confusion, they weren't 4 different plays.  Perhaps they would have ran a play if the defense was just completely out of it, but I don't think that was the plan

If this was in their bowl game then you're right. I read a book that explained that in their bowl game they shifted 4 times to basically show off. They didn't change the play call 4 times.