Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

defense

OLD FAN MAN

Im not all for the doom and gloom but with what info we have based off last year and the uncertainty of what we will get from Werner there is some cause for some concern over where our pass rush could come from:

Arthur Jones-4.0 sacks last year (.5 sack short of his career high 4.5)

Cory Redding-4.5 sacks last year....His career high was 8 years ago in a 43 scheme...8

Fili Moala-1.5

Ricky Jean Francois-2.5

Montori Hughes-0

Jeris Pendleton-0

Bjoern Werner-2.5

Cam Johnson-0

Jerrell Freeman-5.5

D'qwell Jackson-1.5 (career high 3.5)

Kelvin Sheppard-1.0

Aaron Morgan-0

Erik Walden-3.5

26.5 sacks........Plus several other guys looking to start there first ever NFL game and just get on the roster......Thats not a doom and gloom...But ALOT of uncertainty

Bingo, we have a winner. Gonna be hard without Mathis. Honestly, basically cuts the pressure in half which really does affect the whole pass defense.

would this number have made us the lowest team in sacks?

not really because if Mathis hadn't played last year then someone else would have been in that RushLB role and would have gotten many of the sacks that Mathis did...perhaps not all 19.5 but many of them.  

I'm going to say Robert is much better than whomever his substitute would be. If we have another guy that could produce 14 sacks in Robert's role, he's certainly good enough to be somewhere else in our defense. I don't think anyone else would have had more than 7 in that role. So yes, Robert is not a product of the system and would be missed greatly. I don't think they will change the defense for him being out however. It will be very interesting if we are out of the bottom 12 defenses on Oct. 1.

Truly sad how you all have given up cause of one player

Just sad

Agreed.  From reading all the doom and gloomers, you'd think we found out that he's missing the entire season due to a blown knee.  Freeney's injury before the Superbowl was 5x more crippling than this, yet I don't remember 1/10 the negativity that this has brought.

I'm just checking here, but you people do realize he's only been suspended for 4 weeks and will be back in late September, perfectly healthy I might add.....right?

Agreed.  From reading all the doom and gloomers, you'd think we found out that he's missing the entire season due to a blown knee.  Freeney's injury before the Superbowl was 5x more crippling than this, yet I don't remember 1/10 the negativity that this has brought.

I'm just checking here, but you people do realize he's only been suspended for 4 weeks and will be back in late September, perfectly healthy I might add.....right?

only one fourth of the season, we can live without his1.2 sacks a game and constant pressure.

depending on if Mathis can get the commish to look at it and get it uplifted or get his suspension reduced then i think we'll survive because Denver and Philly will not be in midseason stride

There will be no uplifting or reductions. The commish has already put his statement out from the office of the NFL and I think it's a done deal. It would be nice if Godzilla (Adongo) was ready to play come day one! :goodluck:

Bingo, we have a winner. Gonna be hard without Mathis. Honestly, basically cuts the pressure in half which really does affect the whole pass defense.

So you are not going to take into account the player that will take his place? Or the fact that we have some players who are one more year into their career's? I am not saying Mathis is easily replaced but give some of the other players some credit.