Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bold move by Pats...Jimmy Garoppolo

oldunclemark

BB took a guy who didn't play in college and turned it into draft picks. How is that not turning nothing into gold?

I am sorry to inform you that BBs draft picks have not been all that good over the last few seasons. His percentage of players drafted of making the team is kind of low. Even the die hard Pats fans have made similar comments stating that. With the hoarding of picks the Pats have made the results haven't been great.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry to inform you that BBs draft picks have not been all that good over the last few seasons. His percentage of players drafted of making the team is kind of low. Even the die hard Pats fans have made similar comments stating that. With the hoarding of picks the Pats have made the results haven't been great.

I said nothing about any of that, so how you're bringing that up.....What? This is what I responded to. 

Whatever Belichick touches turns to gold so here is my advice: Sign all the QB's!

Really?  Ask Matt Cassell about that.

BB took a guy who didn't play in college and turned it into draft picks. How is that not turning nothing into gold?

I said nothing about any of that, so how you're bringing that up.....What? This is what I responded to. 

One example does not make a whole. The comment I made was a general comment. Now if you want to make it personal find someone else to play the game with.

Actually the Pats drafts have been better since Pioli left. Over the last few seasons Bill has drafted key starters and pro bowlers - Mayo, Edelman, Vollmer, McCourty, Gronk, Spikes, Solder, Vareen, Ridley, Jones, Hightower, Dennard, Collins, Dobson, Ryan, Harmon, Boyce. The core of the Pats especially on defense has been built through the draft the last four seasons. I would say Bill has done a great job in the draft recently. He certainly has had his misses most notably at the CB and WR positions but he has addressed those at least for this upcoming season through FA with Revis, Browner and Lafells.

Actually the Pats drafts have been better since Pioli left. Over the last few seasons Bill has drafted key starters and pro bowlers - Mayo, Edelman, Vollmer, McCourty, Gronk, Spikes, Solder, Vareen, Ridley, Jones, Hightower, Dennard, Collins, Dobson, Ryan, Harmon, Boyce. The core of the Pats especially on defense has been built through the draft the last four seasons. I would say Bill has done a great job in the draft recently. He certainly has had his misses most notably at the CB and WR positions but he has addressed those at least for this upcoming season through FA with Revis, Browner and Lafells.

I cant disagree with your comment. Pats have done a better job of getting something out of the hoarding of draft picks. That said there was a pretty long dry spell when that couldn't be said. All GMs have had their share of hits and misses not just the Pats. Pats kind of went out of the norm this year so far.

I cant disagree with your comment. Pats have done a better job of getting something out of the hoarding of draft picks. That said there was a pretty long dry spell when that couldn't be said. All GMs have had their share of hits and misses not just the Pats. Pats kind of went out of the norm this year so far.

Keep in mind that after about pick #20 in the first round, the chances of a draft pick panning out and starting in the NFL is about a coin flip at 52% or something crazy..  I forgot the exact stat, but guys in the first round only have a slightly higher percentage chance of not being a bust than guys in the 2nd and 3rd round.. which is why i believe that BB likes to trade back and get some extra picks to have more chances to hit on a draft pick.

Not sure what you mean by hoarding draft picks. The easiest and most cost effective way to build a football team is through the draft. Not to mention draft picks have a 50/50 chance of being a bust so the more picks the better chances of landing starters. The Pats did have some lousy drafts when Bobby Grier was heading things up but sometimes the draft class is also weak so you are at the mercy of the players that are available.

Not sure what you mean by hoarding draft picks. The easiest and most cost effective way to build a football team is through the draft. Not to mention draft picks have a 50/50 chance of being a bust so the more picks the better chances of landing starters. The Pats did have some lousy drafts when Bobby Grier was heading things up but sometimes the draft class is also weak so you are at the mercy of the players that are available.

By trading ageing starters for draft picks. That's where the outside fans come to the conclusion that the Pats are not committed or loyal to their seasoned veterans. But because it's the Pats a bigger deal is made of it. I am not saying it's a bad or wrong thing it's just the way the Pats have done it in the past. I'm not sure if it's BB or the way Kraft want's things. Caserio may have a larger say in the future, who knows.

By trading ageing starters for draft picks. That's where the outside fans come to the conclusion that the Pats are not committed or loyal to their seasoned veterans. But because it's the Pats a bigger deal is made of it. I am not saying it's a bad or wrong thing it's just the way the Pats have done it in the past. I'm not sure if it's BB or the way Kraft want's things. Caserio may have a larger say in the future, who knows.

It is actually a good strategy to trade aging starters for draft picks. I think with the Pats though they move on from vets when they still have a year or two left so I think that makes them somewhat unique. They are always looking for value and will not pay for past performance so that has left a bad taste in some players mouths. But at times they have ponied up like extending Wilfork this season and Brady last season. But both of those players have been in cornerstones to the franchise as well. I think where the Pats have gotten burned the most is not re-signing their own guys when they have been in their prime. Deion Branch and Asante Samuels come to mind immediately. They were never really able to replace either guy long term and both could have helped extend their championship run but they had a number and would not budge. I actually think they have gotten better in this regard as they signed Mayo when he had a year left and then gave out big contracts to Gronk and AH after their second seasons. And even though they got burned by AH, I think they understand now that it is better to lock up young talent early before they hit the market.

One example does not make a whole. The comment I made was a general comment. Now if you want to make it personal find someone else to play the game with.

Are you serious? YOU, not him, not me, YOU brought up Matt Cassell. You have reading comprehension issues. 

Are you serious? YOU, not him, not me, YOU brought up Matt Cassell. You have reading comprehension issues. 

Do you understand the meaning of a general comment? Seems like you have a touch of the lack of comprehension yourself. I have an opinion and voice that. If you want to get your pants all in a bunch find someone else to whine to.

Do you understand the meaning of a general comment? Seems like you have a touch of the lack of comprehension yourself. I have an opinion and voice that. If you want to get your pants all in a bunch find someone else to whine to.

You can't have a "general" comment by mentioning a specific player. That makes zero sense. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, he has had no luck drafting Defensive Backs in the draft....Meriweather, Ras-I Dowling, Darius Butler, Patrick Chung, Terrence Wheatley...the list can keep going on and on.

There are of course some prospects that look good like Harmon and Ryan, but its too early to say for them.

With that said, at least he drafted 1 good DB the last few years worthy of this team and that was Devin McCourty.