Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The 'suck For Luck' Mantra

U and this Matt Ryan compar. I haven't heard this. I've heard elway and manning. And Ryan is a great qb what's wrong with that.

Ryan is an average QB who will forever remain average. He has some of the most talented players around him, and even got to a home playoff game last year and did nothing. He will never do anything, because he's average.

People have mentioned Elway and Manning in terms of Luck's buzz as a college player heading into an NFL Draft. When asked about his ability, play-style, etc., several analysts an experts from various media outlets have said Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, and even Terry Bradshaw. From a playing ability, those are not a who's-who's of guys who can carry a franchise. Bradshaw was a joke who had a marvelous team around him; he made the Pro Bowl with 1800 passing yards. Romo is the biggest choker in Cowboys history, but every year is supposed to be his breakout (where he'll play the Chargers in the Super Bowl, right?). Matt Ryan plateaued as a rookie - what you are seeing from him is what you will get. Even the "get rid of Manning and draft Luck" NFLNetwork compared Luck to Ryan just last night.

You want that leading the Colts? If Manning could only reach two Super Bowls with this lot, what in the world makes you think a Matt Ryan play-style could get us there?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan is an average QB who will forever remain average. He has some of the most talented players around him, and even got to a home playoff game last year and did nothing. He will never do anything, because he's average.

People have mentioned Elway and Manning in terms of Luck's buzz as a college player heading into an NFL Draft. When asked about his ability, play-style, etc., several analysts an experts from various media outlets have said Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, and even Terry Bradshaw. From a playing ability, those are not a who's-who's of guys who can carry a franchise. Bradshaw was a joke who had a marvelous team around him; he made the Pro Bowl with 1800 passing yards. Romo is the biggest choker in Cowboys history, but every year is supposed to be his breakout (where he'll play the Chargers in the Super Bowl, right?). Matt Ryan plateaued as a rookie - what you are seeing from him is what you will get. Even the "get rid of Manning and draft Luck" NFLNetwork compared Luck to Ryan just last night.

You want that leading the Colts? If Manning could only reach two Super Bowls with this lot, what in the world makes you think a Matt Ryan play-style could get us there?

Lol I couldn't disagree more. Matt Ryan is an above average QB. I've heard his PLAYING style related to elway and manning. His size and strength. His football knowledge is great. It's all just opinion though. But I would take Matt Ryan over 28 other qbs in the league. Easy.

the term great gets thrown around way too much in sports. in my oppinion the true test of greatness in performing at a high level under bad conditions. this year has shown what manning has been performing with. breese turned a bad team around. i like brady, but that team is pretty good without him. rivers has struggled when he doesn't have all the pieces around him. rogers has only been a starter for 4 years, so we will see how things go with his career.

Many have said Luck is the next great thing, but before him, Jamarcus Russell was the next great qb, and before him Matt Leinart, Vince Young, etc. Nobody talks about it now, but I remember there was a huge debate on whether the Colts should draft Manning or Ryan Leaf. Many fans in town were distraught when Manning was chosen, thinking San Diego got the better player. My point is that none of these college "superstars" are guaranteed to do well in the NFL. Luck has a nice tool set, and some decent intangibles, but I'm not sure there would even be a discussion if he played in the SEC against those talented defenses. The idea that any professional team should ever even consider not giving their best effort in any game just for a questionable and unproven talent is laughable to me. There is a reason we call them "prospects".

Many have said Luck is the next great thing, but before him, Jamarcus Russell was the next great qb, and before him Matt Leinart, Vince Young, etc. Nobody talks about it now, but I remember there was a huge debate on whether the Colts should draft Manning or Ryan Leaf. Many fans in town were distraught when Manning was chosen, thinking San Diego got the better player. My point is that none of these college "superstars" are guaranteed to do well in the NFL. Luck has a nice tool set, and some decent intangibles, but I'm not sure there would even be a discussion if he played in the SEC against those talented defenses. The idea that any professional team should ever even consider not giving their best effort in any game just for a questionable and unproven talent is laughable to me. There is a reason we call them "prospects".

young and leinart are ridiculous examples! they were never considered the consensus #1 pick let alone a one every 10 year qb..

Jason don't bother. Supertodd is delusional, his arguments are irrelevant and laughable. Just ignore him, waste of everyone's energy.

P.S. couldn't afford the players? whaaa?? First off that would mean they would be star players hence setting the team up for success down the road. 2nd that would successfully replace our veterans with young talent without skipping a beat so the sal cap would stay the same more or less...what does he want? a bunch of players with minimum contracts and Andrew Luck? ...sorry this recent point by supertodd was simply to ridiculous to ignore. hah...couldn't afford them *shakes head and smiles* Best post i've read all day. Well at least the most ridiculous.

I know what I'm talking about. Getting Luck sets us up for our best success down the road. YOU are delusional to argue otherwise... ask the Browns, Dolphins, Redskins how tough it is to get a franchise QB over the years. Your post was deemed too ridiculous for me to ignore and i had to respond even though it is kind of a waste of time to explain it to you.

If you are rooting for the #1 pick, you have a loser's mentality.

You don't have a winner mentality IMO. First of all, taking consolation in the #1 pick is not rooting for losses. No one started thinking draft until we were well out of playoff contention. Secondly, the ultimate goal of a franchise is to win many super bowls. Once you are out of contention for a super bowl, then your next objective should be to beef up your franchise. You do that through the draft. The colts were so bad for so long that we actually got a lot of great draft picks over the years and now we are a good team, with the #1 pick. Haters will hate.

I'm just ecstatis that we won a couple of games and really had the chance to "blow" the 1st overall pick. Just to shut the haters up... there were circumstances late in the season that jeopardized Indy etting number 1 overall. People can say what the want; people who troll one team's board from another team. Happy New Year everybody! Look forward to next season, not dwell on this past one. What is done is DONE.

Those who have watched Luck play have made these observations about how great he can be.

He made a very average Stanford team into a BCS team. His receivers at Stanford are average

and still won games. With great receivers like the Colts have Luck should be amazing. It took

several seasons to find other receivers for Manning to get the ball to. I see the Colts use Wayne,

Clark, Garcon, and Collie for now and then gradually replace them with the next best thing. The

Colts offense isn't that bad. Manning's health will be a question. If we don't draft Luck and get a

lesser QB and Manning gets hurt, it may be a long time before the Colts get back to the glory.