Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time For Chucky

unitaswestand

I think Gruden would be the perfect coach for the Colts. He has a good offensive mind based on the west coast offense.

I enjoy his personality on tv, but don't see the benefit of bringing him to the Colts. Offense isn't our problem, and restricting Peyton to the west coast offense wouldn't be a step forward (unless his nerve doesn't regenerate and they have to restrict him to endless dumpoffs).

Yeah, he brings a very entertaining attitude, but that doesn't mean that he's a great coach - just that he can't control his emotions. That's a weakness in my opinion.

This line just disqualified you from having a real conversation on the topic.

You do realize that schemes don't ever really change, right? Maybe a few wrenches here and there, but any defense can survive in this league with the right personnel. If you want a defense to be dominant, you absolutely can't spend picks and good money on the offense. It's as simple as that. We just don't have the personnel to make it work right now. Changing the scheme would do NOTHING to improve this defense on it's own. It's all about coaching and the personnel.

People love the Packers defense because they blitz. Nothing more, nothing less. They have been pretty awful this year too, and are 30th overall in total defense.

The Steelers? Last in the league in generating turnovers, and giving up 108 yards per game on the ground. I thought they were impossible to run against...

The Ravens allowed the TERRIBLE Jaguars offense to move the ball pretty well most of the night. Ironically, it was Jacksonville running the "out-dated" Tampa 2 that shut down the 8th ranked offense of the Ravens.

How about the Chargers? Giving up 122 rushing yards per game and 23 points. Awesome having that 3-4, eh?

The Jets, loaded with defensive talent, also running that mighty 3-4, are 18th in total defense despite being relatively healthy.

Why are we last in total defense? Well, we just gave up 2 games worth of offense in one shot to the Saints (who haven't exactly been slouches this year in that category), we're loaded with injuries, and our offense goes off the field after failing on 3rd down like clockwork. They have a ton of pressure on them, as a result, and are on the field for way too long. If our offense could move the chains with regularity, and could stop fumbling, we might be able to keep them fresh.

Yeah, you are right. I am a football coach, although only at the high school level. So I guess my comment how the system is the problem disqualifies me. Bottom line is the Colts don't have the personnel to play a 3-4. So they have to play 4-3. However, IMHO they would be far better off playing more of a press or bump at the corners and have the linebackers not drop in coverage first. Cincinnati doesn't have great personnel on their defense, yet have a very highly ranked defense. Why? Their defensive scheme fits their personnel better.

So, I disagree with you. The system has everything to do with it. With the personnel on this team, the Tampa-2 doesn't work. It is like on offensive trying to run a spread offense with two good WRs. Wouldn't work well. Play to your strengths.

I disagree with the idea that we need to hire a defensive minded coach. Sean Payton was considered an offensive guru and does great stuff, but he was smart enough to bring in Williams as DC. Both Jim Mora and Tony Dungy were defensive minded coaches. Mora was before becoming a HC with the Philadelphia Stars of the USFL. I just would like to see some creativity. Belichick seems to gameplan better than about anyone. He will change that team around from week to week to combat who they are playing.

I agree with unitaswestand. We do not have the personel, imo, to run neither the 3-4 nor the tampa 2. Coyer, I believe, does not play to the strengths of the players he has on defense. The tampa 2 works, and several other teams us it, just not as a primary defense like we seem to. What I believe needs to be retired is not the tampa 2 defense...but the "bend but don't break" mentality that runs rampant through the FO and defensive coaches. Giving up ten 9 yard plays followed by a td is in no way different that one 90 yard play and a td (with the exception of time off the clock). Whoever had the idea to build a defense that is made to give up a million yards and hopefully hold them to a fg in the end needs to re-evaluate. There is absolutely no reason why our "smaller/faster" defense can't be more agressive. Especially in regards to press coverages, instead of playing a soft zone, and blitzing. Press coverage, even if you only get an extra 3 seconds before their route...that's 3 seconds Freethis has to get their job done. 10 yards off makes no sense when you rely as much as we do on pass rush.

But in staying with the thread...Gruden is greatly overestimated as a head coach. Living in St. Pete I get to experience first hand how people here think bout him. Even though he took them to a SB...the topic is generally met with disgust for tearing their once proud defense apart so he could lose the "stigma" of Dungys team and make it his. Veto Gruden. Zimm or Spags would be a welcome addition and I thoroughly like the idea of Sanders as the DB coach. Imagining a backfield army of Bob Sanders is enough to make you light headed.

Edited by Chef-Jayson

Gruden called out the colts for their bizzare use of their CB's being 10 yards off the reciever when it was 3rd and 5 or something. He would at least make some little tweeks to the defense that would improve it. I like how Gruden always blames Peyton Manning for the reason why he was fired becuase he couldn't stop him. haha

I disagree with the idea that we need to hire a defensive minded coach. Sean Payton was considered an offensive guru and does great stuff, but he was smart enough to bring in Williams as DC. Both Jim Mora and Tony Dungy were defensive minded coaches. Mora was before becoming a HC with the Philadelphia Stars of the USFL. I just would like to see some creativity. Belichick seems to gameplan better than about anyone. He will change that team around from week to week to combat who they are playing.

this. brian billick was supposed to be an offensive genius, but rode the ravens D to the super bowl. it's more about who the head coach brings with him...they do a lot more delegating than people think.

Gruden called out the colts for their bizzare use of their CB's being 10 yards off the reciever when it was 3rd and 5 or something.

My assumption has been that the Colts play like that because it best suits their personnel. In a sense it is an act of desperation, not ignorance. In at least one game they've tried to be more aggressive and the results were arguably worse.

Gruden commenting on it wasn't particularly insightful or informative. It may have been what some Colts fans want to hear (if they were complaining about the same thing), but does nothing to suggest that he would improve the situation as coach.

My assumption has been that the Colts play like that because it best suits their personnel. In a sense it is an act of desperation, not ignorance. In at least one game they've tried to be more aggressive and the results were arguably worse.

Gruden commenting on it wasn't particularly insightful or informative. It may have been what some Colts fans want to hear (if they were complaining about the same thing), but does nothing to suggest that he would improve the situation as coach.

Then who ever is in charge of brining in the talent should be fired, you're not going to win any games playing that way(unless you have Peyton). I would feel a lot better about our CB's making the other team recievers earn the 1st down, then just giving it to them. If they get beat then so be it, that just means we need to get more talented at the CB position. I think it's more of the system though if you watch the bears games( who play the same system), they give their CB's more freedom to make plays which is why Tim Jennings looks like an servicable NFL player right now. I do agree with you that Gruden commenting on that wasn't that insightful but common sence, something that Coyer seems like he doesn't have. Can you please tell me what game they tried to play more agressive, i would like to re-watch that game.

Then who ever is in charge of brining in the talent should be fired, you're not going to win any games playing that way(unless you have Peyton). I would feel a lot better about our CB's making the other team recievers earn the 1st down, then just giving it to them. If they get beat then so be it, that just means we need to get more talented at the CB position. I think it's more of the system though if you watch the bears games( who play the same system), they give their CB's more freedom to make plays which is why Tim Jennings looks like an servicable NFL player right now. I do agree with you that Gruden commenting on that wasn't that insightful but common sence, something that Coyer seems like he doesn't have. Can you please tell me what game they tried to play more agressive, i would like to re-watch that game.

I'm having trouble remembering if it was KC or Cincy. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Sure, ultimately you have to blame the FO if the personnel isn't good enough, but I wouldn't call for them to be fired for it. Don't forget that the starting secondary right now was designed to be Sanders/Bethea/Hayden/Jackson - which would have been an asset rather than a hindrance. That's three high draft picks who performed well, and are gone due to injury when they should all be in their prime. You can criticize the efforts to replace them, but don't forget that Powers isn't bad, Bullit is gone, and Thomas lost his entire rookie season due to injury as well. Thomas is now getting an opportunity and hopefully he will develop quickly, and that the other young players will pick it up a bit as well. You have to assume that it will be addressed further in the off-season.

I'm having trouble remembering if it was KC or Cincy. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Sure, ultimately you have to blame the FO if the personnel isn't good enough, but I wouldn't call for them to be fired for it. Don't forget that the starting secondary right now was designed to be Sanders/Bethea/Hayden/Jackson - which would have been an asset rather than a hindrance. That's three high draft picks who performed well, and are gone due to injury when they should all be in their prime. You can criticize the efforts to replace them, but don't forget that Powers isn't bad, Bullit is gone, and Thomas lost his entire rookie season due to injury as well. Thomas is now getting an opportunity and hopefully he will develop quickly, and that the other young players will pick it up a bit as well. You have to assume that it will be addressed further in the off-season.

I'm not blaming Powers at all for the problems, he seems to be the only solid CB we have right now. I think gutting the secondary would be a good idea once the season is over, the only young players i would keep is Lefeged, Thomas and i'm on the fence about Rucker. Rucker hasn't impressed me much but he may deserve one more chance.