Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Larry Webster...

Anybody else ever heard of him? I've been following him for awhile and i'm excited by his TE abilities, even thought he's listed as a DT. Could he be another graham/thomas/gates? He's projected as a 7th/R.F.A., so maybe we could bring him in and see where he fits. Thoughts?

BTW: His dad played in the NFL also...not that it matters.

I like him as an undrafted Free Agent, Has to get stronger from what I see and develop pass rush moves but I like his acceleration....Dont love it(I think he lacks some play recognition and developing that could help his jump off the ball, How much? I dont know), I have seen much quicker, Looks like he has some agility to him. Wouldn't spend a draft pick on him but I'd certainly give him a look otherwise

Undrafted free agent?!?

NFL.com has him as a 4th/5rth round pick....    ESPN has him in the 5th round.

He tested extremely well at the combine, so while his background is on DE and he projects to a 4-3 RDE or a 3-4 OLB,  both websites says they can see him moving to offense and playing tight end.   Scouts think his personality might be a better fit on offense rather than defense.

Here's his NFL.com profile....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/larry-webster?id=2543786

I just checked CBS sports.com.....   and they have him as a tight end....   with a 5th round grade.

When all three websites are in near agreement on a players value,  that should give you a pretty accurate feel for where professionals think he'll go.

Undrafted free agent?!?

NFL.com has him as a 4th/5rth round pick....    ESPN has him in the 5th round.

He tested extremely well at the combine, so while his background is on DE and he projects to a 4-3 RDE or a 3-4 OLB,  both websites says they can see him moving to offense and playing tight end.   Scouts think his personality might be a better fit on offense rather than defense.

Here's his NFL.com profile....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/larry-webster?id=2543786

I just checked CBS sports.com.....   and they have him as a tight end....   with a 5th round grade.

When all three websites are in near agreement on a players value,  that should give you a pretty accurate feel for where professionals think he'll go.

Mel Kiper had jeff george as the 89th best player once as well. Where did he go? They're not always right.

Mel Kiper had jeff george as the 89th best player once as well. Where did he go? They're not always right.

You really are in a mood to fight....... 

Every single person who judges talent for a living -- everyone of them, no matter the sport -- has been wrong on players.   Lots of players.    You can't be in the talent judging business and not be wrong some of the time.  

That said,  it's ironic that you would cite Kiper and Jeff George.    Given that George had a very disappointing career,  it shows that in this case at least,  Kiper was right,  not wrong.

But even that still misses the point.......     the point is that three different websites -- not one -- but three, all have Webster in the same range.     That means they're probably pretty close.     Now, come the actual draft it only takes one team who loves a guy to change things.

One team might take Webster in the 3rd round.   But that doesn't mean that 31 other teams didn't have a 4th or 5th round grade on him.

One poster in this thread expressed he'd take Webster as an undrafted free agent.   I was trying to stress that Webster -- the guy you promoted -- is better than an undrafted free agent.

But you're in such a mood to fight that even when I'm supporting you,  you want to look for a fight.

You're entitled to all of the opinions you want....   I don't care if we ever agree....   but if you're constantly looking for a fight,  it will not go well for you.......

Every single person who judges talent for a living -- everyone of them, no matter the sport -- has been wrong on players.   Lots of players.    You can't be in the talent judging business and not be wrong some of the time.  

That said,  it's ironic that you would cite Kiper and Jeff George.    Given that George had a very disappointing career,  it shows that in this case at least,  Kiper was right,  not wrong.

But even that still misses the point.......     the point is that three different websites -- not one -- but three, all have Webster in the same range.     That means they're probably pretty close.     Now, come the actual draft it only takes one team who loves a guy to change things.

One team might take Webster in the 3rd round.   But that doesn't mean that 31 other teams didn't have a 4th or 5th round grade on him.

One poster in this thread expressed he'd take Webster as an undrafted free agent.   I was trying to stress that Webster -- the guy you promoted -- is better than an undrafted free agent.

But you're in such a mood to fight that even when I'm supporting you,  you want to look for a fight.

You're entitled to all of the opinions you want....   I don't care if we ever agree....   but if you're constantly looking for a fight,  it will not go well for you.......

Dear god. And you wonder why so many people dislike you. Webster's a borderline prospect that could go anywhere from 5TH-P.R.F.A. I think he might fall and us being lucky enough to snag him as a P.R.F.A.

Dear god. And you wonder why so many people dislike you. Webster's a borderline prospect that could go anywhere from 5TH-P.R.F.A. I think he might fall and us being lucky enough to snag him as a P.R.F.A.

It's impressive just how many times you can be wrong in one day.    You really have to work hard at it.

I'll tell you what..........   I'll do my very best to avoid to responding to you,  and hopefully you'll be decent enough to avoid responding to me.     That way,  no one else has to put up with us.

Oh,  as to your assertion that I wonder why so many people dislike me -- wrong again!    To be sure there are some....   but I have far more friends than I have people who dislike me....   far more.    I only told you that you weren't the first person who I rubbed the wrong way.     You jumped to the wrong conclusion again.    As is your style.

Congrats.....

To be fair in regards to my comment about picking him up as an undrafted FA. Many/some teams wont draft players from small schools that are considered  mid round prospect players until a bit later.....At least not consistently simply because of the perceived level of competition and I believe in the 5th round range there will be better players available that have a better chance to contribute almost right away to varying degrees, Also when it gets down to about the 5th round thats really when it becomes a real crapshoot on whether you will be drafted or not, After the first 3-4 rounds the draft always seems to be picking up a bit faster and you begin to hear names come off the board that most people have not really heard of...if at all

To be fair in regards to my comment about picking him up as an undrafted FA. Many teams wont draft players from small schools that are considered  mid round prospect players until a bit later.....At least not consistently simply because of the perceived level of competition and I believe in the 5th round range there will be better players available that have a better chance to contribute almost right away to varying degrees, Also when it gets down to about the 5th round thats really when it becomes a real crapshoot on whether you will be drafted or not, After the first 3-4 rounds the draft always seems to be picking up a bit faster and you begin to hear names come off the board that most people have not really heard of...if at all

Gavin.....

I'm sorry you got dragged into all this....    I was trying to be a bit more diplomatic in how things unfolded,  that's why I didn't respond directly to you....     I just responded to no one in particular.     Then, things went a bit sideways...

As for Webster....   look, anything is possible with any player. 

But I think the odds of Webster not getting drafted are incredibly small.   And if he goes undrafted, I would think it has almost nothing to do with the school he comes from (look at Pierre Desir, he's going to be gone by the end of the 3rd round)...   if Webster is not taken odds are there would be something we wouldn't know anything about....   an injury that gets red-flagged by doctors, or something unpleasant in his private background report...   to me that would be the type of thing that would make an athlete of his caliber go undrafted.

Otherwise, I expect to hear his name called on the 3rd day.....

Again....   sorry you caught some of the flak here....

Gavin.....

I'm sorry you got dragged into all this....    I was trying to be a bit more diplomatic in how things unfolded,  that's why I didn't respond directly to you....     I just responded to no one in particular.     Then, things went a bit sideways...

As for Webster....   look, anything is possible with any player. 

But I think the odds of Webster not getting drafted are incredibly small.   And if he goes undrafted, I would think it has almost nothing to do with the school he comes from (look at Pierre Desir, he's going to be gone by the end of the 3rd round)...   if Webster is not taken odds are there would be something we wouldn't know anything about....   an injury that gets red-flagged by doctors, or something unpleasant in his private background report...   to me that would be the type of thing that would make an athlete of his caliber go undrafted.

Otherwise, I expect to hear his name called on the 3rd day.....

Again....   sorry you caught some of the flak here....

your likely right, I just meant for us personally I dont think I would spend a 4th or even a 5th on him in a trade down scenario, He lacks some lower body strength to hold in contain and does not have a great first step, Not a bad one by any stretch but not one that jumps out at me

your likely right, I just meant for us personally I dont think I would spend a 4th or even a 5th on him in a trade down scenario, He lacks some lower body strength to hold in contain and does not have a great first step, Not a bad one by any stretch but not one that jumps out at me

Oh, for the Colts?    I agree completely, but that's because if he's a tight end,  I don't want to spend a 4 or 5 or 6 on him, and if he's an OLB,  I'm not sure he's what we're looking for?     And he's certainly not a 3-4 DE,  he's about 35 pounds too light for that.

So,  I'm not sure he's a good fit for the Colts.    On that we agree....

It's impressive just how many times you can be wrong in one day.    You really have to work hard at it.

I'll tell you what..........   I'll do my very best to avoid to responding to you,  and hopefully you'll be decent enough to avoid responding to me.     That way,  no one else has to put up with us.

Oh,  as to your assertion that I wonder why so many people dislike me -- wrong again!    To be sure there are some....   but I have far more friends than I have people who dislike me....   far more.    I only told you that you weren't the first person who I rubbed the wrong way.     You jumped to the wrong conclusion again.    As is your style.

Congrats.....

You're more than likely right about him being picked along 5th-7th. I was just hoping maybe he free falls to us as a P.R.F.A. It's possible, since he does come from a tiny school and with no true position. I still view him as a project though.

You're more than likely right about him being picked along 5th-7th. I was just hoping maybe he free falls to us as a P.R.F.A. It's possible, since he does come from a tiny school and with no true position. I still view him as a project though.

he could be a good UDFA but that is based soley on his measurables.  Not many on this thread want to admit it but I will, I've never watched a game of Bloomsburg football in my life. 

But I have watched enough drafts over the years to say with a fair amount of certainty that a guy who:

• Only played college football for 2 years
  • Comes from a DIV II school
  • Probably will not play the same position in the NFL
  • Has a lot to learn about any position he may play in the NFL
  • Has good but not eye popping measurables

probably will not be drafted before the 5th round and will probably fall pretty easily to the 7th round or UDFA.