Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We are not the only one's with injuries, just look at the Jags!

loudnproudcolt

I know I have read a few posts about how we seem to be the cursed team who gets these terrible injuries. While I agree our history the last few years is not pretty, I also remember the last few months with posts even questioning Donald Thomas's return and if he would ever be healthy again. Also, Vick is a loss, no doubt about it, but we do have some good tailbacks left, and I believe Grigson will find someone on the waiver wires to fill the void. This is not meant to start an argument over Ballard's importance, he will be missed.

The thing I want to point out I guess is we see our injuries, and we go, Good God, another one. Well we just don't see all the other injuries, because unless it is a top player from another team, it gets one mention on the national sites, and then it is left to the team's reporters. So after looking around, just be glad we are not the Jaguars right now, and I am sure other teams fit into this category. When you read about the Jags, think about how important WR position is and how lucky we are to be so deep there and in the TE area. Also, I think Mewhort is going to be very good. LaCanfora had some really good things to say about him in the Colts camp report on CBS Sportsline, plus a few interesting mentions about the team as a whole: I am linking both the articles

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24645844/two-more-jaguars-wrs-injured-including-allen-robinson

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24645931/colts-training-camp-waynes-return-should-help-fix-red-zone-woes

Clearly we're not the only ones with injuries we're just statistically one of the most injured teams every year. Yes, the injuries seem worse to us as fans but it doesn't make it not true.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/2013-adjusted-games-lost

"The Colts ranked 31st (110.3) in AGL (Adjusted Games Lost) for the third time in five years and have ranked 24th or worse in eight straight seasons."

"Despite three head coaches since 2002, GM Ryan Grigson's annual roster purge and new philosophies on both sides of the ball, the Colts continue to be one of the NFL's most injured teams each season."

As I said, I am not arguing the point, we do get a lot of injuries. I just think so far the injuries this year are much more managable due to who has gone down and the depth we have in some of those positions thanks to Grigson thinking about it and putting depth in place. My main worry is always the line, but we have Mewhort, Lewis, Reitz, John, as depth right now for our guard positions. I just think we need to realize nothing has happened we cannot overcome. Plus if you read the Colts camp report by LaCanfora, it is clear Pagano and Grigson are looking at why we have had so many injuries and are trying new tactics to deal with it, and prevent them. I also have heard ESPN report on the same thing. This has been a centerpiece to Pagano's camp. It may have not worked well so far, but at least they realize the problem and are dealing with it through schedule of practices, protecting players even if minor injuries,!

Rember, just three years ago we were 2-14. We are incredibly spoiled, and I am glad. How we managed 11-5 the past two season when you consider depth and talent two years ago, and the injuries last year, I am amazed. If we make incremental steps in keeping the players healthy, we will make dramatic jumps. At least Pagano and Grigson recognize the problem and are trying to take precautionary steps.

Another one bites the dust. I really liked Abbrederis out of Wisconsin, and when he ran under a 4.5 in the combines, I thought he would be an excellent possession receiver. GB thought so too, and he is now gone for the season. As I said, glad we have WR depth. I promise I will not post injuries each day, but it just came over the wire. Apparently, we are not the only ones, although he would not have been a starter!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24646184/report-packers-fear-rookie-wr-jared-abbrederis-has-torn-acl

Clearly we're not the only ones with injuries we're just statistically one of the most injured teams every year. Yes, the injuries seem worse to us as fans but it doesn't make it not true.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/2013-adjusted-games-lost

"The Colts ranked 31st (110.3) in AGL (Adjusted Games Lost) for the third time in five years and have ranked 24th or worse in eight straight seasons."

"Despite three head coaches since 2002, GM Ryan Grigson's annual roster purge and new philosophies on both sides of the ball, the Colts continue to be one of the NFL's most injured teams each season."

Some guys on here would argue that is because of bad luck and not a trend in being at the bottom

of the NFL in injuries almost every season. It must have something to do with the Indy metro water

system now that Paul George went down for the season. :wall: