Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Denver @ San Francisco - 9 p.m. EST - Thurs. Aug. 8

oldunclemark

one of the final games at Candlestick Park - San Francisco. 

I dont think there's any live TV outside of Denver and SF...not sure

...also would be surprised if Peyton Manning played.....

Peyton may play a series or 2 , they got to get some live action in with wes and whomever snaps that ball

In a downpour on Saturday in which lightning was threatening and finally subsided but not the pouring rain, Broncos decided not to disappoint 44,000 +  fans and after 40 minute delay had their scrimmage

when they took the field the first half coming out didnt realize how slippery and were falling all over

see video in article of all the falling, its hilarious & dangerous

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013-denver-broncos-training-camp/2013/8/3/4586680/manning-broncos-brave-elements-to-give-fans-their-summer-scrimmage

Perytons offensive series concluded   The drive culminated with Manning rolling right at the 7-yard line and throwing off his back foot, across his body, to find a streaking Demaryius Thomas in the back of the end zone. Thomas was the third option on the play

Guess the rain is better for him than cold

Manning and the first team offense ran 12 plays, including a 10-play touchdown drive that saw Manning go 4 for 6 for roughly 55 yards ending with that TD to DT

may have done better if Welker hadnt slipped running the route, but not bad in a downpour

I beleive The NFL Net is replaying this game at midnight

it is being replayed after a 3 hr segment of multi games coverage starting at 8 PM Eastern including some bronco coverage  , then Charger game, then Bronco game , both in full

Broncos got a  distinct look  as to why they didn't want to leave Manning in too long. On the last of Manning's four drop-backs the 49ers' Alson Smith simply overwhelmed Clady's replacement,  with a bull rush & hit Peytons arm , the ball fell far short of target as u could see after it left hand wasnt going anywhere but to the ground luckily

the offensive line is still a major work in progress and thats being kind, RB hillman average 3 yards, no long runs showed b nothing like was supposed to be from practice reports, Montee  ball worse, but no holes whatsoever

If   just five OL blockers up front cant protect as i noted in another topic with a source article, the Broncos will have to work out of   2 TE sets  or 2 RB sets and thats not what they are about as Manning tried a fast attack without subbing anyone

The Broncos did work considerably more out of those bulkier formations when Osweiler was in the game.but he still was chased all over

Broncoundrafted rookie hopeful RB CJ anderson was best of all backs but he was against  2nd & 3rd eam D  

averaging 4.6 yards , 69 on 15 caarries

....without the top QBs afte the first quarter...the 10-6 score is understandable..

Forget the two (in line) TE sets......Peyton needs 3 WRs and one TE..

Denver's O-line did not move SF at all. Good thing they dont play SF every week (or any week)

Keep in mind..Clady didnt play and Lilja played with the backups

Never saw Wes Welker at all.....I know he played but he wa snot involvedin any plays

Denver didnt start their true O-line....

Denver had a safety with a name the announcers couldnt pronouce ..who had a big game...

Anderson looks worth keeping....

Osweiler wasnt very accurate..but the 3rd stringer from Miami of Ohio looked good...

SF has nothing behind Kapernick...at QB but he looked very good in brief action...

SF also had a safety who mad esome big hits. The new Bronco Tight end looks like he will be a major factor...

Candlestick Park looked nice..

....without the top QBs afte the first quarter...the 10-6 score is understandable..

Denver's O-line did not move SF at all. Good thing they dont play SF every week (or any week)

Keep in mind..Clady didnt play and Lilja played with the backups

Never saw Wes Welker at all.....I know he played but he wa snot involvedin any plays

Denver didnt start their true O-line....

Denver had a safety with a name the announcers couldnt pronouce ..who had a big game...

Anderson looks worth keeping....

Osweiler wasnt very accurate..but the 3rd stringer from Miami of Ohio looked good...

SF has nothing behind Kapernick...at QB but he looked very good in brief action...

SF also had a safety who mad esome big hits. The new Bronco Tight end looks like he will be a major factor...

Candlestick Park looked nice..

I whole heartedly agree but read that again today, do not know if was same analyst 

analyst today was ESPN Jeff Legfold ( sp ) who till a week or so ago covered Broncos for Denver Post & I think has an AP vote

Denver's O-line did not move SF 

Man thats was an understatement & Frankllin though just 2 days or so from hip injury was in, hip may have held him back

Denver may not have started true O line but untill all healthy thats what they got & speaks volumes about depth

Welker was WR he intended to throw ball to for 1st down when Smith struck his arm, but other than that went to DT & TE  julius Thomas

Broncos are hoping TE Julius Thomas has a break out year, a basketball player in College , 6"5"" or so, 255 pounds, is in 3rd year , show flashes his first but quickly hurt  & ir'd and last year IR'd before season started

He is having an amazing TC

If can stay healthy can be a major factor, some say trade Tamme & use him as the catching WR and hes learning some bl;ocking as is big

3rd string QB zac Dysert u cite as did relatively well  is the one with a bad  TC    but also was playing against lower D , was drafted as is supposed to be similar to Big Ben in style, Pending depth all around it will be interesting to see if keep 2 or 3 QBs on roster, if 2 will try & waive and then put Zac on PS

The safety u noted Broncos call Duke or Nachos , he is  Duke Ihenacho has been have an incredible and surprise to all TC.,think he is undrafted like that RB Rookie andersson but has been lingering on team or PS for a year

SF has nothing behind Kapernick...at QB but he looked very good in brief action...  TRUE

Denver looked like a worse team then last year ... but first pre-season game only.

Indeed...shows what an OL can do for you. That is why I think the Pats will be ok this year...no matter what...Brady still has the best OL in football and even rookie wrs can get open when you have to cover for 4 or 5 secs. I tell you...every time I see a Pats game I am amazed how clean the pocket is for Tom. I think against most teams he wouldn't even need a helmet...that said teams that can put pressure on...the Giants, Ravens, etc...those give him more problems....well...when any team gives pressure almost all qbs have more problems but whether its Peyton or Tom or Big Ben...pressure turns great qbs into just good or avg ones. Peyton and Tom do more to help their OLs by getting rid of the ball faster and using their head more but if Denver doesn't establish a running game or give Peyton at least SOME time...when they face playoff caliber defenses...they won't look like SB contenders.

Indeed...shows what an OL can do for you. That is why I think the Pats will be ok this year...no matter what...Brady still has the best OL in football and even rookie wrs can get open when you have to cover for 4 or 5 secs. I tell you...every time I see a Pats game I am amazed how clean the pocket is for Tom. I think against most teams he wouldn't even need a helmet...that said teams that can put pressure on...the Giants, Ravens, etc...those give him more problems....well...when any team gives pressure almost all qbs have more problems but whether its Peyton or Tom or Big Ben...pressure turns great qbs into just good or avg ones. Peyton and Tom do more to help their OLs by getting rid of the ball faster and using their head more but if Denver doesn't establish a running game or give Peyton at least SOME time...when they face playoff caliber defenses...they won't look like SB contenders.

Yes, that has been the Pats MO since Bill came - build the team from the lines out. This is why they spend top draft talent on OL. Have to protect the QB and then you are right difficult to cover any WR if there is time for the QB. Plus, Tom has the fastest release from when the ball is snapped so that helps too.

Not sure what Denver is going to do. But that looked ugly. I realize San Fran has maybe the best Dline in football but Peyton is going to be running for his life most of the season if they don't figure something out. Imagine if Miller is gone for four games? Then Peyton will be playing from behind to boot with the defense with its ears pinned back.

Yes, that has been the Pats MO since Bill came - build the team from the lines out. This is why they spend top draft talent on OL. Have to protect the QB and then you are right difficult to cover any WR if there is time for the QB. Plus, Tom has the fastest release from when the ball is snapped so that helps too.

Not sure what Denver is going to do. But that looked ugly. I realize San Fran has maybe the best Dline in football but Peyton is going to be running for his life most of the season if they don't figure something out. Imagine if Miller is gone for four games? Then Peyton will be playing from behind to boot with the defense with its ears pinned back.

so u know Aug 15 th, next thursday,  is date for NFL  to hear his appeal but not make decision till later as says below

NFL officials will meet Thursday with representatives of Broncos linebacker Von Miller to discuss his alleged drug violation, according to a league source.

Although the date of the meeting has been set, the particulars haven't been finalized. Still to be determined is whether there will be a formal hearing or a preliminary discussion — and whether Miller will be present. He is facing a four-game suspension for allegedly violating the league's substance-abuse policy

While some form of hearing is set, a ruling on Miller's appeal isn't expected for several more days. A ruling is expected before the Broncos open their season Sept. 5 against the defending Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23824609/broncos-lb-von-millers-appeal-four-game-suspension

Imagine if late in August they decide its 1st 4 games, and  C was based on Miller being there,. they are not preparing a starting lineup if he is gone, at least not as a first team in all of TC, so his backup basically been playing as 2nd D and not in millers role with other starters  to see how work as a group

Great to be unprepared though sure Broncos feel they are

All that said...Peyton too quickly makes up his mind with where to go with the ball....and has had....far far worse OL's....far worse during his days in Indy. I look for them to make use of more bubble screens, quick slants, and his TE's. Also I believe it makes the addition of Welker even more valuable. I don't think this is what the Broncos offense will look like during the season...but yes..it would be worrysome. They honestly will  have a much much better OL when they are all together...but they will be fine...I worry more about their run game and running backs pass blocking and the defense generating a pass rush then Peyton and the offense....Peyton has played catchup..just as much as any other qb in history and will cover up A LOT of deficiencies of a team....everyone knows that...but good points.

All that said...Peyton too quickly makes up his mind with where to go with the ball....and has had....far far worse OL's....far worse during his days in Indy. I look for them to make use of more bubble screens, quick slants, and his TE's. Also I believe it makes the addition of Welker even more valuable. I don't think this is what the Broncos offense will look like during the season...but yes..it would be worrysome. They honestly will  have a much much better OL when they are all together...but they will be fine...I worry more about their run game and running backs pass blocking and the defense generating a pass rush then Peyton and the offense....Peyton has played catchup..just as much as any other qb in history and will cover up A LOT of deficiencies of a team....everyone knows that...but good points.

Manning on the run throwing is not a pretty sight. Remember his last throw last season was the pick becasue he was on the move and could not use his legs. They need to give him a pocket so he can plant and his lower body into the throw. I do agree that Welker will be key but Welker is still learning, he has said as much, so not sure when you can expect him to be on the same page with Manning. As Welker said himself, if you don't run the route the way Manning wants then he won't throw it to you. I agree about the RBs too but the Oline needs to be much better.

PS

Von Miller's appeal of four-game suspension is a must-win for Broncos

Lose Aug. 15, and you can kiss goodbye the Broncos' chance of being the No. 1 seed in the AFC playoffs.

The image that sticks from a dress rehearsal for the Super Bowl is Miller chasing Niners quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

Forget the four turnovers Denver created against San Francisco scrubs. The Broncos got pushed around by the Niners in the lone possession Kaepernick played.

Without the services of Miller in four games, it would be hard to envision this defense being able to shut down Baltimore's Joe Flacco or Eli Manning of the New York Giants during September, let alone acting like one of the league's top  defensive units.

With a patchwork offensive line that figures to have some cohesion issues during the early portion of the regular season,

the last thing coach John Fox wants to see is Peyton Manning putting the health of his 37-year-old body at risk by constantly playing from behind in the absence of Miller.

Do the Broncos have a defense worthy of serious Super Bowl contention?

Not without Miller.

http://www.denverpost.com/lunchspecial/ci_23830019/von-millers-appeal-four-game-suspension-is-must

Have a good weekend

if Miller is gone for four games?  

PS

Von Miller's appeal of four-game suspension is a must-win for Broncos

Lose Aug. 15, and you can kiss goodbye the Broncos' chance of being the No. 1 seed in the AFC playoffs.

The image that sticks from a dress rehearsal for the Super Bowl is Miller chasing Niners quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

Forget the four turnovers Denver created against San Francisco scrubs. The Broncos got pushed around by the Niners in the lone possession Kaepernick played.

Without the services of Miller in four games, it would be hard to envision this defense being able to shut down Baltimore's Joe Flacco or Eli Manning of the New York Giants during September, let alone acting like one of the league's top  defensive units.

With a patchwork offensive line that figures to have some cohesion issues during the early portion of the regular season,

the last thing coach John Fox wants to see is Peyton Manning putting the health of his 37-year-old body at risk by constantly playing from behind in the absence of Miller.

Do the Broncos have a defense worthy of serious Super Bowl contention?

Not without Miller.

http://www.denverpost.com/lunchspecial/ci_23830019/von-millers-appeal-four-game-suspension-is-must

I agree. Those first four games are nasty and could really hurt the Broncs out of the gate if he is gone. Their schedule is much tougher this year in general.

Manning on the run throwing is not a pretty sight. Remember his last throw last season was the pick becasue he was on the move and could not use his legs. They need to give him a pocket so he can plant and his lower body into the throw. I do agree that Welker will be key but Welker is still learning, he has said as much, so not sure when you can expect him to be on the same page with Manning. As Welker said himself, if you don't run the route the way Manning wants then he won't throw it to you. I agree about the RBs too but the Oline needs to be much better.

I have more faith in Wes than you...and have no worries about Peyton getting rid of the ball....he had Linkenbach blocking for him here......he will be just fine in Denver lol.

Perhaps it was the  awful OL play all game & CB play Vs SF starters   , but suddenly in ist practice since thurs game  & surely hope they are not rushing things

But stud LT  Clady gets in a few reps with first team since surgery & DRC also gets a bit of work too, Welker was held out but not on injury list

Fox says easing them back in, Interesting Timing but most likely coincidence and next game not till a week from this Sunday

===================

Clady only played 4 snaps over 2 series  but its

a meaningful step toward Clady's recovery and his goal of starting the regular season opening against the Baltimore Ravens September 5th.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013-denver-broncos-training-camp/2013/8/10/4609330/ryan-clady-practices-on-schedule-for-season-opener

On Clady's first snap, the veteran lined up against second-year Bronco Derek Wolfe at defensive end; the 295-pounder was able to rush past and get the edge on Clady, disrupting Manning's pass with a near strip-sack.

(( Wolfe is good and Clady not really back so wouldnt read into that ))

"I have full range of motion, all that stuff," Clady told The Denver Post. "It's just getting used to being out there."

Rodgers-Cromartie said can do almost everything he wants to do on the ankle, and said he would be a game time decision for the team's next preseason matchup against Seattle. He expects to be back in 11-on-11 by Wednesday.

Heldout of practice

Wes Welker  , taking the field without a uniform on. Fox called it a "club decision" but did not list Welker in the injury report.

Others held out of practice included wide receivers Greg Orton (ankle) and Quincy McDuffie, tight ends Joel Dreessen (knee) and Jacob Tamme (quadriceps), and running back Jeremiah Johnson (knee).

also Broncos secondary is still without cornerback Tony Carter and safety Quinton Carter, who both had knee injuries.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_23835774/broncos-dominique-rodgers-cromartie-returns-practice-wes-welker

Perhaps it was the  awful OL play all game & CB play Vs SF starters   , but suddenly in ist practice since thurs game  & surely hope they are not rushing things

But stud LT  Clady gets in a few reps with first team since surgery & DRC also gets a bit of work too, Welker was held out but not on injury list

Fox says easing them back in, Interesting Timing but most likely coincidence and next game not till a week from this Sunday

===================

a meaningful step toward Clady's recovery and his goal of starting the regular season opening against the Baltimore Ravens September 5th.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013-denver-broncos-training-camp/2013/8/10/4609330/ryan-clady-practices-on-schedule-for-season-opener

On Clady's first snap, the veteran lined up against second-year Bronco Derek Wolfe at defensive end; the 295-pounder was able to rush past and get the edge on Clady, disrupting Manning's pass with a near strip-sack.

"I have full range of motion, all that stuff," Clady told The Denver Post. "It's just getting used to being out there."

Rodgers-Cromartie said can do almost everything he wants to do on the ankle, and said he would be a game time decision for the team's next preseason matchup against Seattle. He expects to be back in 11-on-11 by Wednesday.

Heldout of practice

Wes Welker  , taking the field without a uniform on. Fox called it a "club decision" but did not list Welker in the injury report.

Others held out of practice included wide receivers Greg Orton (ankle) and Quincy McDuffie, tight ends Joel Dreessen (knee) and Jacob Tamme (quadriceps), and running back Jeremiah Johnson (knee).

also Broncos secondary is still without cornerback Tony Carter and safety Quinton Carter, who both had knee injuries.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_23835774/broncos-dominique-rodgers-cromartie-returns-practice-wes-welker

This Bronco team reminds me of the Steeler and Raven teams of the last few years. All the potential and yet all the injuries....hopefully they get healthy at the right time....because to be honest this is a team that can make a run through the playoffs at home or on the road just as easily if they get everything right at the right time.

This Bronco team reminds me of the Steeler and Raven teams of the last few years. All the potential and yet all the injuries....hopefully they get healthy at the right time....because to be honest this is a team that can make a run through the playoffs at home or on the road just as easily if they get everything right at the right time.

agree, My heart will be pounding when / if  Colts play Broncos for afc champ, I always  want colts to win  but I really would like Peyton to get another SB  too , I respect him so & feel he deserves it , he gave all NFL fans such pleasure all these years

I would hate to be Peytons and Eli's parents when they play each other, they must just pray for both to come out healthy no matter who wins, has to be gut wrenching for them when sacks occur in any game and they are there watching

NFL network earlier in summer had a story that concluded if Colt Pat games were at RCA dome for the early afc champ games between the 2 teams Colts would have won and taken SB and been the dynasty, of course thats speculation 

anyway leaving

have a good weekend

dg..uyou hit it

The reason NE is so good offensively (and will be again this year) is their offensive line..

Most teams in the NFL have offensive line problems...that they cry about constanatly....NE does not..

It does not matter who Tom Brady is throwing to if he has time to throw..

The only time they looked bad against Phily was when Tim Tebow played..

I thought Denver looked very good derfnsively and that's where their questions are.

I dont agree that Denver's O-line is suspect...not when Clady and Lilja get settled in

===================

Heldout of practice

Dont panic 'B' 

When Clady does not play....worries about the blocking..when he praxctices...Hope we arent rushing him

No real games for 4 more weeks..

Did you really expect the Broncos to run the ball on the 49ers? I didnt.

Remember../..Manning is the QB, not Tebow or Cutler

I have more faith in Wes than you...and have no worries about Peyton getting rid of the ball....he had Linkenbach blocking for him here......he will be just fine in Denver lol.

No QB will throw you the ball if you dont turn the route the way he wants it.

Wes just said the sky is blue...is all

.Yours is  the best point...dg....Peyton's offensive line is vastly superior to what he had the last 2 or 3 years in Indy..

.and he has the best set of receivers he has ever had

I agree. Those first four games are nasty and could really hurt the Broncs out of the gate if he is gone. Their schedule is much tougher this year in general.

3 of the first 4 are at home and they other is in NY..   Von Miller will be back by game five

Denver's schedule still includes SD, KC and Oak....and that's 5-1

.The Broncos do play Jax and Tennessee and Denver does not play Atlanta, Green Bay, SF or Seattle

The schedule is really no tougher than 2012, don t you think?

3 of the first 4 are at home and they other is in NY..   Von Miller will be back by game five

Denver's schedule still includes SD, KC and Oak....and that's 5-1

.The Broncos do play Jax and Tennessee and Denver does not play Atlanta, Green Bay, SF or Seattle

The schedule is really no tougher than 2012, don t you think?

I think KC will be volumes better than last year with Reid and Smith. 1-1 there I think. Also think San Diego is much better as well now that Norv is gone and the moves they made in the off-season. Can see 1-1 there as well. So probably 4-2 in the division.

No games in the NFC East will be gimmes like last year with the Bucs, Panthers, Saints.

Then they still have the AFC brass - Pats, Texans, Ravens and also the Colts although I think Manning will have fire in his eyes for that game. :)

IMO it is much tougher but my larger point was that the first four games are tough so not having Miller would really hurt early in in the season.

Dont panic 'B' 

When Clady does not play....worries about the blocking..when he praxctices...Hope we arent rushing him

Expected a few runs to at least break away 

Not in panic , just dont want anyone rushed back even in practice so as to just re hurt on selves, timing of return was weird coincidence thats all but may have always been planned that way

Glad Clady only had few reps to test waters, DRC really on drills no action thats why surprised he thinks may be ready for next game in a week, just hope he realizes we heal slower when get older esp when had similar injuries as before

Hillman was talked so much about in TC expected something more, Ball I am sure still nervous, CJ anderson a surprise but against lower competition, but he is there biggest back

If Miller is suspended a good rush will be hard to generate , esp on a consistent basis, Denvers others rushers will be  game planned  on more by opposing offenses and blocking will be different as wont have to double Miller

Devils advocate hear, thats all

PS Julius Thomas can be a big part of offense if can stay healthy, some positions on D are nice surprises , undrafted   Duke In ( Nachos ) . played big as in TC

Still need to stop TE's

I think KC will be volumes better than last year with Reid and Smith. 1-1 there I think. Also think San Diego is much better as well now that Norv is gone and the moves they made in the off-season. Can see 1-1 there as well. So probably 4-2 in the division.

No games in the NFC East will be gimmes like last year with the Bucs, Panthers, Saints.

Then they still have the AFC brass - Pats, Texans, Ravens and also the Colts although I think Manning will have fire in his eyes for that game. :)

IMO it is much tougher but my larger point was that the first four games are tough so not having Miller would really hurt early in in the season.

KC will be tougher if players play to potential and improved staff does its thing, good off season moves

PS Remember all that ESPN talk / articles  about 2 TE or 2 backs sets to protect Peyton 

This now from Denver's new OC

But if the quarterbacks are under siege again, Gase believes he might call plays differently.

"There were a couple of playcalls where we were holding onto the ball. I think I was trying to open it up a little bit, but we'll see," he said. "I've got to be smarter, maybe get to some quick-gain, some max protections, quicker to help those guys out."

----------------

Also I never new this on Clady , so even though only took few snaps in Practice This is a promising note

work was promising, and offered an indication that Clady will be ready by Week 1, and won't need to endure the compressed preparation time prior to the 2010 season, when he didn't practice until the final week of the preseason and was rushed to play less than two weeks later in the regular-season opener against Jacksonville.

"We had to ease him in to that first game (in 2010), because he couldn't do anything until really close to the game," Gase recalled.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Five-Thoughts-from-Camp-Day-17/56333b9d-b7b7-4c5b-97e8-30d459082cc3

Dont panic 'B' 

....You must like Alex Smith.   I really dont..

and I cannot take Baltimore at Denver,  Oakland at Denver and Philadelphia at Denver as tough games...

.evebn if 1/2 the defense doesnt play

Who plays QB for Oakland and who plays receiver for Phily ..These are losing teams

Baltimore is stil shuffling the lineup on BOTH sides of the ball.

The 'Manning Bowl' should be a tough game but dont expect the loss of Von Miller to slow Denver's offense.

Not happening

PS Remember all that ESPN talk / articles  about 2 TE or 2 backs sets to protect Peyton 

This now from Denver's new OC

But if the quarterbacks are under siege again, Gase believes he might call plays differently.

"There were a couple of playcalls where we were holding onto the ball. I think I was trying to open it up a little bit, but we'll see," he said. "I've got to be smarter, maybe get to some quick-gain, some max protections, quicker to help those guys out."

----------------

Also I never new this on Clady , so even though only took few snaps in Practice This is a promising note

work was promising, and offered an indication that Clady will be ready by Week 1, and won't need to endure the compressed preparation time prior to the 2010 season, when he didn't practice until the final week of the preseason and was rushed to play less than two weeks later in the regular-season opener against Jacksonville.

"We had to ease him in to that first game (in 2010), because he couldn't do anything until really close to the game," Gase recalled.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Five-Thoughts-from-Camp-Day-17/56333b9d-b7b7-4c5b-97e8-30d459082cc3

I agree that he needs practice time....but, as much as I want the season to begin tomorrow,.,,its still Sept 5.  a long way off.

..and I dont think young Mr. Gase is going to call any plays or formations that Peyton Manning does not want.

Lets wait and see on the O-line. We didnt run the ball on SF but nobody does...

I agree that he needs practice time....but, as much as I want the season to begin tomorrow,.,,its still Sept 5.  a long way off.

..and I dont think young Mr. Gase is going to call any plays or formations that Peyton Manning does not want.

Lets wait and see on the O-line. We didnt run the ball on SF but nobody does...

I find it interesting that shaun Phillips who I thought was doing well, says at first he doubted his football ability in OTAs, now he has learned what he is supposed to do and needs to learn what others are supposed to do so I can only imagine work well as a unit

apparently he has much more duties in Denver than when a charger and thats what hes putting all together

Great , he has 3 more weeks to get even more comfortable means more upside

Malik Johnson played well in preseason game, that to was a upgrade from last year , appeared more decisive in his attack to me

Broncos' Shaun Phillips still mastering a new defensive system

overcoming a confusing start with the Broncos, which left him questioning his ability, with hard work.

"During OTAs, I wasn't sure of how good I was at football anymore."

"It's a completely different scheme," Phillips said. "But I'm getting adjusted. The guys are helping me. Now that I know the playbook pretty well, I've just got to learn the nuances within the defense. I know what I'm doing. Now I just need to figure out what everyone else is doing at the same time so it can allow me to make more plays."

His responsibilities are a huge departure from what he was accustomed to with the Chargers, where his primary task was to keep his outside arm free and chase down ball carriers to the edge — or rush the passer.

"Now I'm more of a two-way presence," Phillips said. "I've got to be able to make the play inside and make the play outside. It allows you to make more plays, so it's good. It was the complete opposite in San Diego."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23841957/broncos-shaun-phillips-still-mastering-new-defensive-system

....You must like Alex Smith.   I really dont..

and I cannot take Baltimore at Denver,  Oakland at Denver and Philadelphia at Denver as tough games...

.evebn if 1/2 the defense doesnt play

Who plays QB for Oakland and who plays receiver for Phily ..These are losing teams

Baltimore is stil shuffling the lineup on BOTH sides of the ball.

The 'Manning Bowl' should be a tough game but dont expect the loss of Von Miller to slow Denver's offense.

Not happening

Smith is a huge improvement over Cassell and Quinn expecially in an Andy Reid offense. KC almost beat Denver last year. They have a solid D too. I think a split is likely.

I agree about Oakland being a losing team but Philly is not (at least not yet anyways, their O looked pretty impressive against the Pats) and certainly not the Ravens. Their D is actually younger and better this year than last year although I think Flacco will miss Boldin a lot. Neither game is a gimme unlike last year.

I am not saying that Denver will necessarily lose all these games but they won't be walks in the park like last year and from what I saw of Denver so far they look worse especially on the Oline than last year. And their D was never their strength and if Miller misses time then the beginning of the season could be dicey.

Smith is a huge improvement over Cassell and Quinn expecially in an Andy Reid offense. KC almost beat Denver last year. They have a solid D too. I think a split is likely.

I agree about Oakland being a losing team but Philly is not (at least not yet anyways, their O looked pretty impressive against the Pats) and certainly not the Ravens. Their D is actually younger and better this year than last year although I think Flacco will miss Boldin a lot. Neither game is a gimme unlike last year.

I am not saying that Denver will necessarily lose all these games but they won't be walks in the park like last year and from what I saw of Denver so far they look worse especially on the Oline than last year. And their D was never their strength and if Miller misses time then the beginning of the season could be dicey.

I think KC is vastly improved with new FO , players signed and pro bowlers kept, that new FO will know how to use all in a much more efficient and cohesive manner , KC many times just stabbed themselves in the foot with mistakes, eliminating them even without making more plays will equate to a much better team amd  more points and improved D, let alone when u add in the more plays I expect that team to make

Only the Giants 'D' can shut down Peyton..

Without Ed  Reed..Baltimore cant slow Denver In Denver. Its wont be 7 degrees this time...and Denver's offense is buklke dup over even last year when they were No. 2 in the NFL..

Philadelphia has MAJOR defensive problems and their new hurry-up offense plays into Denver's hands.

I love the Raiders but its not 1982..

and dont say 'Walks in the park'  

It just sounds funny