Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hire Peyton Manning

Rob Lowe

My opinion on Peyton's post-retirement football future in descending order of likelihood.

Minority owner of a NFL franchise.

TV commentator. I think Peyton would make a great color commentator that can really break the game down like John Madden used.

Coach. I think he would start out at OC/QB coach, before moving up to HC. I don't mean this disrespectfully, but I don't believe that a man with his ego would take anything less than OC. However, it would be foolhardy for any club to hire him as HC before his has proven himself an effective coach.

TV analyst. He'd be better than a lot of the guys on NFL Live, or Sunday NFL Countdown.

GM. As far as evaluating talent he'd be amazing. I have know idea if he has the mind for business to manage salary cap and negotiations.

Unless Aikman, Simms, Gruden, or Collinsworth are ready to give up their seats I don't see Manning in a booth.  He wont be on a "B" crew per say I could see him being added to someone's studio lineup though as you said.  Fox's pretty full and I don't think he'll do cable so that leaves NBC and CBS.  If say the chin were to go back into coaching Manning could slide in there because I am not sure NBC would have two ex-Colts on their desk at the sametime. 

That's if he does the NFL.  His dad does the SEC games on CBS now and then Manning might do college and that opens up a whole other world. 

I could also see him going into ownership.  I've always gotten the impression he's going to settle in Tennessee when he's done and I think his wife already owns part of the Grizzles.  He might up that to full ownership or see if he can get buy the Titans. 

Manning has way too much money and is too smart to take a job like a GM or Coach where he could end up fired. 

When Peyton retires, I hope the Colts hire him, but his talents would be wasted as a QB coach.  He should immediately be hired as a head coach or GM.  Personally, I think he'll go into broadcasting.

I think he'll retire from football but won't retire from selling pizza, cars and anything else he can.

Unless Aikman, Simms, Gruden, or Collinsworth are ready to give up their seats I don't see Manning in a booth.  He wont be on a "B" crew per say I could see him being added to someone's studio lineup though as you said.  Fox's pretty full and I don't think he'll do cable so that leaves NBC and CBS.  If say the chin were to go back into coaching Manning could slide in there because I am not sure NBC would have two ex-Colts on their desk at the sametime. 

That's if he does the NFL.  His dad does the SEC games on CBS now and then Manning might do college and that opens up a whole other world. 

I could also see him going into ownership.  I've always gotten the impression he's going to settle in Tennessee when he's done and I think his wife already owns part of the Grizzles.  He might up that to full ownership or see if he can get buy the Titans. 

Manning has way too much money and is too smart to take a job like a GM or Coach where he could end up fired. 

Wasn't there talk/rumors/speculation when Manning was deciding which team he was going to go that Elway is part of a group that wants to buy an NFL franchise at some point; and that becoming part of that group was one of the things that helped Manning choose Denver?

There was so much media frenzy at the time it could just be in my head though.

When Peyton retires, can we agree to give him a year or two before we all start yelling to hire him? Please? It's quite possible he'll retire and want to take a job that allows him more family time, at least for a few years. He might not even take a job and just retire for a while. I think he might retire to the booth or studio for a while before going into coaching, if he decides to. I just don't think he'll necessarily want to instantly jump into something else.