Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

pass rush

OLD FAN MAN

Someone better help Mathis he'll be getting a LOT of attention coming off his 19.5 sacks last season,,,,,,,,,,,Adongo may step it up and be a real goos player don't be surprised,,,,,,,,,,,Also he has the physical tools he I think jiust needs a little more playing time and he'll be a real find of Grigsom's.

Mathis got all the attention last season and still got his.

The Colts don't get ANY push up the middle..    I think Jones can provide that.    NO pass rush is consistent without a consistent push up hte gut.    It is what makes a GREAT pass rush.

Jones was Baltimore's best lineman last season.     

I agree..   the Jones signing may prove to be bigger than many think.

Yup with a guy by the name of Arthur Jones, He is gonna prove to be a huge asset to this defense. 

We've had this argument before. I know you aren't a Freeney fan. I was. I've made my opinion known about how I felt about Freeney before. No way could you give Hughes snaps over either Freeney or Mathis. As I've said before, Freeney had every pass rush move under the sun and teams had to game plan for him. He atleast made the defense account for him on every passing situation. I'll admit he didn't stop the run. But the kind of dynamic pass rushing skills that Freeney had is something that only a couple of other players in the league had. Mathis was the same way and I'll definitely give Robert props on his transition to the Rush LB position. Hughes may have had a nice year in Buffalo but his overall skills were no where near Mathis's skills as both a pass rusher and an overall LB

I think the arguement many had was when the team was cleaning house...and getting rid of a lot of large contracts (including PM) that many felt it made sense to cut loose Freeney who didn't fit into our scheme that last season. It would have opened up a playing time for Hughes and perhaps we would still have him or he would have played well. After all paying Freeney it was like over 15 million was plain crazy. A player on that size contract on a rebuilding team...thats a prime candidate to either be extend him and lower his cap hit or one you cut. (I'm not sure perhaps a 4-3 teams would have traded a late pick for him...perhaps 6th or 7th rounder but doubtful) What would have happened is that we would have opened up a lot more cap space and could have re-signed Garcon or other players to build around but the money was more or less wasted many felt on Freeney playing out of position. Interesting enough Peyton's cap hit and Freeney's were very similar and we could have kept Peyton to let him recover and then when it was evident he was healthy....it could have set up a scenerio to trade him instead of just cutting but that's a long shot. More likely we just would have got some players to help us that first year...likely on defense or our OL.

Neverttheless it would have been nice to have seen Hughes get more run that year...but I suspect he was a malcontent off the field with his playing time...that and he was a Polian guy...we know how sucky his drafts were...right????

I think the arguement many had was when the team was cleaning house...and getting rid of a lot of large contracts (including PM) that many felt it made sense to cut loose Freeney who didn't fit into our scheme that last season. It would have opened up a playing time for Hughes and perhaps we would still have him or he would have played well. After all paying Freeney it was like over 15 million was plain crazy. A player on that size contract on a rebuilding team...thats a prime candidate to either be extend him and lower his cap hit or one you cut. (I'm not sure perhaps a 4-3 teams would have traded a late pick for him...perhaps 6th or 7th rounder but doubtful) What would have happened is that we would have opened up a lot more cap space and could have re-signed Garcon or other players to build around but the money was more or less wasted many felt on Freeney playing out of position. Interesting enough Peyton's cap hit and Freeney's were very similar and we could have kept Peyton to let him recover and then when it was evident he was healthy....it could have set up a scenerio to trade him instead of just cutting but that's a long shot. More likely we just would have got some players to help us that first year...likely on defense or our OL.

Neverttheless it would have been nice to have seen Hughes get more run that year...but I suspect he was a malcontent off the field with his playing time...that and he was a Polian guy...we know how sucky his drafts were...right????

It was no secret that the Colts were trying to trade Freeney. They would have taken any draft pick but there were no takers on that huge contract. When he signed with the Chargers he played 4 games and had 1 tackle and 1/2 sack.