Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

denver and new england

You need to look at their deals again. They will not have more money then Indy unless Grigs goes on a silly spending spree.

He is actually correct. The Talib deal is basically a one year deal for $12 million. All of the guaranteed money is in the first year. Ware's contract is also friendly and is basically a two year deal. Ward they got for a song.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is actually correct. The Talib deal is basically a one year deal for $12 million. All of the guaranteed money is in the first year. Ware's contract is also friendly and is basically a two year deal. Ward they got for a song.

talib got 26 million in guarantees

lol. Talib's deal is not one year. He got 26 mil guaranteed. Like I said, check the deals again ... and don't forget they will need to replace Manning and are not apt to get anyone close to Luck's level on a rookie contract.

lol. Talib's deal is not one year. He got 26 mil guaranteed. Like I said, check the deals again ... and don't forget they will need to replace Manning and are not apt to get anyone close to Luck's level on a rookie contract.

talibs deal is basically a 3 year 26 million dollar contract. He will never see the final three years

I saw we do not. You plan to lose to what may be the weakest team in the AFC north but win against the rest. I see no reason to think the Colts can beat the Ravens and the Bengals. No, honestly we should not sweep the AFC South again. I expect to lose at least one to the Texans and a second to the Texans or the Titans or Jags. I think we will be 4-2. I would not be surprised to be 5-1 but I would be shocked to see 6-0 again. I also do not see the Colts beating the Giants, Cowboys and Redskins. I think we lose at least one of those three games if not two. We have no offensive line. Luck is still going to be battered and the opponents are still going to run the defense crazy. We gave up 80 points in two playoff games. An aging linebacker and a less than elite defensive lineman will not solve that problem.

You have to be the most pessimistic poster I have seen on these boards. Are you even a Colts fan?

all of the guaranteed money is in the first three years. So no cap hits if he is released after the third year

The guarantees are just over 3 years? That is strange. I would have thought Denver would have wanted to spread it out more to lessen the hits over the six years. We'll see if he manages to play more than his 10 game year average or the post-season. Part of building a great team is not just managing the cap but making smart deals for players who can contribute over the life of the contract. We'll see if either Talib or Ware can do that. I would take the Colts team and cap situation any day over Denver's.

You have to be the most pessimistic poster I have seen on these boards. Are you even a Colts fan?

Yes, but I try to keep at least one foot on the ground. I am not pessimistic. I think they are doing great and will continue to do so. Do I think they are a top five team in the NFL or a Super Bowl contender? No, but I don't expect them to be either. If they get to the playoffs with this bunch I will consider it well done.

The guarantees are just over 3 years? That is strange. I would have thought Denver would have wanted to spread it out more to lessen the hits over the six years. We'll see if he manages to play more than his 10 game year average or the post-season. Part of building a great team is not just managing the cap but making smart deals for players who can contribute over the life of the contract. We'll see if either Talib or Ware can do that. I would take the Colts team and cap situation any day over Denver's.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/03/13/details-aqib-talibs-contract/26669/

Yes, but I try to keep at least one foot on the ground. I am not pessimistic. I think they are doing great and will continue to do so. Do I think they are a top five team in the NFL or a Super Bowl contender? No, but I don't expect them to be either. If they get to the playoffs with this bunch I will consider it well done.

Are you joking? They were one win away from the final four last year with a boat load of injuries and now you don't think the playoffs are a reasonable expectation? Who wins the division? The Texans??

How are they going to be able to keep their young players when Demaryius Thomas, Julius Thomas have to be signed next year. Those are going to be mega contracts. Julius may be OK due to him listed as a TE, but he will want WR money. Plus I believe Vonn Miller is going to have to be paid in 2015. After next season, Manning, and the two Thomases will take up about 1/3 of their cap. Peyton, 20M, D.Thomas will get franchise money for a WR, which at the end of next yr. will be 13M, and Julius will get at least the franchise TE money, 8M. Now it depends on how they structure it, but 41 against a cap I expect at 140 is alot. Now put in the high priced players they signed for two years down the line. Their contracts, Ware, Talib are structured towards the first year, so they are going to have to make some tough decisions. They won't be able to hang onto all the talent after this year. They are pushing their chips in to this year!

They are in much better shape than you seem to believe. If the cap stays the same as this year and DOES NOT go up, they will have over $40 million next year...but some reports say the cap may go up by nearly $15 million...but they are actually managing their cap very well if you look at the deals. Plus they have a 5th year option on Von Miller, so he will only be at $8 million in 2015.

Are you joking? They were one win away from the final four last year with a boat load of injuries and now you don't think the playoffs are a reasonable expectation? Who wins the division? The Texans??

No, I am not joking. The defense gave up 80 points in two games in the playoffs. They are "slightly" improved but not greatly. They added an aging linebacker who may not even be good at stopping the run and a good but not elite defensive lineman. Even with the returns from injury this means the defense is dubious. You were one win away from the final four last year because you went 6-0 in a very weak division and only 5-5 outside of it. I look for them to be 4-2 in the division this year, perhaps 5-1 if they are very lucky. I think they will lose to Denver and NE. I also think they will lose two games to the AFC North and 1 or 2 games against the NFC East. That makes them 10-6 at best and 8-8 at worst. They have played way over their heads for the last two year and the front office knows it. That is why they are so active in free agency. They are short two high draft picks so I don't expect much from that. Yes, I think the Texans will challenge for the division and they will certainly beat the Colts once and perhaps twice.

No, I am not joking. The defense gave up 80 points in two games in the playoffs. They are "slightly" improved but not greatly. They added an aging linebacker who may not even be good at stopping the run and a good but not elite defensive lineman. Even with the returns from injury this means the defense is dubious. You were one win away from the final four last year because you went 6-0 in a very weak division and only 5-5 outside of it. I look for them to be 4-2 in the division this year, perhaps 5-1 if they are very lucky. I think they will lose to Denver and NE. I also think they will lose two games to the AFC North and 1 or 2 games against the NFC East. That makes them 10-6 at best and 8-8 at worst. They have played way over their heads for the last two year and the front office knows it. That is why they are so active in free agency. They are short two high draft picks so I don't expect much from that. Yes, I think the Texans will challenge for the division and they will certainly beat the Colts once and perhaps twice.

please explain how the Texans are better than they were last year?

please explain how the Texans are better than they were last year?

Well, first, they were not nearly as bad as they showed last year. They get Foster back and healthy and some other players back. They have a new highly regarded coach. They are going to have a new starting QB he may come in the draft or he may not. They pick first in every round. If they add Clowney as I think they will, they will have the best pass rush in football and people won't be able to doubleteam Watt. They be the most destructive and disruptive defense in the entire NFL. I look for them to come back hard and finish around 10-6 or about the same as the Colts. I am not alone in this thought there are many expert who expect this kind of bounce back. They have far more talent than the Indy team that went 2-14 and bounced back or the KC team that did the same thing. Luck on the Colts gets them to the playoffs and that is about it. Put him on that team and they will be talking Super Bowl contender. There is more than one way to build a team and I think the Texans will follow the lead of the Seahawks and 49ers.

what does that have to do with next years cap? You were the one that said check the contracts

Because it is silly to say Denver is in X shape and Colts are in Y shape when FA for this season just began less than a week ago. And there is more to contracts then just the numbers. There is value. I think Denver will get hosed on their deals with Talib and Ware so whether they are under the cap more then the Colts is irrelevant. Value of deals is what wins the day. But I bet you already knew this. 

What day is it March 16? Is the off-season over or did it just begin 5 days ago?

You asked/commented about NEXT YEARS cap...did you forget? Lol As of now, Indy will have roughly $30 million and Denver will have roughly $40 million. New England, however, will be right up against the cap.

Because it is silly to say Denver is in X shape and Colts are in Y shape when FA for this season just began less than a week ago. And there is more to contracts then just the numbers. There is value. I think Denver will get hosed on their deals with Talib and Ware so whether they are under the cap more then the Colts is irrelevant. Value of deals is what wins the day. But I bet you already knew this.

I would not have wanted the colts to pay ware. But the ward and talib contracts were good ones

Some people can't understand that these teams have cap experts that know how to structure contracts. Denver is basically in the same situation as us because they have a ton of rookie contracts. They have done a wonderful job with their cap. People just don't understand that you can make big free agent signings and structure them in such a way as to protect your salary cap. We are trying to build with younger pieces, building blocks. Denver has them already and is trying basically putting the icing on their cake. Sure they have only a year or two with this current team but it isn't like they will lose their building blocks after the next couple years. They will still have DT, JT, and Miller. No they won't have an Andrew Luck but I'm sure they feel that Brock Osweiler will be ready to go by then. It isn't like they don't have a plan. Would be surprised to see them stay a playoff team but no reason to believe they wouldn't be an 8-8 team that would then rebuild around that core. As contracts go, all 3 of Ware, Talib, and Wards are very cap friendly and fit EXACTLY what they need. A lot of the money on these contracts will never be realized and they can easily walk away from. 

We just have a lot of jealous people on this board that they were able to go out after being a great team and get better...it doesn't seem fair that they can do this but they are really really young outside Peyton and Welker basically. NE has done a great job with their cap as well so they've upgraded too....SBs don't come easy....this is why there is no assurance we ever win another even with AL. We may win 3 or 4 or may never get there....all 32 teams are trying to do the same thing. I do think we are building things the right way long term...and hopefully a couple of these signings will pan out to be our next pro bowlers but there is always going to be teams pushing all in...and we are always going to have a big challenge to win it all.

You asked/commented about NEXT YEARS cap...did you forget? Lol As of now, Indy will have roughly $30 million and Denver will have roughly $40 million. New England, however, will be right up against the cap.

Exactly. It is March 16. Let's see where we are at the end of the off-season and what value each team got for their deals.

I would not have wanted the colts to pay ware. But the ward and talib contracts were good ones

I would have liked all three...well I like Davis long term over Talib...but those contracts were all excellent for Denver. People get all hurt when they find out that yes...you can make big moves and still be smart and financially sound. The issue Denver faces...injuries...because they will be thin if they have key injuries...but injuries hit everyone..just not equally. If Ware and Talib are healthy late in the season...thats scary come playoff time. I still think they need another CB, MLB, G.....and you can't count the draft to fill those...for a team all in you can't leave anything to chance. I look for them to look at  1 yr deals at those positions and then draft picks to fill them long term.

Exactly. It is March 16. Let's see where we are at the end of the off-season and what value each team got for their deals.

No one knows what will happen....you made comments that they are financially bad moves...and everyone has shown you that simply isn't the case...they are actually great financial moves...it is yet to be seen if they work out on the field....but that could be said for ours too. Don't get hurt when someone teaches you something...you should say thank you for educating me. I'm wrong many times and I will admit it and show appreciation for someone showing me what's right. Now you don't have to go around repeating your ill-informed opinion and can have intelligent conversation with your friends who might even have the same ill-informed information.

No one knows what will happen....you made comments that they are financially bad moves...and everyone has shown you that simply isn't the case...they are actually great financial moves...it is yet to be seen if they work out on the field....but that could be said for ours too. Don't get hurt when someone teaches you something...you should say thank you for educating me. I'm wrong many times and I will admit it and show appreciation for someone showing me what's right. Now you don't have to go around repeating your ill-informed opinion and can have intelligent conversation with your friends who might even have the same ill-informed information.

I am supposed to appreciate your condescending tone? lol. Perhaps you missed where I said deals are not just about the money but the value. If you think the Talib and Ware deals are good moves than more power to you. I don't. And both are critical to Denver's defensive success.

Denver and NE still blows...

I love my Colts too...sucks watching these guys get all this pub. That said I am happy for Peyton that his owner and GM are going all in to give him a shot to win it all. How many teams have you seen a team strut out their legend/star with no shot at winning. They throw them out there to sell seats and tv but its all fake. At least Denver is making good on their promise to him and that means a lot...and you see why vets like Ware are willing to go there. I'm glad Peyton is getting a chance to win as opposed to languishing with some dysfunctional organization like Miami or someone.

I love my Colts too...sucks watching these guys get all this pub. That said I am happy for Peyton that his owner and GM are going all in to give him a shot to win it all. How many teams have you seen a team strut out their legend/star with no shot at winning. They throw them out there to sell seats and tv but its all fake. At least Denver is making good on their promise to him and that means a lot...and you see why vets like Ware are willing to go there. I'm glad Peyton is getting a chance to win as opposed to languishing with some dysfunctional organization like Miami or someone.

Not every Colts fans loves Denver/Manning.

You need to look at their deals again. They will not have more money then Indy unless Grigs goes on a silly spending spree.

I apologize but it seemed you were implying that they would be cap strung...and that simply isn't the case. Someone posted the numbers giving you the facts showing your error. I have nothing to do with this other than pointing out I am thankful when someone educates me on such things. All I was saying is that I think you should appreciate other posters that work hard to help educate you with the truth. I just thought you would want to thank them. I don't have time to look all over the net and get all the details and I'm very thankful when someone steps up and gives me the details. I don't like sounding dumb so having the correct information to help me make educated opinions and statements are important to me. I'm wrong often on here and I appreciate someone helping me out. This wasn't about an opinion...of course there are times I feel things and others can't change that...but this was a factual thing.

Elway is definitely all in for the win. Gotta respect that. But as a Cts fan I hope it doesn't work out and we kick their teeth in ;)

Not every Colts fans loves Denver/Manning.

I don't love Denver...could care less about that team. I do root for players that have meant a ton to me and I don't quit liking them because of a team. Guys of upstanding character and values...these are guys that I want my children and young people to model themselves after I'm going to root for. I still root for my Colts to win it all...but if one of these guys has a shot it's a natural things to want good things for them. Regardless of the team there are players I root for when the situation occurs...and any fan of football would find it difficult to not root for these types of men/players with the exception of maybe playing against their favorite team. I'm not the type of person to be negative...I try to look for things to like and root for.....for lack of better words I'm not a hater. I like being positive and at the end of the day I feel better.

Well, first, they were not nearly as bad as they showed last year. They get Foster back and healthy and some other players back. They have a new highly regarded coach. They are going to have a new starting QB he may come in the draft or he may not. They pick first in every round. If they add Clowney as I think they will, they will have the best pass rush in football and people won't be able to doubleteam Watt. They be the most destructive and disruptive defense in the entire NFL. I look for them to come back hard and finish around 10-6 or about the same as the Colts. I am not alone in this thought there are many expert who expect this kind of bounce back. They have far more talent than the Indy team that went 2-14 and bounced back or the KC team that did the same thing. Luck on the Colts gets them to the playoffs and that is about it. Put him on that team and they will be talking Super Bowl contender. There is more than one way to build a team and I think the Texans will follow the lead of the Seahawks and 49ers.

Many of the things you say about the Colts are reasonable, but until proven otherwise, the Texans are stll the Texans.  We've been hearing about Houston's "talent" for a decade. 

Did anyone else see the SB? Denver is done. Sanders in place of Decker - big decrease. Maybe Ware & Ward can help their defense, but it had to get better because it couldn't get worse. Denver is headed for salary cap hell in 1-2 years & with no Manning - their window is close to slamming shut & they know it. They will play like it too.

Now about New England. Talib for Revis is about a wash, & signing a suspended SeaHawk who is one more positive test from a year off; not that smart (the way they keep their players under tight security, like Hernandez). They have lost more than they've gained. wait, I forgot LaFell...big deal. Their window is also closing & they know it as well.

I think the Colts improved more than either, & we have the luxury of not having that slamming window syndrome. Luck will improve more this year, Manning & Brady will not...in fact it is likely they will decline. Either team is one hit on their old QB from irrelevance; our backup QB is actually better than either of these, but our QB is bigger, stronger, younger, & more durable.

The only thing in both Denver & NE's favor is home games vs. the Colts. They will be tough to beat at home & that could make a tie-breaker difference. We have to win our other 14 games.