Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacksonville (+27 1/2) @ Denver (10-13-13)

oldunclemark

Denver did not cover 8 1/2 last week at Dallas but they have gone 'over' in every game so far

I think Chad Henne is an upgrade for Jacksonville but the Jags have a lot of defenders who have not practiced (due to injury) this week.

Denver will be down at least 3 players, all on defense..

That indicates that the 'over' is again the way to go

Denver did not cover 8 1/2 last week at Dallas but they have gone 'over' in every game so far

I think Chad Henne is an upgrade for Jacksonville but the Jags have a lot of defenders who have not practiced (due to injury) this week.

Denver will be down at least 3 players, all on defense..

That indicates that the 'over' is again the way to go

if up fast and alot Peyton out early, Jax is minus defenders or lack of practice  and yes looks like so will Denver including the play calling captain Woodward and after he was hurt Romo really caught fire

Henne is upgrade and  Blacmon back added 153 yards catching last week toi go with Cecil shorts, 2 good / decent receivers if on game that are big or stretch field

I dont expect a win to cover but who knows

I think Henne and those two receivers do alright. I don't expect a lot from MJD but I see Jax scoring 17....Denver....ahh..if they score quick and often early they let off the gas. 41-17  3 td passes for Manning

if up fast and alot Peyton out early, Jax is minus defenders or lack of practice  and yes looks like so will Denver including the play calling captain Woodward and after he was hurt Romo really caught fire

Henne is upgrade and  Blacmon back added 153 yards catching last week toi go with Cecil shorts, 2 good / decent receivers if on game that are big or stretch field

I dont expect a win to cover but who knows

FRIDAYs Denver Praactice

Wesley Woodyard did not take the practice field with the Broncos on Friday for the team's final practice before facing the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday. The linebacker injured his neck on Sunday in Dallas against the Cowboys, and he hasn't participated even in the team's stretches for the past two days.

Robert Ayers, who injured his left shoulder in Dallas, was present for stretches but immediately left the field.

Chris Harris, who suffered a concussion during that same game, was back on the field for the second straight day.

( *** NOTE , if was like yesterday he did only stretches ) 

The Broncos will release a full pregame injury report later Friday.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24289851/wesley-woodyard-robert-ayers-miss-broncos-final-practice

Peyton should have a very good game against the Jags defense.  even though they  have only allowed an average of 219.2 yards through the air, which ranks 10th best in the league. The stat that stands out to me is the QB rating their allowing to opposing QBs.

as

Opposing Quarterbacks are averaging a 103.9 QB rating against the Jags defense this year.

Totally The Jaguars have allowed 379.8 yards per game to opposing offenses,

Have the 10th ranked pass defense(very misleading stat), and have the 29th ranked rush defense.

Blackmon & Shorts These two could be a tough matchup for a potentially banged up Broncos secondary.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/10/11/4826854/broncos-vs-jaguars-five-keys-to-the-game

Breaking Down the Jaguars D

Detailed article On Jax D ends with

Other notes regarding the Jaguars defense:

-- They're slightly above average at getting teams off the field when they get them to third down. Teams that face third down fail to sustain their drives 62.0 percent of the time against Jacksonville, which ranks 13th in the league. 

-- But on the flip side of that, they rank 24th in percentage of plays that they allow a first down, permitting teams to move the sticks on 32.8 percent of their snaps. (The Broncos rank 28th, allowing first downs on 33.3 percent of the plays run against them this year.)

-- Pay attention to rookie safety John Cyprien, the Jaguars' top defensive pick this year. He forced a fumble from Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson in Week 3, and the Jaguars could try to gamble on blitzes -- and the running backs' ability to pick them up -- with the quick, athletic Cyprien. Like any rookie, he can make mental mistakes, but as he curbs them, his natural athleticism will make him a versatile weapon for Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley. Jacksonville's defense won't help create an upset without rolling the dice, and being aggressive with Cyprien might be their best play.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Breaking-Down-the-Jaguars-D/a62b451d-f45f-4e6e-8216-2a12120c1240

I'll say as I did before the Oakland game that offensive records are usually set in shootouts, not overwhelming blowouts. It's entirely possible that the Broncos decide to run the ball early on. If it's there - take it - and give the defense a break. Maybe Peyton doesn't put up big passing numbers.

If the Jags offense is as bad as it SHOULD be (with backups at QB and both tackles among other things) than Peyton may still be able to come out in the third quarter, but they probably aren't reaching 50 unless the defense/special teams/backups score a couple.

An uncomfortable number of Denver defensive players out or game-time decisions..

true , its next week though that they will be needed , Our Colts can win with it being in Indy, Have to see both teams injury reports next week

could decide who is seeded 1st

Take this to the bank: Big underdogs can bite

Peyton Manning's 2006 Indianapolis Colts, who went on to win the Super Bowl, were 18-point favorites in an October game against the Tennessee Titans. The Colts won 14-13.

http://www.denverpost.com/klis/ci_24297977/take-this-bank-big-underdogs-can-bite

3 key s

think about today's game not next weeks

2. PREVENT THE JAGUARS FROM STRIKING DEEP.

This comes down to defending wide receiver Justin Blackmon,   a four-game substance . But last week he returned and instantly unclogged the Jaguars' backed-up offense, catching five passes for 136 yards and a touchdown. This should have come as no surprise based on his performance late last season; in his last eight regular-season games, he's caught 43 passes for 751 yards and five touchdowns. Double that and you have elite production, made all the more notable by the Jaguars' quarterback issues.

( & cecil Shorts is a good compliment for him  to me and chad Henne  better QB than starter )

If the Broncos choose to put Champ Bailey on Blackmon, it will provide an immediate and stern test for the future Hall of Famer in his first game since suffering a foot injury Aug. 17.

3. DON'T LET THE JAGUARS LINGER.

Jacksonville's chances at an upset rest upon being able to keep pace and not let the Broncos get too far ahead. Stunning results do happen from time to time in the league, and a common strand of DNA between them is the ability to do just enough early to not let the heavy favorite run away with matters in the first 10 minutes. The Broncos' task is to use the probable return of Champ Bailey to their advantage; it might free them to attack Jacksonville quarterback Chad Henne and running back Maurice Jones-Drew with their safeties, which could help compensate for the pressure that is lost if Robert Ayers and Wesley Woodyard do not play; both are doubtful. If Denver can do this and make an explosive defensive play early, they can put the Jaguars into a dark place in which they've spent a majority of the 300 minutes they've played this season: behind two scores with little hope of a comeback.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Three-Keys-Broncos-vs-Jaguars/5971a98c-aaa7-43ea-8cda-a11aa3e90f8a

An uncomfortable number of Denver defensive players out or game-time decisions..

Weird things happen in the nfl

According to a story in Saturday’s New York Times, the sports book at the Las Vegas Hotel has added a wrinkle to betting on the Broncos-Jaguars, a game that already has Jacksonville set as a 28-point underdog.

In order to attract more betting on the game, Vegas has introduced a new kind of bet: People can wager on whether the Jaguars will ever lead.

Jay Kornegay, who runs the sports book at the Las Vegas Hilton, says that this is the first time he’s offered such a proposition bet.

if the Jaguars were to lead at any point, a $100 bet would yield $250. If one were to bet in the Broncos’ favor on the subject, $300 would yield $100.

In addition, according to the story, the Canada-based online sports book Bovada has set an over-under of 7:30 remaining in the third quarter for when Brock Osweiler will replace Peyton Manning

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/10/12/betting-on-broncos-jaguars-with-a-twist/22375/

If the Jags get within 20 points, I'll eat couscous with my supper. 5 TD's for Manning, he's doing a Brady.

haha  not a fan of couscous..???   :lol:

You know what they say,  Any Given Sunday....   anything is possible, so I wouldn't count the Jags out,   but seriously, yeah  I pick the Broncos for this game.   Who wouldn't..???

If the Jags get within 20 points, I'll eat couscous with my supper. 5 TD's for Manning, he's doing a Brady.

haha  not a fan of couscous..???   :lol:

You know what they say,  Any Given Sunday....   anything is possible, so I wouldn't count the Jags out,   but seriously, yeah  I pick the Broncos for this game.   Who wouldn't..???

that why in comment 18 besides 3 keys for Denver win

I wrote what happened to Peyton & Colts year we won Superbowl and no good D till Sanders came back

Take this to the bank: Big underdogs can bite

Peyton Manning's 2006 Indianapolis Colts, who went on to win the Super Bowl, were 18-point favorites in an October game against the Tennessee Titans. The Colts won 14-13.

http://www.denverpost.com/klis/ci_24297977/take-this-bank-big-underdogs-can-bite

I can imagine what the announcers and analysts, and even some people on the Forum react if, by some miracle, the Jags are competitive, and the score is close near halftime. And it would get worse and worse as the game goes on the longer they would stay close. I'm almost praying the Jags are tied or up at halftime, just to hear what people say..I need a good laugh.

if Denver took Lacy instead of Ball, & not worryu about a bad toe that was said to be healed so far today 4 rushes 49 yards, he & moreno with hillman what a combination

Ball is non existent as is 1st round pick Sly Williams who may get more reps today with Ayers Doubtfull , otherwise often a healthy game day inactive

not what u want from your 1st 2 draft picks

---------------------------------

also CB Porter injured last year doing very well this year and Denver needs Better CBs  / deppth at least

Around midnight here, so all stores closed. All hail to the Jaguars. Of course, if Manning didn't treat the ball like a bar of soap......

last post , stip qoting me in other threads 

anyway u have to wonder a bit, Many of peytons throws low even when caught, 

he was hit hard 5 times on 1st 2 drives, went into locker and brock on sidlines got up and started sidel;ine practice, Peyton came back oout and practiced on sidline, u have to wonder with thosse big hits, going intpo locker to be checked, then all the low throws and missed snaps did he get hurt ??

I think Henne and those two receivers do alright. I don't expect a lot from MJD but I see Jax scoring 17....Denver....ahh..if they score quick and often early they let off the gas. 41-17  3 td passes for Manning

Denver 35 Jax 19.....300 yards for QB Henne...190 for WR Blackmon

Pretty good pick, Bill!!

Denver 35 Jax 19.....300 yards for QB Henne...190 for WR Blackmon

Pretty good pick, Bill!!

I don't think anyone saw them playing this ugly of a game but its the NFL....anyone is beatable. I will say you can't say Manning won't run it inside the 10 anymore. So much for padding stats huh.

I don't think anyone saw them playing this ugly of a game but its the NFL....anyone is beatable. I will say you can't say Manning won't run it inside the 10 anymore. So much for padding stats huh.

Exactly. He could have just as easily thrown for five tds - and that would be the story of the day - but the game would have still been a disappointing mess. Love the records, but they don't always mean much. I'm sure that he'd be happy to run it inside the ten every time, it's just that they often can't get it done.

Exactly. He could have just as easily thrown for five tds - and that would be the story of the day - but the game would have still been a disappointing mess. Love the records, but they don't always mean much. I'm sure that he'd be happy to run it inside the ten every time, it's just that they often can't get it done.

Indeed. If they load the box he will pass....he just takes the high percentage play. Next week will be anguish to watch and probably worse for him to play. Can I just root for both offenses to put up 50 like the Cowboy game and this time have Luck finish it out for the win??

No doubt there are blueprints out there for how to be successful against them. Especially if they turn the ball over. That said....we still have to take care of business tomorrow night and I hope our guys aren't looking ahead like a ton of people on this board are.

Indeed. If they load the box he will pass....he just takes the high percentage play. Next week will be anguish to watch and probably worse for him to play. Can I just root for both offenses to put up 50 like the Cowboy game and this time have Luck finish it out for the win??

No doubt there are blueprints out there for how to be successful against them. Especially if they turn the ball over. That said....we still have to take care of business tomorrow night and I hope our guys aren't looking ahead like a ton of people on this board are.

Jax played inspired ball and Chad Henne Is good

Denver has very little pass rush.....they haven't had much all season

But the goal was to survive the first 6 games until Champ and Von Miller were back

They are back....

Now the season starts for real

First things first, Colts take care of business next this week 

as far as next Colts can win , Broncos have fumbled quite often this season, lost ball like 7-9 times, cant stop the pass and no pass rush , Miller rusty when comes back , jusst has to be, Baily nothing special yesterday at all

also

RT Franklin seen on crutches & in boot

manning quoted as sayinjg we will have to see who our RT tackle is so seems Peyton knows something

even if Fox only says we wwill hve to see how serious our injuries are and sys Franklin ankle and Sly Williams neck

Orlando Franklin on crutches with a boot on his left foot

Manning: "We have to see who our right tackle is". Sounds like he knows Franklin is gonna miss some time. Not confirmed.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/10/13/4835982/denver-broncos-injuries-orlando-franklin-injured-in-35-19-win-over-jaguars

what I find humorous today, is that Denver Won by 16, and people are saying they had a bad day...

Yeah, I get it, they didn't dominate like they've been doing, but a 16 point margin is still a significant win.

I wrote this under a booing topic, but this is what denver fans think and they dont deserve Peyton

Broncos fans expect perfection to much, Peyton on an off day had a 94 + rating and there were 7 official drops, 4 easy ones by running backs too ( 2 at least affected drives essentially stopping them ) , and still Peyton properly guided long drives and called right 3 running plays for thee run TD besides his 2 TD's ( so i dont want to here he is padding stats )

YET get this as these Denver Fans are unforgiven --  Some of them dont deserve Peyton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the first time all season, the Broncos were off-script.

And not long after Manning's interception, the reaction was equally unexpected as the Broncos headed to the locker room following a 1-yard completion to end the first half.

Boos.

And they weren't because a few people wanted to practice for Halloween.

The sound didn't come from all of the fans, or even a majority. But it was enough to be heard through the thick panes of glass on the press level, and to be picked up by television and radio microphones. The team that was undefeated, has the NFL's longest active regular-season winning streak and scored more points than anyone ever has through five -- and now, six -- games heard it from the fans.

"I was kind of shocked, because I've never heard boos here," cornerback Chris Harris said. "You don't usually hear that from our fans."

http://www.denverbro...67-c02097fc55a5

PS I hope I am wrong but on an aside / off topic , don't know if u caught this if u watched game Re Peytons Hand, a speculation

anyway u have to wonder a bit, Many of peytons throws low even when caught, 

he was hit hard 5 times quite early and landed flat hard with players on him

Then after the last series was over and many a hit, he  went into locker and Brock on sidelines got up and started sidelne practice,

Peyton came back out and practiced on sidline,as Jags still had the ball

u have to wonder with those big hits, going into locker to be checked , on TV I'd swear he sort of shaked his hand but coukld of just been reading into it at the time trying to figure out why he went into locker, anouncers only pointed out tht he went in and Brock started to practicer ,  then all the low throws and missed snaps did he get a bit hurt ??

Decker even after 1 caatch on a low throw motioned to Peyton to   get them higher as announcers put it they were astonished Decker did that

Barry,

The game was not on in our area, so I didn't See any of it, let alone the things you were asking about above.

do me a favor, if u answer me quote me to, most of the time I get an e-mail if i am quoted to know to look and maybe answer back, witrh limited time I just took a look and saw your response

I understand many didnt see the game ,I know Mac said so, listened to radio

Belive me radio is not like watching, like to secure game and needing 15 yards  on 2nd down ball hass all the daylight in the wold  when drops any easy pass , Anouncers said Peyton keeps calling the right play for ball and he has yet to make a catch this season

Meanwhile RB Ed Lacy who they passed on had another stellatr game 120 yards yesterday and caught a pass , hillman's  first of 2 carries goes a long way and he then fumbles it away

Really was something to watch

Heres are 2 more  Broncos responces to booing Welker & Malik Johnson who was ouitstanding with 2c sacks on 1 drive ending it. or 1 sack and forcing the QB into another bronco who git the sack  on back to back plays I belive

I also saw on TV the Denver Post front page and it wasnt to nice

After the game, several Broncos reacted to the boos. Their perspectives are below:

“We heard them. It’s, I don’t have anything to say about that right now. I’ll let (coach John) Fox tell me what to say about that. … You never want to hear booing, especially when you’re up, but I guess they didn’t like the situation where Peyton took the knee going into halftime. If they want to be the coach, I guess they’ve got to try out for the job.” – Malik Jackson  

(( there was nil time an nil timeouts when he took the knee and was soon after the Pick 6 IT , I fully expected it as they were getting the ball first in 2nd half and as eevery game so far , started second half with a scoring drive , This time a TD, also Peyton would of had another TD if DT didnt bobble the fade route and then secured it out of bounds, (((( first called a td , reversed by replay both and was clear )))) on next play Peyton had Moreno run it in ))

“We got high expectations, too, so we understand that they have high expectations for us, and we feel the same way. I’m sure there are a lot of us that want to boo ourselves, so we understand it. I almost appreciated it, and (it) kind of gets our butts into gear and (gets us) ready to play out there.” – Wes Welker

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/10/13/broncos-react-boos-jaguars/22414/

Before the game was a very brief  ceremony for colorodo rockies baseball player retiremrnt who was peytons friend and college roomate ,  t doubt it that had any effect on play

Denver Post Lead article

Paige: Broncos fail the smell test

starts with 1 line,  The Broncos stunk.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_24303686/broncos-fail-smell-test

Website bit more friendly noting

When a Game Goes Off-Script

Everybody's got to understand that this is the NFL," said defensive end Malik Jackson. "We're not just going to go out there every week and blow teams out of the water. We're just going to keep working hard, get on our P's and Q's and try to get out of (each) week with a win."

This became a distant memory by the late afternoon. The Broncos outscored the Jaguars 21-7 after halftime; the defense got a three-and-out, a red-zone stop and two interceptions out of their five second-half series, and order was restored.

Maybe the smattering of boos was an overreaction to a game that veered wildly from the popular expectation, since so much pregame chatter revolved around how soon the backups would enter. 

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/When-a-Game-Goes-Off-Script/e519a18c-b883-4484-8d67-c02097fc55a5

On new injury news not good

Broncos starting right tackle Orlando Franklin has both ankle and knee injuries following Sunday's win against the Jaguars, Jeff Legwold of ESPN report. Exams have confirmed a sprained ankle and a possible sprained MCL. Louis Vasquez played right tackle in Franklin's stead Sunday; it looks like the Broncos will have to continue to gameplan without him.

( also i read Kuper elswhere  who came in as OG when starter OG moved to RT was hobbled in pain post game as still healing from 2nd surgery ,    but looks like our  Mathis may have a field day Vs ex Colts   WInston Justice as only Tackle that is left and has not practiced with the ones at all & not use to Peytons fast pace etc , also 1st round pick sly williams hurt neck & left game , this was one of few games he even played in ))

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/10/14/4837432/orlando-franklin-injury-sprained-ankle-possible-mcl-for-broncos-tackle/in/4595579

OK 4 PM aproaching, need to do other prioties take care my friend

Quick PS Linda

It wasnt blacked out here 

But if u have nfl satellite package , which is subject to same blackout rules, PM me I know a way to get around them and still watch gaame on satellite direct tv , but to make it a better experience u need a large scren TV as the game is shown with others on a split screen but u here the game u want and I at least can still followv the action, as before i realized this i used audio pass on NFL.com , that gets the sound only and this small screen experience is far better

Barry,

The game was not on in our area, so I didn't See any of it, let alone the things you were asking about above.

So Winston Justice is new Denver right tackle...

..Not great..but not bad...though as a new lineman..he'll struggle indoors gearing Peyton's audibles

.I don't worry much about defensive injuries..but O-line is crucial...

But to say Denver 'stunk' Sunday simply isn't accurate.

26 1st downs..400 yards and they held the foe to 2 TDs..

Sounds like that writer had been drinking