Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time For Chucky

unitaswestand

I think Gruden would be the perfect coach for the Colts. He has a good offensive mind based on the west coast offense. He ran into some problems in Tampa because he maybe isn't the best personel guy. But with Polian in place, he doesn't need to be. Get rid of this vanilla offense and put in an offensive with a few more wrinkles. Look at how well his brother has done with the Bengals. I know he has long admired Peyton and would love to work with him. And he definitely brings some passion to the game.

I, personally, would prefer him over Fisher.

Whoever coaches the team, I do hope they can that Cover-2 defense. That worked fine 10 years ago when you still had many H-Backs. But with so many teams basically paying a spread offense, you it doesn't work. Too many holes underneath.

Who do you all think of Gruden as the next coach?

I am kinda unclear why Gruden gets all this love?

he had success with the raiders of all franchises....then he took a tampa team dungy consistently underachieved with and won a super bowl. i get it, people on this board hate chucky because he made dungy look bad, but that doesn't mean his isn't a good coach.

But I believe his 5 year deal has an out clause before next season. I read that somewhere.

Disagree with you on Rob Ryan. Tony Dungy was a defensive coach, and it made no difference. The system is what is bad, not the coach. The Tampa-2 is past its time.

well saint dungy is the one that brought the system.....the he and polian filled it with a bunch of tiny players.

he had success with the raiders of all franchises....then he took a tampa team dungy consistently underachieved with and won a super bowl. i get it, people on this board hate chucky because he made dungy look bad, but that doesn't mean his isn't a good coach.

My issues with Gruden have nothing to do with that superbowl. Quite the opposite. My concerns rest in what happened pretty much immediately afterwards. They looked terrible two years afterwards. I mean they had a few ok years afterwards. But very underwhelming.

Odd that's happened twice now after Dungy left a team. Both times the team ends up going to the superbowl immediately after he leaves, then in two years the wheels have completely fallen off and you can't even recognize the team that's on the field.

Well if want a "firey" guy what about Dennis Green?

Green? As long as he doesn't kick to Hester.

Ditka? No, we'd end up trading all our draft picks for the next couple of years to move up one spot to get Luck.

Gruden? Well, I guess if we're desperate for sound bites, O.K.

I prefer even tempered myself. Some emotion is fine, but not 'fiery'.

Green? As long as he doesn't kick to Hester.

Ditka? No, we'd end up trading all our draft picks for the next couple of years to move up one spot to get Luck.

Gruden? Well, I guess if we're desperate for sound bites, O.K.

I prefer even tempered myself. Some emotion is fine, but not 'fiery'.

As far as demeanor is concerned, my blueprint is Mike Tomlin. No nonsense. No nonsense. Articulate. And if he ever gets good enough to make a movie about him, you already have an actor to play him.

MikeTomlin_OmarEpps.jpg

I would like to see a defensive minded coach come in. We have ours on offense...wink wink Peyton and Clyde... so defense is the priority. A Mike Zimmer, or Rob Ryan would be good. Jerry Gray is my personal favorite, but Zimmer and Ryan are more qualified. Gray is good because he has a pretty bad defense, except for 2 players, but they're in the middle of the league. They lost Babin, and Tulloch, two of their best, but they're still good, plus their offense is playing badly. He's a pretty good head coach, but would like to see Zimmer or Ryan. So instead of John Gruden who signed a 5 year deal with ESPN, we could get:

Mike Zimmer

Rob Ryan

Jerry Gray

My issues with Gruden have nothing to do with that superbowl. Quite the opposite. My concerns rest in what happened pretty much immediately afterwards. They looked terrible two years afterwards. I mean they had a few ok years afterwards. But very underwhelming.

Odd that's happened twice now after Dungy left a team. Both times the team ends up going to the superbowl immediately after he leaves, then in two years the wheels have completely fallen off and you can't even recognize the team that's on the field.

i think the bucs unloaded sapp and john lynch two years after they won the super bowl..that prolly had something to do with it. and teams tend to fade after they have been good for a stretch....it happens.

and the wheels have fallen off the colts because manning is injured.....kinda obvious.

I would like to see a defensive minded coach come in. We have ours on offense...wink wink Peyton and Clyde... so defense is the priority. A Mike Zimmer, or Rob Ryan would be good. Jerry Gray is my personal favorite, but Zimmer and Ryan are more qualified. Gray is good because he has a pretty bad defense, except for 2 players, but they're in the middle of the league. They lost Babin, and Tulloch, two of their best, but they're still good, plus their offense is playing badly. He's a pretty good head coach, but would like to see Zimmer or Ryan. So instead of John Gruden who signed a 5 year deal with ESPN, we could get:

Mike Zimmer

Rob Ryan

Jerry Gray

I was also impressed with the Saints OC, when he spoke after Sunday's game.

Don't recall his name though.

I'm sure there's plenty of assistant coaches out there we just don't hear much about that would be good candidates.

But I believe his 5 year deal has an out clause before next season. I read that somewhere.

Disagree with you on Rob Ryan. Tony Dungy was a defensive coach, and it made no difference. The system is what is bad, not the coach. The Tampa-2 is past its time.

This line just disqualified you from having a real conversation on the topic.

You do realize that schemes don't ever really change, right? Maybe a few wrenches here and there, but any defense can survive in this league with the right personnel. If you want a defense to be dominant, you absolutely can't spend picks and good money on the offense. It's as simple as that. We just don't have the personnel to make it work right now. Changing the scheme would do NOTHING to improve this defense on it's own. It's all about coaching and the personnel.

People love the Packers defense because they blitz. Nothing more, nothing less. They have been pretty awful this year too, and are 30th overall in total defense.

The Steelers? Last in the league in generating turnovers, and giving up 108 yards per game on the ground. I thought they were impossible to run against...

The Ravens allowed the TERRIBLE Jaguars offense to move the ball pretty well most of the night. Ironically, it was Jacksonville running the "out-dated" Tampa 2 that shut down the 8th ranked offense of the Ravens.

How about the Chargers? Giving up 122 rushing yards per game and 23 points. Awesome having that 3-4, eh?

The Jets, loaded with defensive talent, also running that mighty 3-4, are 18th in total defense despite being relatively healthy.

Why are we last in total defense? Well, we just gave up 2 games worth of offense in one shot to the Saints (who haven't exactly been slouches this year in that category), we're loaded with injuries, and our offense goes off the field after failing on 3rd down like clockwork. They have a ton of pressure on them, as a result, and are on the field for way too long. If our offense could move the chains with regularity, and could stop fumbling, we might be able to keep them fresh.

Edited by doogansquest

Wait till the end of the season and get Steve Spagnuolos, please, for DC!!! To me, that makes THE most sense.

Head coach - anyone that fits with the organization right after due process is followed and one that hires the right OC and DC.

Belichick won his SBs with Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis, a couple of coaches who are very good co-ordinators but have not been good head coaches. Having the right co-ordinators does matter A LOT.

I am kinda unclear why Gruden gets all this love?

I will make it perfectly clear for you. number 1. he has a pulse.

2. he likes Manning a lot

3. he has been to the superbowl

4. he would tell the polians to do thier job, let him do his

5. he has a pulse, an attitude, he loves the game.

I was also impressed with the Saints OC, when he spoke after Sunday's game.

Don't recall his name though.

I'm sure there's plenty of assistant coaches out there we just don't hear much about that would be good candidates.

Their offensive coordinator is Pete Carmichael

Their defensive coordinator is Gregg Williams

Both are great coaches, so I thought it was worth mentioning both. Gregg Williams reminds me of the better Larry Coyer from the early 2000s Broncos.

I'm sorry, but any guy who claims he sees better WR's in Cowboy's practice than Calvin Johnson shouldn't even have a job in the NFL, let alone a head coaching job.

You don't want your coach being confident in his players? You honestly think he believes Dez Bryant is better than Calvin Johnson? Give me a break. This is why Rex and Rob Ryan win games and championships and Jim Caldwell cant avoid a very possible 0-16.