Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Do You Rate A Drafts Success?

There is alot of decussion going around that the Colts Drafts over say the past 4-5 years have been less then steller. So I ask, how do you rate the success of a draft? How long do you give drafted players to prove themselves and do higher picks get less time and if so how much less? Within a draft of say 7 players, do you look at how many of those 7 are successful? How do you value in location in the draft? Do teams with consistant late round picks get more time with their players?

Over the past 4-5 drafts with the Colts what has stood out the most with the picks? Did the Colts reach to much? Did they always go with the best player available over the best player for what they needed? How many true "busts" over say the last 5 drafts by Bill Polian would you say there have been?

There is alot of decussion going around that the Colts Drafts over say the past 4-5 years have been less then steller. So I ask, how do you rate the success of a draft? How long do you give drafted players to prove themselves and do higher picks get less time and if so how much less? Within a draft of say 7 players, do you look at how many of those 7 are successful? How do you value in location in the draft? Do teams with consistant late round picks get more time with their players?

Over the past 4-5 drafts with the Colts what has stood out the most with the picks? Did the Colts reach to much? Did they always go with the best player available over the best player for what they needed? How many true "busts" over say the last 5 drafts by Bill Polian would you say there have been?

Fishing for another argument, hurry someone take the bait. I would bet 100 bucks he has a list ready to rebut either side.

:stir:

Fishing for another argument, hurry someone take the bait. I would bet 100 bucks he has a list ready to rebut either side.

That's like saying, I'd bet 100 bucks the Colts don't win the SB this year. lol

:dance:

Edited by Jason

You grade the prospects by how closely they line up to the ball prior to the snap. Castanzo and ijalana are both OT's so they get an A- (OC gets A+ and OG gets an A). Chris Rucker is a CB so, based on where he would line up he would get anywhere from a B to an F. Based on where CB's have been lining up for the Colts I think it would lean closer to F but I'll be nice and give him a D. Carter is a RB so he lines up 5-7 yards from the ball each snap. That's a D+ in my book. Nevis lines up typically over the OG so he gets an A. So you have:

A-

A-

D

D+

A

This comes out to a B- average. Then you divide by 0 and you find out the whole draft was a bust.

***Sidenote...this formula has come under great scrutiny of late due to the fact the only way to get an A+ overall draft grade is to draft all Centers or Nose Tackles. This gives the A+ average but still when you divide by 0, the draft still turns into a bust so many fans are unhappy with this formula and are seeking alternatives.

Edited by Jason