Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Denvers Wolfe & Harris to IR, bring up ex Pat CB, Marquice Cole & OT from practice squad

bayone

Was hoping wolfe would make it baack, but as still have Rahim Moore as active there is hope for him but not sure what his timetable is since setback a month ago, may only be hoping for SB if get AFC Champ win

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Broncos have signed cornerback Marquice Cole and added Vinston Painter to the active roster from the team’s practice squad, the team announced on Tuesday.

Cole has played 64 career games and totaled 36 tackles with four interceptions and 14 pass breakups to go with 51 special-teams stops. The fifth-year cornerback has spent the last two seasons with New England, where he made 10 tackles with one interception and three pass breakups for the Patriots this season. New England released the veteran cornerback on Dec. 26.

Cole owns eight games of postseason experience, having tallied five tackles on defense and five on special teams.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Wolfe-Harris-Jr-to-IR-Two-Players-Signed/47d7a069-966a-48ab-8364-f1c7f35aa906

Be kind of ironic is Cole was a difference maker against his former team.    Stranger things have happened in the playoffs. Time will tell the game is getting closer. :excited:

he may have some insight but probably their for more depth , but u never know, good chance he plays some special teams though and may spell aa CB from it to protect that CB from injury. REally no idea

This is in the same vein as the Colts signing Branch who I don't believe ever played. Interesting as I think teams are trying to get a beat on the Pats given how much they have changed the last month. Cole was not a very good DB for us hence why he is gone. Doubt he sees the field for Denver except for STs maybe unless they are really thin at DB which could be the case.

Lot of players are cut coz they dont fit the scheme and play better in other teams.

Same thing with defensive tackle Siliga ( i am sure i spelled it wrong ) who is playing for run defense for Patriots. He was cut by Broncos.

Point is, it is irrelevant of why they were cut.

He may never see the field or he may. Its just a short time to learn a new system. He is signed purely coz of banged up secondary not to find about Patriots. He just happens to be a former patriot.

This is in the same vein as the Colts signing Branch who I don't believe ever played. Interesting as I think teams are trying to get a beat on the Pats given how much they have changed the last month. Cole was not a very good DB for us hence why he is gone. Doubt he sees the field for Denver except for STs maybe unless they are really thin at DB which could be the case.

They are really thin.

CB Harris was put on IR after the SD game - HUGE loss. SD was completely throttled until Harris went out, then they gave up 17 points while looking largely helpless afterwards.

Jammer looked horrible in trying to replace Harris. Webster has been slow to come back from a hand injury - hasn't played since 12/12 - and he's a rookie who was chewed up by Brady in the first match-up. Carter hasn't played much since getting lit up earlier in the year.

Thankfully Bailey is finally playing again, but they've been working him back in at the nickel in limited duty. No clue whether he can play either full time or outside.

Safety isn't much better. One starter and one backup are on IR, another has been battling injuries, another really only excels on special teams, another only stays in long enough to make a bone-headed play and then gets yanked, another has been on the team for about ten minutes.

By the way, four of the original starting front seven are also on IR, and another's now a reserve after his performance declined following an injury. NE's defense isn't the only one that's had a rough year.

They are really thin.

CB Harris was put on IR after the SD game - HUGE loss. SD was completely throttled until Harris went out, then they gave up 17 points while looking largely helpless afterwards.

Jammer looked horrible in trying to replace Harris. Webster has been slow to come back from a hand injury - hasn't played since 12/12 - and he's a rookie who was chewed up by Brady in the first match-up. Carter hasn't played much since getting lit up earlier in the year.

Thankfully Bailey is finally playing again, but they've been working him back in at the nickel in limited duty. No clue whether he can play either full time or outside.

Safety isn't much better. One starter and one backup are on IR, another has been battling injuries, another really only excels on special teams, another only stays in long enough to make a bone-headed play and then gets yanked, another has been on the team for about ten minutes.

By the way, four of the original starting front seven are also on IR, and another's now a reserve after his performance declined following an injury. NE's defense isn't the only one that's had a rough year.

u often say whatss on my mind and would take me forever to write it and in the end probably not make as much of a succinct point

have a good day, bye

They are really thin.

Thank you for that summary. I knew Denver was banged up in the secondary but didn't realize it was that extensive. I have been thinking heading into this game that the Pats may pass more then they have the last month. Brady did light it up last time in the second half although he had Gronk then and his other rookie receivers. But he has had a lot of success vs Del Rio in the past. Still, it will be tough for NEs D to slow down Denver's O who was missing Julius Thomas last time.

Cole is not a very good DB though so I have to think it was more for intelligence but maybe they do foresee using in certain packages just to have a body out there.

Thank you for that summary. I knew Denver was banged up in the secondary but didn't realize it was that extensive. I have been thinking heading into this game that the Pats may pass more then they have the last month. Brady did light it up last time in the second half although he had Gronk then and his other rookie receivers. But he has had a lot of success vs Del Rio in the past. Still, it will be tough for NEs D to slow down Denver's O who was missing Julius Thomas last time.

Cole is not a very good DB though so I have to think it was more for intelligence but maybe they do foresee using in certain packages just to have a body out there.

took 1 last look  before out the door

Wasnt that the game later in 2nd half kronk got hurt not sure

but as far as lightning it up in 2nd half,   ,thats when DRC went down at end of first half that allowed that, now its same except many say Harris was best corner so Yeh advantages swing daily, lets see if anyone gets injured in practice

Rahim Moore who they though would be back last wek haad setback last few weeks of season & his injury, as it involves blood supllying quad muscles u just cant say grin and bear the pain, that was a limb saving diagnosis and surgery

OK out the door

I should have stopped to pat CB Dominic Rodgers-Cromartie on the back. He's been terrific. Considering how vulnerable the rest of the core is, the question is which Pat receiver you put him on. "Mile High Report" had an article debating same. Unless Bailey and/or Webster comes back strong, they may not be able to get off the field on third down unless they get to Brady. And of course they don't have Miller so that's harder than it used to be.

They HAVE been getting pressure from other places - they have a lot of depth up front - but you have to guess that there will be more gambling to protect the secondary. Vereen/Edelman 20 catches for first downs? Do the Pats have the skill players left to make the Broncos pay a big price for rolling the dice? 

I should have stopped to pat CB Dominic Rodgers-Cromartie on the back. He's been terrific. Considering how vulnerable the rest of the core is, the question is which Pat receiver you put him on. "Mile High Report" had an article debating same. Unless Bailey and/or Webster comes back strong, they may not be able to get off the field on third down unless they get to Brady. And of course they don't have Miller so that's harder than it used to be.

They HAVE been getting pressure from other places - they have a lot of depth up front - but you have to guess that there will be more gambling to protect the secondary. Vereen/Edelman 20 catches for first downs? Do the Pats have the skill players left to make the Broncos pay a big price for rolling the dice? 

Excellent question. To be honest I am not sure. I do think Endleman and Amendola can make the Denver secondary pay. Endleman had a monster game last time. I do like Vareen as well just because he is such a mis-match. I am waiting to see if Dobson comes back as well. He is tall (6'3) burner on the outside that would really help open things up if he is there but he has had a nagging foot injury for a month now and did not practice at all last week and was ruled out. The fact that the Pats have not put him on IR yet gives me hope but I would be anxious to see if he practices today. The other WR would be Thompkins who left the Colts game with a concussion but he has cooled off the last half of the season after looking really good the first half.

People have made a big deal out of the weather favoring the Broncos but honestly I think it favors the Pats more just because I think they will need pass in this game to keep it close.

How do you think the Pats run game stacks up against Denver's front? They did a nice job stopping Matthews and Woodhead but the Pats have a lot more to offer from that position than an injured Matthews and Woodhead IMO.

Excellent question. To be honest I am not sure. I do think Endleman and Amendola can make the Denver secondary pay. Endleman had a monster game last time. I do like Vareen as well just because he is such a mis-match. I am waiting to see if Dobson comes back as well. He is tall (6'3) burner on the outside that would really help open things up if he is there but he has had a nagging foot injury for a month now and did not practice at all last week and was ruled out. The fact that the Pats have not put him on IR yet gives me hope but I would be anxious to see if he practices today. The other WR would be Thompkins who left the Colts game with a concussion but he has cooled off the last half of the season after looking really good the first half.

People have made a big deal out of the weather favoring the Broncos but honestly I think it favors the Pats more just because I think they will need pass in this game to keep it close.

How do you think the Pats run game stacks up against Denver's front? They did a nice job stopping Matthews and Woodhead but the Pats have a lot more to offer from that position than an injured Matthews and Woodhead IMO.

I had read as much about their receivers. If Dobson plays I wonder if you have to put DRC on him - which would help the others enormously. Could be a deciding factor.

The Pats run game certainly scares me a lot more than the Chargers. The Broncos were excellent against the run before Vickerson went out. They have compensated partially by asking more of first round pick Williams - and he's been improving but he's smaller than "big vick". There have also been suggestions that that's why they've stopped using banged up LB Woodyard as much - because MLB Paris Lenin is better against the run. That's fantastic if you know that the opposition is going to be predictably emphasizing the run, but it makes me wonder why a smart team wouldn't simply say "Lenin's in the game, check to a pass and force him to cover." Obviously the Pats are a smart team.

The Broncos didn't just stop the Chargers run game, they shut down their whole offense for three quarters (until Harris got hurt). They only ran 18 times despite seeming to commit to it. I don't know what happens if they play a better running team that just keeps pounding away. That's where 79 yard late game TDs come from. It will be fascinating to see if the Pats simply try to run even if the Broncos prove themselves able to move the ball - which you have to think they will. Of course that may depend on how physical the refs let the CBs play. Round and round you go.

I think that, if there's an injury, they'll use him...against people he's practiced against..

He's just there if there's an injury...but that happens..and you want to put a vet in there..not a rookie.

Its as good n emergency pickup as you can do...

Late in the game...if Denver leads..they'll need 5 or 6 DBs...

But Denver has no pass rush without blitzing....they have to make the ball come out quickly

They are really thin.

I wouldn't use Webster much in a game like this..

Jammer has to be better than he was last week...

It comes down to Champ Bailey....I don't know whether he stays on the slot man or moves back outside but he has to turn back the clock for one afternoon and neutralize his man.....

I don't see NE trying to milk the clock like SD did vs. the Broncos......the better matchup is in the air...and Denver has some older defensive players who also tire as the game goes on..

But its going to be high scoring....... NE has not faced the full Denver offense yet on a windless day

It comes down to Champ Bailey....I don't know whether he stays on the slot man or moves back outside but he has to turn back the clock for one afternoon and neutralize his man.....

I don't see NE trying to milk the clock like SD did vs. the Broncos......the better matchup is in the air...and Denver has some older defensive players who also tire as the game goes on..

But its going to be high scoring....... NE has not faced the full Denver offense yet on a windless day

I largely agree - and the only way they hold the Broncos to under 30 something points is if they try to control the clock - which may be counterproductive.

I like Webster a lot. Brady picked on him last time and he's been injured, but he also has skills and is an aggressive playmaker and tackler. Wouldn't it be nice if they try to pick on him again, and he "picks" them instead? I think that he HAS to play a roll - Jammer is just too darn slow at this point. And the article I mentioned suggests that Bailey may serve them better in the slot considering the receivers available - but I'd add that if it turns into a shootout that may still be a full-time job.

Jammer seem frighteningly slow... I agree

I would even break it down to using some guys in the middle of the field and the older guys in red zone situations..where there's less field to cover

I might use Webster when NE is backed up in their own end because he can run with guys...

....I've been thinking late in the year that TV time outs and challenges..help Denver which has older defensive

guys like Champ and Lenon and Jammer and a couple others on the field

....But somebody in the Denver secondary has to catch the ball..which has been a big problem...

Big picture....Denver, with all four receivers and bot RBs ready...and a healthy O-line..on a perfect weather day... has to wear out the NE defense....

Denver will blitz and when Brady makes the are bad throw....Denver has to catch it .....

I had read as much about their receivers. If Dobson plays I wonder if you have to put DRC on him - which would help the others enormously. Could be a deciding factor.

The Pats run game certainly scares me a lot more than the Chargers. The Broncos were excellent against the run before Vickerson went out. They have compensated partially by asking more of first round pick Williams - and he's been improving but he's smaller than "big vick". There have also been suggestions that that's why they've stopped using banged up LB Woodyard as much - because MLB Paris Lenin is better against the run. That's fantastic if you know that the opposition is going to be predictably emphasizing the run, but it makes me wonder why a smart team wouldn't simply say "Lenin's in the game, check to a pass and force him to cover." Obviously the Pats are a smart team.

The Broncos didn't just stop the Chargers run game, they shut down their whole offense for three quarters (until Harris got hurt). They only ran 18 times despite seeming to commit to it. I don't know what happens if they play a better running team that just keeps pounding away. That's where 79 yard late game TDs come from. It will be fascinating to see if the Pats simply try to run even if the Broncos prove themselves able to move the ball - which you have to think they will. Of course that may depend on how physical the refs let the CBs play. Round and round you go.

Hope Helpfull, havn't had a chance to read anything else

here was Mile High Reports analysis encase u guys didnt see it, 

how to use what Bronco CB where pending on what Pat  WR corp is healthy & package is in for Pats, but concludes keep Champ @ slot

http://forums.colts.com/topic/25797-how-to-use-what-bronco-cb-where-pending-on-what-wr-corp-is-healthy-package-is-in-for-pats-but-concludes-keep-champ-slot/