Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Del Rio Partitions out some HC duties

bayone

Del Rio hasn't tried to go outside himself. Each week, Fox would make a list of do's and don'ts for the offense, defense and special teams.

When Del Rio took over the exercise this week, he handled the do's and don'ts for the defense,

then stepped aside and let offensive coordinator Adam Gase present the list for the offense

and special-teams coordinator Jeff Rodgers make his presentation.

Read more: Former NFL interim coaches' advice to Broncos' Jack Del Rio: Be yourself - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24471843/former-nfl-interim-coaches-advice-broncos-jack-del-rio-be-yourself#ixzz2jxZYcaE9 

"I'm just doing the best I can to lean on the players and the staff we have here and make sure that we carry on," he said.

In his new role, Del Rio said his schedule has changed a bit, but for the most part the team has stayed in its normal routine

Del Rio  will have "very little" input into the offensive side of the ball, and won't implement any changes on special teams, either.

"We have good people there, they’re doing their job," he said.

"I will be in charge of game-day decisions."

He'll handle what he called the head-coach duties, which include making decisions like whether to go for it on fourth-and-1 or send in the kicking unit.

Most of all he'll lean on the leaders around him.

It is probably impossible to replace Coach Fox’s high-energy, charisma, personality,"  Peyton said.

“I think we’ve got a good group; we’ve got a good veteran core and good leaders we’ve talked about, a good staff," Del Rio said. "I think what happens is typically what happens when something goes on that causes a void, that we all work hard to kind of collectively fill the void and help each other out. That’s really the sense that I get.”

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Del-Rio-Impressed-by-Teams-Response/ba2ecf13-a611-4a57-bb29-6d7194827df8

I think losing Fox is as big for this team as Payton being gone from the Saints. As much as people want to believe Manning runs the show, he doesn't. No player does. Del Rio is going to need to fix the defense for the Broncos to have a chance at the division. I was never a big fan of Fox but he is a sound HC. Del Rio IMO is awful.

I think losing Fox is as big for this team as Payton being gone from the Saints. As much as people want to believe Manning runs the show, he doesn't. No player does. Del Rio is going to need to fix the defense for the Broncos to have a chance at the division. I was never a big fan of Fox but he is a sound HC. Del Rio IMO is awful.

fox to conservative, but dont like changing of the guard mid season, & bFo0x never knows when to challenge and wastyes early ones on obvious losses to him then afraid tio use final one as saving it in pocket till very end if needed

in game decisions may prove more aggressive and better if executes well,

however he apparently is not taking on all duties, elsewhere read OC will make offensive game plan, he defensive etc

Temperament of Del Rio & Fox can nott be the same, no one can be so happy go lucky no matter what is happening as game goes on , sideline HC emotions will be different and team must get used to it fast and not take it to mean something different if same was done by fox

fox to conservative, but dont like changing of the guard mid season, & bFo0x never knows when to challenge and wastyes early ones on obvious losses to him then afraid tio use final one as saving it in pocket till very end if needed

in game decisions may prove more aggressive and better if executes well,

however he apparently is not taking on all duties, elsewhere read OC will make offensive game plan, he defensive etc

Temperament of Del Rio & Fox can nott be the same, no one can be so happy go lucky no matter what is happening as game goes on , sideline HC emotions will be different and team must get used to it fast and not take it to mean something different if same was done by fox

Yeah, always tough to change mid-season for any team. At least Del Rio has HC experience. That is a plus for sure.

Yeah, always tough to change mid-season for any team. At least Del Rio has HC experience. That is a plus for sure.

AP Pro Football Writer -- so says the writer 

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Jack Del Rio is following in John Fox's footsteps in one very important way: he's handing the Denver Broncos' high-powered offense over to Peyton Manning and getting the heck out of the way.

So, he has a full plate — and no desire to pile on offensive game-planning duties, as well.

Del Rio knows better than to mess with an offense that's on pace to score more points than any team in NFL history.

http://www.sunherald.com/2013/11/06/5092495/del-rios-not-about-to-mess-with.html#

I didn't buy that Sean Peyton meant that much to NOLA..and the results are bearing that out...

Brees isn't any more effective..or any less

Its largely the same team..plus a new DC...who has made a difference

Peyton Manning obviously runs the Denver offensive practice.. We all know that/....and he and the new OC call the game

That wont change

..and Del Rio has been the DC for 2 `1/2 years right?

John Fox didn't call offensive or defensive plays and sets

...I dont see how there can be any change here....

.....No excuses for Denver if they lose..and its not Del Rio's influence if they continue to win

I didn't buy that Sean Peyton meant that much to NOLA..and the results are bearing that out...

Peyton Manning obviously runs the Denver offensive practice.. We all know that/....and he and the new OC call the game

That wont change

.....No excuses for Denver if they lose..and its not Del Rio's influence if they continue to win

think this is only his second year  as DC

That wont change

The Saints began last year at 0-4 and this year at 4-0. Not sure how you could say Sean Payton was not a huge loss.

I also think you are undervaluing the position of HC. He is the voice that everyone marches too and he needs to be a leader of men. All Peyton can do is lead on the field and be a good example on the practice field. At the end of the day, Del Rio is steering the ship and has to get that team to buy into him. Coaching by committee is never a good idea so if that is his plan then I think Denver is in for a long second half of the season.

That wont change

Really? You don't think that losing the most innovative, motivating, and highly successful play calling coach in the nfl had nothing to do with the season NO had last year? Drew Brees had one of his worst years ever last year. Everything points to the opposite...it had a HUGE impact...what evidence shows that it didn't. I don't see it as just a coincidence that they had a terrible year last year and him being gone completely. Brees doesn't control as much of that offense as people think...sure he will audible but no different than most NFL qbs. Peyton audibles a lot...but he still gets the play call in from the sideline...he can't just sit there and look over which play to run and call it....all qbs rely on the coordinator...and once they get up to the line they will make adjustments...Peyton makes clearly the most...almost probably double of anyone else..but Brees became one of the greatest qbs of the last decade under Payton...and leans heavily on him. I don't think this loss is nearly significant for Denver as losing Payton was to NO. It isn't insignificant..because the head coach makes a lot of game decisions...pulling players...half time adjustments...timeouts etc...but the offense should run just fine without Fox.

The Saints began last year at 0-4 and this year at 4-0. Not sure how you could say Sean Payton was not a huge loss.

I also think you are undervaluing the position of HC. He is the voice that everyone marches too and he needs to be a leader of men. All Peyton can do is lead on the field and be a good example on the practice field. At the end of the day, Del Rio is steering the ship and has to get that team to buy into him. Coaching by committee is never a good idea so if that is his plan then I think Denver is in for a long second half of the season.

As the week has progressed, it's appeared that linebackers coach Richard Smith has been working more and more with the defensive in general, helping ease the duties on Jack Del Rio as he functions as both interim coach and defensive coordinator

Read more: Champ Bailey, Duke Ihenacho only Broncos not practicing Thursday - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24475496/champ-bailey-duke-ihenacho-only-broncos-not-practicing#ixzz2jzPE5lvA 

Really? You don't think that losing the most innovative, motivating, and highly successful play calling coach in the nfl had nothing to do with the season NO had last year? Drew Brees had one of his worst years ever last year. Everything points to the opposite...it had a HUGE impact...what evidence shows that it didn't. I don't see it as just a coincidence that they had a terrible year last year and him being gone completely. Brees doesn't control as much of that offense as people think...sure he will audible but no different than most NFL qbs. Peyton audibles a lot...but he still gets the play call in from the sideline...he can't just sit there and look over which play to run and call it....all qbs rely on the coordinator...and once they get up to the line they will make adjustments...Peyton makes clearly the most...almost probably double of anyone else..but Brees became one of the greatest qbs of the last decade under Payton...and leans heavily on him. I don't think this loss is nearly significant for Denver as losing Payton was to NO. It isn't insignificant..because the head coach makes a lot of game decisions...pulling players...half time adjustments...timeouts etc...but the offense should run just fine without Fox.

No...dg...I don't think Sean P. has a singular ability to call lays that no one else has..

That's way overatrted....Drew B/ checks out of a lot of plays...rioght?

Brees threw for about 5,200 yards and 43 TDs last year and the saints were 8-8 despite the worst defensive in the NFL..

...Hes thrown for 2,600 now (at the midway point) with 21 TDs..virtually no difference

with a superstar like Brees..the original play call is massively overrated..

The saints are 6-2 (because they are allowing about 10 less points a game) with SF, SEattle and Carolina twice yet to go.

You hear a lot about how Payton is an indispensable guru but the facts clearly dont sustain that notion.

No...dg...I don't think Sean P. has a singular ability to call lays that no one else has..

Brees threw for about 5,200 yards and 43 TDs last year and the saints were 8-8 despite the worst defensive in the NFL..

...Hes thrown for 2,600 now (at the midway point) with 21 TDs..virtually no difference

The saints are 6-2 (because they are allowing about 10 less points a game) with SF, SEattle and Carolina twice yet to go.

You hear a lot about how Payton is an indispensable guru but the facts clearly dont sustain that notion.

while I do agree Ryan has been a tremendous reason for the team getting better, that D is studly from dudly

However I feel Payton makes proper in game situational and aggressive calls as needed to the betterment of the team and can call offense plays with the best of them

But yes that defense has been main reason for turnaround

Most of those yds and points were do to them playing from behind...how many turnovers did Brees had last year? Who calls the genius onside kick in the SB? Payton is a great play caller...and coach...I will just have to agree to disagree. The defense is better...but I guess having a SB winning head coach back has no benefits there either. I don't see Brees check out of any more plays than Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. Play calling is still very important....I think people watch too many Denver games....and Peyton isn't changing all those plays either just because he looks like it. Peyton needs a good offensive coordinator to install good plays that week that will be successful...and yes he will check to them etc if needs be...and he does that a lot....but I fully believe Sean Payton is the best OC in football...and dang good coach too. IMO.

He's a good coacvh dg..I just think the vast majority of Drew Brees success has to do with Drew Brees...

Getting back to the subject, though..

Jack Del Rio wont change the Broncos a bit because he's already the DC..and has no interest in the offense...

I don't think John Fox suggested a lot of play calls and schemes...

Don't look for the broncos to change a bit in the second half without Fox.

That wont change

Had you watched the Saints play calling last year compared to the schemes they ran in 2011, 2010, 2009, and this season so far, you would see that without Payton they clearly were very lost on offense last year.

6-2 speaks for itself how important he plays a role in our team.

I think losing Fox is as big for this team as Payton being gone from the Saints. As much as people want to believe Manning runs the show, he doesn't. No player does.

Nobody runs the defense, that much is clear.

Maybe it will change. A legit QB in Rivers will be a good test. If they can string back to back decent defensive outings I'll be impressed.

I thought Denver played fairly well defensively

....and I'm glad KC doesn't have SD's skill players

Denver did play well defensively again today. They got a good pass rush on Rivers all night, although they missed him a few times they should have sacked him. The run D was solid all night. Also one needs to consider Manning's fumble/Clark's lack of a block put the D in bad position for one of those touchdowns.

I'll say that after last week and this week with decent performances they're looking better. Not great by any means, but quite serviceable as a unit. It's nice when the offense doesn't need to light the other team up for 40-50+ to win every game. That will be important come playoffs.

Denver did play well defensively again today. They got a good pass rush on Rivers all night, although they missed him a few times they should have sacked him. The run D was solid all night. Also one needs to consider Manning's fumble/Clark's lack of a block put the D in bad position for one of those touchdowns.

I'll say that after last week and this week with decent performances they're looking better. Not great by any means, but quite serviceable as a unit. It's nice when the offense doesn't need to light the other team up for 40-50+ to win every game. That will be important come playoffs.

of interest

Rotation:

It's not clear whether it's due to the fact linebacker Von Miller missed six games to open the season with a suspension or Jack Del Rio's desire to use everyone in uniform, but Miller was not in the lineup for several plays on defense Sunday. Miller was not in the nickel package for five consecutive snaps in the second quarter -- he is usually lined up as a defensive end in that look -- and was also not in the nickel and base defense for a selection of snaps in the first quarter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/2338/upon-further-review-broncos-week-10&ex_cid=MyESPNToday_Team